Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Having had my hopes dashed for Ibiza for winter I'm now thinking Greece. Driving down to Ancona and travelling back up through eastern Europe. All unchartered territory for me.

So, winter in Greece. Doable? Places to stay? Safe for a solo female?

I'm not bothered about facilities/attractions/restaurants, I have a simple life. Somewhere to buy good food, places to walk, places to do yoga and opportunities to meet up with lovely people are all I ask for.

I don't even want it to be roasting hot. I'm just happy so long as I see some blue skies occasionally (unlike the summer so far on the Island where I've currently got the fire on).

Any ideas, comments, encouragement?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A couple of years ago we did Greece in Sept/Oct, this was our trip. Greece is mostly mountainous and can be cold with snow over the winter. Need to research the climate for areas you are planning on visiting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We lived in Crete for several years and still visit for a few months each year. Our base is the most Southerly point in Europe and it can still snow in the winter, even at beach level. Jan/Feb are usually the worse months.

Check out this site and take a look at the historical weather data. It will give you a good idea of what to expect. Here is the data for January 2016.
https://www.wunderground.com/histor...eqdb.zip=00000&reqdb.magic=35&reqdb.wmo=16756

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi @JackieP we are planning on a longish tour of Greece in 2018, thinking of getting there towards the end of March and maybe staying until the beginning of June. If the weather is consistently terrible we will drift over to Spain, if good we will travel back through Bulgaria, Romania, Hungry and Croatia.

Having said that, I haven't done any research or planning yet so it could all change!!

Big Bird

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Carlisle
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Armytwowheels, looks like you've nicked our trip! Planning on setting off mid March to Istanbul via Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania etc and returning the same route as you in middle of June. Doing quite a bit of research and digging suitable stopovers out from campercontact, searchforsites & park4night plus all the rules for the different countries. Surely we'll bump into each other?! :-D

Big Bird

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Carlisle
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for that @Armytwowheels, it's my first day posting on here so need a bit of guidance. I've done a Google map for our trip which you might find interesting if you have a Google account. I could email it to you?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Armytwowheels, looks like you've nicked our trip! Planning on setting off mid March to Istanbul via Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania etc and returning the same route as you in middle of June. Doing quite a bit of research and digging suitable stopovers out from campercontact, searchforsites & park4night plus all the rules for the different countries. Surely we'll bump into each other?! :-D
You never know we could meet up. We are fantastic at having a plan and doing something completey different though, so who knows.

I do keep checking the ferry sites as they don't seem to be taking bookings for the spring yet.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
I do keep checking the ferry sites as they don't seem to be taking bookings for the spring yet.

Hi, if you mean the Italy Greece ferries, the main players, Anek/Superfast and Minoan don't usually release their prices for the following year until mid to late December.

Pete

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The climate of Greece is mediterranean with summers that are usually hot and dry, and the winters that can be quiet cold and wet. The upper part of Greece can be very cold during the winter and snow is not uncommon. However, for the south of Greece and the islands, the winters will be milder.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Another one who will be heading that way springtime. Previously only driven thru the Peloponnese so really looking forward to exploring the area.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I over wintered in Greece for the last two years. Wonderful welcoming country full of treasures BUT as has been said all but the Peloponnese has pretty dire weather especially Jan Feb and even there the days you will go up in shorts are very limited and it is mountainous and snowy inland.

Thoughly recommend the country but don't expect Iberian weather.

Dick

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Ok - you guys are off to Greece - however the original op here @JackieP is actual making her way to Morocco now for the winter I believe :)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Mmm - I know Plakias in S Crete (more or less opposite Heraklion) has snow some winters - and it suddenly turns VERY rainy in mid/late October, but then it is a very rugged mountainous isle, facing a vast expanse of open sea - so I wouldn't expect very much else really!

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Wildcamped on Plakias for about 6 weeks many years ago when it was just a little village and a taverna down the other end. Was a lovely spot then :)

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
2018 Early Booking !
Minoan Lines & Anek / Superfast Ferries Italy - GreeceItaly - Greece

20% discount on all passenger and vehicle fares!
Valid for all your ferry trips from 01.01.18 – 31.12.18 as long as your booking is finalized by 28.02.18 !
Anek / Superfast Ferries Italy - Greece

When booked through Greekferries Club!
Schedules and prices for 2018 are available on their website...
http://greekferries.gr/

Pete

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We're seriously considering Greece April/May. Be keeping an eye on these threads.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back