Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
littlehampton sussex
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
Went away to the CC site at Brighton this weekend, but when I started to pump the water through to pressurize the system, water started to come gushing out of the outside shower connection, had a good fiddle with it pushing the valve in ect, seems plenty of pressure but couldn’t stop the water coming out. In the end left the hose and showerhead connected all weekend. It looks like that I need to source another valve. It’s the standard rapido outside shower .Any info would be much appreciated.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Roger, got to ask.. Did you leave the tap closed during the icy periods ?
If so then yup.. new one will be on the shopping list for you :Sad:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Went away to the CC site at Brighton this weekend, but when I started to pump the water through to pressurize the system, water started to come gushing out of the outside shower connection, had a good fiddle with it pushing the valve in ect, seems plenty of pressure but couldn’t stop the water coming out. In the end left the hose and showerhead connected all weekend. It looks like that I need to source another valve. It’s the standard rapido outside shower .Any info would be much appreciated.

Hi not sure what the valve is but if you ring my lot I am sure they will know.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Had the same issue with my Rapido on preparing to go away at Feb half-term.

The outlet 'wept' water under pressure, and I couldn't stop it.

When I looked into the outlet, there was an 'O' ring which had been slightly displaced (pushed forward in one quadrant -presumably by a little bit of residual water forming ice in the very cold weather).

It wasn't sealing, and there was no way I could get it to re-seat fully circular by pushing it in (the valve is spring loaded and makes it virtually impossible to put a ring in from the front.)

(Incidentally, neither could I stop it leaking by leaving the shower in - so things might be slightly different from your issue - but the dismantling info should help.)

Looking at the head of the outlet, it is hex shaped to take a socket/spanner. I came to the conclusion it should dismantle for detective work, but on putting gentle pressure on with a socket, I wasn't convinced that the pipework wasn't moving, so I stopped.

After dismantling the van interior to get to the back of the pipework, I discovered that I was unlikely to damage anything unless I put an inordinate amount of force on the socket - so I tried again.

This time, the outlet head unscrewed, and I could get at and dismantle the valve. The 'O' ring, having been pulled out earlier, was then reinserted from the rear of the outlet (against a small retaining lip) and everything re-assembled. Success! (all this from outside the unit)

The single 'O' ring completes the valve seal (the valve face being brass and thus needing something to butt up to), and also forms the seal with the shower unit when it is inserted - the 'male' plug being shaped to engage with the outer face of the 'O' ring and push the valve back.

The retaining lip is very shallow, so I'm quite surprised I've not had problems before. I'm thinking of lining the cover with polystyrene before next winter.

Hope this helps - the offending 'O' ring is easily visible by looking into the outlet, even when it is properly seated. I would suspect some issue in this area. (My external shower unit is the one that doesn't have on/off - the valve accomplishes that - and a single temperature tap - I think Rapido are still using it so yours is probably the same).

OP
OP
roger

roger

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
littlehampton sussex
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
Thanks for the very helpfull info -as soon as its gets a bit warmer I will check it out.
Best wishes
Roger

Had the same issue with my Rapido on preparing to go away at Feb half-term.

The outlet 'wept' water under pressure, and I couldn't stop it.

When I looked into the outlet, there was an 'O' ring which had been slightly displaced (pushed forward in one quadrant -presumably by a little bit of residual water forming ice in the very cold weather).

It wasn't sealing, and there was no way I could get it to re-seat fully circular by pushing it in (the valve is spring loaded and makes it virtually impossible to put a ring in from the front.)

(Incidentally, neither could I stop it leaking by leaving the shower in - so things might be slightly different from your issue - but the dismantling info should help.)

Looking at the head of the outlet, it is hex shaped to take a socket/spanner. I came to the conclusion it should dismantle for detective work, but on putting gentle pressure on with a socket, I wasn't convinced that the pipework wasn't moving, so I stopped.

After dismantling the van interior to get to the back of the pipework, I discovered that I was unlikely to damage anything unless I put an inordinate amount of force on the socket - so I tried again.

This time, the outlet head unscrewed, and I could get at and dismantle the valve. The 'O' ring, having been pulled out earlier, was then reinserted from the rear of the outlet (against a small retaining lip) and everything re-assembled. Success! (all this from outside the unit)

The single 'O' ring completes the valve seal (the valve face being brass and thus needing something to butt up to), and also forms the seal with the shower unit when it is inserted - the 'male' plug being shaped to engage with the outer face of the 'O' ring and push the valve back.

The retaining lip is very shallow, so I'm quite surprised I've not had problems before. I'm thinking of lining the cover with polystyrene before next winter.

Hope this helps - the offending 'O' ring is easily visible by looking into the outlet, even when it is properly seated. I would suspect some issue in this area. (My external shower unit is the one that doesn't have on/off - the valve accomplishes that - and a single temperature tap - I think Rapido are still using it so yours is probably the same).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back