Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
We are looking to buy a new car with a view to towing it on a A frame and and we like the VAUXHALL AGILA.

Does anyone tow this car on a A frame i would appreciate any information and advice that you could provide.

We have never towed before so we are completly in the dark

Thanks
billy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry cant help with that particular car but do you mean brand new or new to you.

the reason......extra bits have to be welded/ drilled and bolted to the front of the car and it could void the bodywork warranty on a new motor.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
We are looking to buy a new car with a view to towing it on a A frame and and we like the VAUXHALL AGILA.

Does anyone tow this car on a A frame i would appreciate any information and advice that you could provide.

Thanks
billy

Hi, Billy I think it will be ok but you will need to have either a trailer board with an extended lead to your van or have the agila wired with a socket on the front (preferred) so you don't have a long wire trailing about. We tow a smart without any problems. You will also need a no plate with the van number on when towing.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
I had an Agila, never towed it but I really liked it. Spacious for its size and good high seating position. Make sure you get on with air-con,
Violet

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I don't know the gvw of the Agila but watch the weight limits on your licence and your towing vehicle

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Can't really help with your model but;

Towing with an A frame is fairly straight forward but as always in life, not as striaght forward as one would like.

Reversing is an art, insurance, especially on a new(ish) car can be an issue. Most companies limit cover to £1000.00 or third party only. Affect on MPG is negliable although there's an awareness of the toad(towed) when climbing. Keeps the miles off my main car as I use it for work. Would I recommend? definately, best thing we did.

Hope this helps

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Can't really help with your model but;

Towing with an A frame is fairly straight forward but as always in life, not as striaght forward as one would like.

Reversing is an art,
********************************************************************************
Hi, when I used to tow the smarty I found that reversing was impossible as the front wheels would turn as soon as you started, whether you were in a straight line or not. Whether this was solely on the Smart I dont Know.

Brian

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The Peugeot 107 wheels allow straight reversing for a short distance on aframe

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
The Peugeot 107 wheels allow straight reversing for a short distance on aframe

Agreed, if the road is fairly level and little camber then short distance reversing, slowly and with care is possible. When towing with the A frame I am always more aware of potential problems and the possible need to unhitch. Inconvenient but not a disaster.

david and ann

Free Member
Jan 3, 2009
Sax Alicante
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years

Thanks
billy

Hola Billy:Smile:
Cant help you on towing wth an Agila but i did own one for four years. It was a 1.2 and had plenty of room especially for taller guys. It had all the toys/bits on it that i needed as well.
Never really had any probs at all except usuall replacments like pads etc. Cracking little car. Would recommend one anytime.
Take care
David T
Needed more boot space though so bought fiesta tdci.

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning

Thanks
billy
HI .Billy we tow our 09 reg agila on a frame.If you send me pm.I will arange to contact you with any info you require.
JohnM. :thumb:

raymondo782

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Lydney, Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
2 years
towing with A frame

Hi
We tow a Citroen c1 and add the following.
1. Reversing virtually impossible as overun brake is applied as soon as you reverse.
2. As the overun brake operates on the car's brake pedal everytime you slow down either using engine braking the car's brake lights come on powered by the car battery. This is no problem normally but on very long journeys it flattens the car's battery.
I fitted a switch between the battery and the cars electrics which cured the problem.

cliff

Free Member
May 29, 2009
Funster No
A Frame Towing

Talk to Towsure in Devon they are most helpfull and will have a kit or have agents to fit for you.

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
i used to tow a beach buggy years ago, un braked a-frame as the buggy was registered properly as a kit car with new GVW's that were set at 750 kilos,

reversing was 99% impossible, could go straight back if the road was level, but the slightest camber change, pot hole or turn of the van, and the wheels would fly over to max stop, and it would get bound up,

i had someone sit in the buggy once to hold the steering wheel, and he said the wheel was wrenched out of his hands so violently and banged against the end stops, he was certian his thumbs would have been broken if he was not holding the wheel as he did when off roading (thumps ontop of the wheel, never around it)

so i did the simple thing, when ever i needed to reverse, i grabbed the bungie cord, disconnected the A-frame from the van, and held the frame off the road with the cord around one of the wipers and the ball socket.. bit of a pain as i was single at the time, easy to do if you have a partner, that's how i plan to do it when i get an a-frame for my smart, i.e. my gf will jump out and manouver the car, whilst i turn the van around.

obviousely with braked a-frames you have the added problem of the brakes being applied when you go backwards, i really dont know why no one has done the obvious, and fitted a solenoid operated pin that is activated when the vans reversing lights are on, and locks the moving part of the coupling to prevent it operating the brakes.

they do that with the rear steering on HGV trailers, when reverse is selected a solenoid engauges in a notch in the mechanism, locking the wheels straight.

val-h

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Funster No
Considering you have never towed before. unhitching is the easiest option with an 'A' frame system.

There is another option though. It is possible to get yourself a small car trailer that is designed specifically for towing small cars behind Motorhomes (I saw one on ebay 'complete with 03 reg car' for 5k only a few weeks ago). This makes reversing much easier, and when not in use can be used for carrying other things.

I would also think it would be a cheaper option too, as you would not need to pay a garage to do the 'A' frame fitting to the new car (in order not to invalidate your warranty) as a trailer would cost around £600-£1700

Here's a couple of examples I just found on ebay (no connections).

Link Removed

Link Removed

The 'Brian James' model looks like it would easily carry your car. Thus saving you money, extra insurance and hassle.

Finaly it would be wise and well worth it to book yourself onto a trailer reversing course. Contact your local LGV training centre or the Caravan Club. These people can advise you where you can do such a course.

Hope this helps, good luck and happy touring.

Val.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back