Any solos travelling Spain Portugal from Jan 18? (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hey all

As I'm going to be new to longterm travelling Europe it would be good to meet up with others who have experience or like myself first timing.
I'm planning to set off from UK around 5-10 January 18 I've no set route but would like to do coast of Spain and Portugal in no hurry, I prefer to wildcamp or use Aires where possible but not against the odd smaller camp site, not really in to big commercial sites and as I've also no idea yet how far my budget will stretch any good tips and recommendations for places to visit and camp etc are always going to be helpful
Also I should mention it doesn't have to be other solos I'm just conscious that couples tend to not want gooseberries tagging along

peter321

Free Member
Aug 6, 2017
Funster No
hi northern raider, i am also looking to buy a motorhome and go travelling europe, i live in the south of spain. here there are plenty places to wild camp.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
hi northern raider, i am also looking to buy a motorhome and go travelling europe, i live in the south of spain. here there are plenty places to wild camp.
Good to hear as it's one of the main places I Plan to visit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kjack

Free Member
Sep 1, 2017
Chard
Funster No
MH
Iveco daily
Exp
Since 2010
Hi I'm landing in santander January 14 if any good to solo travelers heading south. Kjack

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hi I'm landing in santander January 14 if any good to solo travelers heading south. Kjack
Might be the same time as me, I've not decided whether I'm going diver to calais and driving through France to Spain or whether I'll go Portsmouth to santander... Will decide closer to time

I'm in no rush

Kjack

Free Member
Sep 1, 2017
Chard
Funster No
MH
Iveco daily
Exp
Since 2010
Watch the ferry prices out of Portsmouth they go up as the time gets closer. They have gone up 50 quid in the last 7 weeks glad I booked early.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Watch the ferry prices out of Portsmouth they go up as the time gets closer. They have gone up 50 quid in the last 7 weeks glad I booked early.
Yeah I noticed that.... I can't decide if I want to skip France initially and just head straight to Spain as I'd imagine it will be warmer than the north west of france in January

Might go check some ferry prices tonight

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
just head straight to Spain as I'd imagine it will be warmer than the north west of france in January

Southern Spain is pleasant in January but we've driven through snow in northern Spain to get there.

"Pleasant" is the operative word, yes many days are sunshine, shorts and tee-shirt but it still gets dark early and the temp drops dramatically. Be prepared.

Santander is good but one year the ferry was cancelled and they just about forced a refund on us rather than go later. So the trek through France was made. Biggest problem were the gales which had stopped the ferry sailing. A motorhome can be very unpleasant in a gale.

gabbie12

Free Member
Apr 29, 2011
tayside
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
40 years
Hey all

As I'm going to be new to longterm travelling Europe it would be good to meet up with others who have experience or like myself first timing.
I'm planning to set off from UK around 5-10 January 18 I've no set route but would like to do coast of Spain and Portugal in no hurry, I prefer to wildcamp or use Aires where possible but not against the odd smaller camp site, not really in to big commercial sites and as I've also no idea yet how far my budget will stretch any good tips and recommendations for places to visit and camp etc are always going to be helpful
Also I should mention it doesn't have to be other solos I'm just conscious that couples tend to not want gooseberries tagging along
Hi northernraider, I have driven over from Broughty Ferry, to Algarve. Solo, but that was years ago. Plymouth to Santander ferry, I found this was the best way cutting out France, as I was just keen to get to my house in algarve.
I would like to do this again but a bit wary now, no longer have the property in Portugal, so a leisurely pace would suit me, it would be good to travel with another motorhomer.

Kjack

Free Member
Sep 1, 2017
Chard
Funster No
MH
Iveco daily
Exp
Since 2010
Hi I am going out of Portsmouth 13 January 18 .I did have plans but kicked them out the window. I am now going to trundle down towards the algarve at a steady plod if you fancy trundling down together just shout.
Kjack.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hey all

I've also no idea yet how far my budget will stretch any good tips and recommendations for places to visit and camp etc are always going to be helpful

Many Brits and other's overwinter in Spain and Portugal with Spain being more popular. Portugal comes into it's own once the weather improves from mid March onwards and you will be surprised how easy it is to drive in Europe, Spain and France have a much better road network than us with many of their motorways and dual carriageways toll free.
Anyway, I have some recommendations for you below which will meet your requirements above. Safe Journey.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is for an award winning database about France. It’s big and with a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. The whole route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s and fewer using roads on Saturday compared to other days).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: We avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (about 2.50 euros). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (Fuel costs approx. €126.72. (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.20 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi I am going out of Portsmouth 13 January 18 .I did have plans but kicked them out the window. I am now going to trundle down towards the algarve at a steady plod if you fancy trundling down together just shout.
Kjack.
Don't want to put a spoiler on your plans but the Algarve is going to be cold and very wet in Jan-Feb. You will be warmer and a lot drier in Spain, with the Murcia region being the driest and it does not get much more warmer the further south from here you travel. This is fundamentally why Benidorm is so popular in the winter.

Kjack

Free Member
Sep 1, 2017
Chard
Funster No
MH
Iveco daily
Exp
Since 2010
well that is the plan if weather is crap to cross over to the other side.At the end of the day it's going to be crap in the UK it's about being out and about. Only here once.

gabbie12

Free Member
Apr 29, 2011
tayside
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
40 years
Kjack.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@PhilandMena thats a rather long useful post you have put up(y)

Strangely enough we just met someone whose been singing your praises as an informative funster. :)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
What’s the cheapest ferry ,
Assuming you mean from Portsmouth to Santander it's going to be with Brittany Ferries. Here's the link to there website.
http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/f...ntander/economie-service-cheap-ferry-to-spain
As I understand it, you get further discounts if your a member of Club Voyage (I think it costs about £100.00 for membership ?).
If your a huge gas guzzling RV this route option makes financial sense. If your a 3.5T motorhome it does not! However, it's all down to personal preferences and there are lots of members here who prefer to pay the going rate to cross from the UK to Spain even with the risk of a rough crossing through the Bay of Biscay.
Safe Journey.

Kjack

Free Member
Sep 1, 2017
Chard
Funster No
MH
Iveco daily
Exp
Since 2010
I payed 380 a couple. Of mths ago im going january 13 7 mtr van Portsmouth santander can't be bothered to drive through France .sod the expense you only live once.

Deleted User
Don't want to put a spoiler on your plans but the Algarve is going to be cold and very wet in Jan-Feb. You will be warmer and a lot drier in Spain, with the Murcia region being the driest and it does not get much more warmer the further south from here you travel. This is fundamentally why Benidorm is so popular in the winter.

It was absolutely awful in the Algarve this January......
Full sun.......15 days

Sun/cloud....13 days

Rain shower..3 days

Min night temp 4°

Max day shade 20°

February was a even worse

Full sun ............3 days

Sun/cloud ..........11 days

Cloud..................8 days

Rain....................5 days

Thunderstorm.......1 day

Min.....6°

Max....20°

Absolutely awful.........don't come;)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Well it looks like 2017 was better than average.

http://www.holiday-weather.com/algarve/averages/

Weather lowdown

January is the coldest time of the year in Albufeira, Portugal when the average temperature is a mild 12°C, created by highs of up to 16°C and lows of 8°C. Although the average sea temperature is a pleasant 16°C, the average rainfall is very high at 97mm across 14 days. Despite the wet weather, Albufeira enjoys around five hours of sunshine each day, providing you with plenty of time to lounge by the pool or explore the resort.

Deleted User
Well it looks like 2017 was better than average.

http://www.holiday-weather.com/algarve/averages/

Weather lowdown

January is the coldest time of the year in Albufeira, Portugal when the average temperature is a mild 12°C, created by highs of up to 16°C and lows of 8°C. Although the average sea temperature is a pleasant 16°C, the average rainfall is very high at 97mm across 14 days. Despite the wet weather, Albufeira enjoys around five hours of sunshine each day, providing you with plenty of time to lounge by the pool or explore the resort.

I will concede that on average the weather in Benidorm Jan/Feb is slightly better than the Algarve but I know where I would rather be.......it's not Albufeira either:)

Kjack

Free Member
Sep 1, 2017
Chard
Funster No
MH
Iveco daily
Exp
Since 2010
I'm hard I'm going for adventure and the freedom of roaming around. I have just spent 40 years driving trucks all over the place through out the EU germany sweden Holand Belgium and many more.ceutra to the north of England on a regular basis across all kinds of weather snow fog ice stuck for days on ports and borders been arrested and locked up on one border. So lm hope this trip will be a bit milder. Kj

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back