Handbrake Problem - Fiat 2.8JTD Alko Chassis (1 Viewer)

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

Just had my 2006 2.8JTD Fiat Bessacarr at 4 ton rating, through MOT and again this year I have an advisory note that the handbrake only just meets required MOT level. The handbrake has no problem holding the van on the steepest of hills, yet on the brake rollers only just meets efficiency. The van does have the ALKO chassis.
Has anybody else experienced this problem and if so is there a fix ?.
Thanks.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Very common on Tag axles - but since it has passed, I would be quite happy!! I have seen tags fail every year and cost hundreds in new part to just scrape by. The early one was the main problem, the later one had proper axles and though difficult, did pass alot easier.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi,

Just had my 2006 2.8JTD Fiat Bessacarr at 4 ton rating, through MOT and again this year I have an advisory note that the handbrake only just meets required MOT level. The handbrake has no problem holding the van on the steepest of hills, yet on the brake rollers only just meets efficiency. The van does have the ALKO chassis.
Has anybody else experienced this problem and if so is there a fix ?.
Thanks.
This is going to get confusing
Often hand brake data is mis interpreted by the tester inso much as the parking brake pass criteria is a minuscule 16% efficiency, in real terms the average is about 27%
so your vehicle is put on the roller tester and the hand brake locks the wheels,(it cant get any more efficient than that) how ever when the calculation is done it may show it as being say 17%, and thats where it all goes wrong,
When that figure is achieved without wheels locking, the tester is right to advise that you have only just met the pass criteria, BUT when both wheels have locked he should not pass comment despite the low reading, because even if it only made 13% it would still pass as both wheels have locked out ie maximum efficiency has been met:thumb:
He may have clicked the advise button in error forgetting you had lock out on both wheels and if as you say it works on the steepest of hills that would confirm what has happened, and you have no problems at all with your brake
if your at all concerned call the MoT station and ask for the brake readouts and what wheels locked out
Geo
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Had same problem with my Kontiki last month with MOT, failed,:cry: because of hand brake failure,:Angry: my mechanic had to strip down the brake cylinders, all fixed now and then passed.:Smile:

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Geo wil know more soon as soon as we can get our Knaus booked in to him to have a look at the rear brakes on the Al-Ko chassis which only just passed the MOT ......

OP
OP
Supertractorman

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
This is going to get confusing
Often hand brake data is mis interpreted by the tester inso much as the parking brake pass criteria is a minuscule 16% efficiency, in real terms the average is about 27%
so your vehicle is put on the roller tester and the hand brake locks the wheels,(it cant get any more efficient than that) how ever when the calculation is done it may show it as being say 17%, and thats where it all goes wrong,
When that figure is achieved without wheels locking, the tester is right to advise that you have only just met the pass criteria, BUT when both wheels have locked he should not pass comment despite the low reading, because even if it only made 13% it would still pass as both wheels have locked out ie maximum efficiency has been met:thumb:
He may have clicked the advise button in error forgetting you had lock out on both wheels and if as you say it works on the steepest of hills that would confirm what has happened, and you have no problems at all with your brake
if your at all concerned call the MoT station and ask for the brake readouts and what wheels locked out
Geo
Geo

Geo,

Thanks for the comments, as you know we had this discussion when I brought the van through to you for service last year. This year I decided to use a different Test Station and got the same results. The testers comment was not to worry about the result as it is common to have border line results on vans. One comment he made was that the only input he could put in the machine was the gross weight as there is no recorded unladen ( empty ) weight for the van.
I was more interested to know if any other M/H owners had met with this problem.

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Geo,

Thanks for the comments, as you know we had this discussion when I brought the van through to you for service last year. This year I decided to use a different Test Station and got the same results. The testers comment was not to worry about the result as it is common to have border line results on vans. One comment he made was that the only input he could put in the machine was the gross weight as there is no recorded unladen ( empty ) weight for the van.
I was more interested to know if any other M/H owners had met with this problem.

David
The question is simply did both back wheels lock
if so any percentage readings are worthless and meaningless even if they only make 2% they are as efficiant as there going to get, Locked

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back