Ducato Euro 5 engine oil (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Am I obliged to use the Fiat Selinia engine oil in my 2015 2.3 130bhp Ducato or can I use any ACEA C2 standard oil? The manual seems to imply that I can but it also mentions a FIAT classification number.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Am I obliged to use the Fiat Selinia engine oil in my 2015 2.3 130bhp Ducato or can I use any ACEA C2 standard oil? The manual seems to imply that I can but it also mentions a FIAT classification number.

Advisable to avoid warranty issues if still under warranty:)

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Warranty ran out two months ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Advisable to avoid warranty issues if still under warranty:)
I tend to agree. After some research I bought oil to top up our 2016 Euro 5 Ducato from the local Fiat main dealer, in order to get the correct one. It is a bit of a minefield these days... (y)

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
To quote from Fiat's manual "the use of products with specifications other than those indicated above could cause damage to the engine not covered by the warranty". Their "above" specification was "SAE SW-5W-30 ACEA C2 grade synthetic base lubricants". It doesn't specifically say to use the Selenia product in that warning.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Much as I hate to do so, I do buy the Fiat Selenia oil for my 2016 E5

I learned long ago that to cut corners on buying cheap Halfrauds brand oil was a false economy

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Warranty ran out two months ago.

Ok - no reason not to use other make to same spec then - however you can find Selenia at good prices or even buy it bulk from Fiat dealer in your own container at half the price of canned stuff :)

Deleted User
An additional difficulty is that you often don't know (unless you ask) exactly which oil the dealer used for the service, might have used the right spec but which brand not always clear especially if it is not a Fiat main dealer. You could go to a lot of trouble chasing Selinia oil down only to find that's not what was used in the service. Not recommending it, however, I took the exact spec down from the handbook and bought Castrol Magnatec off Amazon. Not sure about other Ducato's, however, mine uses surprisingly little oil between services so I have worried slightly less about it.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I use Shell Helix Ultra ECT, much cheaper than Selenia, more easily available and meets the correct Fiat specification. Opie Oils are one of the cheapest suppliers.

When I say cheaper, it's still a fairly expensive oil, but you need to avoid cheap oil which, although the correct viscocity, may not meet the correct specification and could shorten the life of your DPF, EGR etc.

You are not going to do any harm topping up the sump with a different brand of oil as long as it meets the required specification. If you do a full oil change then you know going forward what is in the vehicle though, but bear in mind you need diagnostic equipment to reset the oil change and degredation counters on Euro 5 and 6 Ducatos.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
For new vehicles - I think another thing to think about is that first oil change?

Fiat say for mine first service / oil change at 16,000 miles !!! It's hard to believe that is good practice - I've actually changed the oil and filter at 10,000 and it didn't look very good! Bit later than I would have liked but was abroad clocking up the miles.

That won't of course appear on the service record.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Ours has never needed a top up but we do have the oil changed every year.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
but bear in mind you need diagnostic equipment to reset the oil change and degredation counters on Euro 5 and 6 Ducatos.
Does this mean that oil changes can only be done by a Fiat Professional garage then?

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I use Shell Helix Ultra ECT, much cheaper than Selenia, more easily available and meets the correct Fiat specification. Opie Oils are one of the cheapest suppliers.

When I say cheaper, it's still a fairly expensive oil, but you need to avoid cheap oil which, although the correct viscocity, may not meet the correct specification and could shorten the life of your DPF, EGR etc.

You are not going to do any harm topping up the sump with a different brand of oil as long as it meets the required specification. If you do a full oil change then you know going forward what is in the vehicle though, but bear in mind you need diagnostic equipment to reset the oil change and degredation counters on Euro 5 and 6 Ducatos.
I use Opie as well, always good service. So far not needed to top up on 2015 with 14500 miles, quite surprised by that. Also I do like Fuchs oil which I get from Opie via ebay or their web site.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I believe the Ducato handbook specifies Selena oil and the appropriate specification reference. If I had a newish vehicle within warranty I would make dam sure that the correct oil was used. The reason for this being that warranty claims are authorised by the manufacturer not the servicing dealer. After the warranty period is over any quality oil of the correct spec should be fine.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I believe the Ducato handbook specifies Selena oil and the appropriate specification reference. If I had a newish vehicle within warranty I would make dam sure that the correct oil was used. The reason for this being that warranty claims are authorised by the manufacturer not the servicing dealer. After the warranty period is over any quality oil of the correct spec should be fine.

The correct oil is any ACEA C2 oil meeting or exceeding the stated Fiat specification. Fiat recommend (not require) Selenia oil because they have a technical and commercial link to the company.

Volvo recommend Castrol oil in my car's handbook, because they have a marketing arrangement with Castrol. Neither of my two local main dealers use it.

As has been mentioned above, although many Fiat Professional dealers will stock or be able to sell you Selenia oil they almost certainly use a different brand of oil in their workshops, which they buy more cheaply in bulk drums or containers, but still charge the customer by the retail price per litre.

My handbook says that Fiat recommend Selenia oil, not that they demand it. They do however state that any oil used must meet Fiat technical specification 955535-S1 (or 955535-S2 I believe for later vehicles). Almost all major oil manufacturers are able to supply an oil that meets or exceeds that specification. ACEA C2 denotes that the oil meets the requirements for a modern synthetic oil capable of use in high-performance petrol and diesel engines over extended drain intervals, compatible with emission control technology (catalysts and DPF systems), i.e. a low/mid SAPS oil that will not contaminate those systems beyond normal service expectations.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years

A software program for windows machine called " multiecuscan" with an obd adapter can do both resets. Software is free but the licence key is about £50. Does all manner of things as well as the service and oil reset.
I am intending to purchase as I am out of warranty and intend doing own servicing in future.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
A software program for windows machine called " multiecuscan" with an obd adapter can do both resets. Software is free but the licence key is about £50. Does all manner of things as well as the service and oil reset.
I am intending to purchase as I am out of warranty and intend doing own servicing in future.

Yes, that's what I use. I have the multiplexed version, which saves having to acquire and keep swapping several different connection leads. Worth far more than its cost if you are mechanically capable.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
You obviously have looked into this a bit further than me, I happen to know a warranty manager in a Ford dealership so in conversation I gleen little bits of information. He tells me in the event of a engine or component failure that might be covered by warranty, he would for example in the case of independent or diy servicing be required to seek written evidence that the correct specification oils had been used.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

I use Opie as well, always good service. So far not needed to top up on 2015 with 14500 miles, quite surprised by that. Also I do like Fuchs oil which I get from Opie via ebay or their web site.

Opie oils are great and sell lots of other things besides Oil, and the best bit is that there only five minutes from me..(y)

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I keep all my invoices and for example, a copy of the Shell technical documentation for Helix Ultra ECT in the case of the oil I use. I would not recommend "DIY" maintenance during the warranty period, as manufacturers normally require proof of maintenance by a VAT registered garage as a starting requirement. I have however been carrying out maintenance and majority of the repairs on my vehicles for over 40 years and my career involved forensic examination of vehicles. Some things I have had to rely on garages because I do not have the time or necessary equipment and it would not be cost effective to acquire it for a one-off job. I will say however that my own experience has been that more damage or unsuitable maintenance has been carried out when I have taken my cars to main network dealers than anywhere else, and some of the things I have seen when I had occasion to visit a few of their workshops horrified me.

Mind you, I've also been in a number of restaurant kitchens in an earlier life that left me with no desire to frequent the premises as a customer!

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
its even worse on a euro6 the spec is 0/30

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
its even worse on a euro6 the spec is 0/30

Not sure what you think is worse about that?

0W30 is also specified for Euro 5+ engines in the X290, according to the factory maintenance information, although I believe many of the handbooks supplied with the vehicles state that 5W30 is the required grade.

In practice,, it will make little if any difference which is used. The only reason for the change to 0W30 is the current chase by manufacturers to improve emissions and fuel consumption, which it no doubt achieves following a cold start by an almost immeasurable amount.

bob cottam

Free Member
Jun 28, 2018
Funster No
My 2017 Ducato (Euro 5) has now covered 2500 miles, and oil level is half way down dipstick. Its not due for 1st service until Nov. 2019, so may need a top up prior to then. My handbook only mentions 0w-30 acea2 oil, but a call to my local Fiat dealer, giving the service dept. my reg. no.- the guy said "yours needs 5w-30". I assume from this that the service man is quoting for a Euro 5 version, but Deneb`s post above states that Euro 5+ engines ARE on 0w-30.... As mine is a 2017 vehicle, I assume it must be a euro5+ as it is one of the last ones before they went to Euro 6. How do I tell if mine is a Euro5+ and not "just" a Euro5?

Last edited:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
My 2017 Ducato (Euro 5) has now covered 2500 miles, and oil level is half way down dipstick. Its not due for 1st service until Nov. 2019, so may need a top up prior to then. My handbook only mentions 0w-30 acea2 oil, but a call to my local Fiat dealer, giving the service dept. my reg. no.- the guy said "yours needs 5w-30". I assume from this that the service man is quoting for a Euro 5 version, but Deneb`s post above states that Euro 5+ engines ARE on 0w-30.... As mine is a 2017 vehicle, I assume it must be a euro5+ as it is one of the last ones before they went to Euro 6. How do I tell if mine is a Euro5+ and not "just" a Euro5?
Had the same issues, mines a X290 16 plate but euro 5+, contacted Fiat Camper and spoke to Italy who confirmed in an email it was 5/30

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back