Can anyone help with gas bottle conections (1 Viewer)

Kevfromwales

Free Member
May 13, 2009
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Got a new van with built in gas regulator and screw
Connection for propane bottle which I have, also I
Have a butane bottle dose any know if you can a
Connector to convert it to fit a screw on

Thanks
:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi kev,

yes you can but it means changing the pigtail hose as well

Link Removed

first reg adaptor in list and last hose in list.

not worth the hastle really.

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
gas

I would go to your gas supplier and change the butane bottle for a propane one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I would go to your gas supplier and change the butane bottle for a propane one.

I agree - I have just fitted 2 gaslow Propane pigtails & a manual changeover to my van and swapped the Butane cylinders for Propane. Having one type of bottle just simplifies things IMOH :Smile:

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Hi kev
propane is better tan butane generally as it doent freeze at )degc like butaneb does. It also burns a bit hotter so is better for cooking and heating - no it wont hurt your appliances as they have been desined around propane.

As others suggest consider fitting a refillable (gaslow) bottle which means you can refilll with gas from an lpg outlet at a garage which is a lot cheaper and you dont have to wait till its empty. you could keep the propane as a standby.

Phill

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Got a new van with built in gas regulator and screw
Connection for propane bottle which I have, also I
Have a butane bottle dose any know if you can a
Connector to convert it to fit a screw on

Why do you want to use butane any way ???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Which gas should I use, Propane or Butane?

The physical properties of the two gases are very similar, and when regulated to the correct pressure, they will perform almost identically. However there are some important differences.
Of the two gases, Butane has the most advantages.

• It is less toxic and so can legally be used and stored indoors. Litre for litre, it contains around 12% more energy than Propane and so you can squeeze more running time into the same sized bottle. (Butane is heavier than Propane though, so weight for weight it's a pretty close call.)
  • Butane also burns cleaner than Propane (although this isn't normally a serious issue in caravanning.)
  • Finally, while it's not strictly a property of the gas, Butane canisters generally use clip-on type connections. These are far more convenient than the Propane screw type connections, especially if you swap bottles around regularly (as you might if you also use your caravan bottle to run a barbecue.)
Conversely, Propane has only one advantage over Butane - but it's a big one!
  • In order to be usable, the liquid in the bottle must be able to boil into a gas. In the case of Butane, this will happen at any temperature above -2C, whereas with Propane, this figure is much lower, at -42C. In the real world, it's not so clear cut. Whenever some of the liquid boils into gas, the remaining liquid cools. It is therefore possible for the temperature of the liquid to drop to several degrees below ambient. This can easily prevent a Butane canister from producing a useful gas supply, even when the outside temperature is several degrees above 0C. A compromise can be reached by mixing Propane with Butane, but as far as I'm aware, none of the UK 'big bottle' suppliers actually do this. The small gas cartridges that are produced for camping stoves and gas lamps are often Propane/Butane mixes. So choosing the right gas pretty much boils down to whether you need to use it in freezing (or near freezing) conditions. If this is likely, then Propane is a must. If not, then Butane has the edge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back