weymard

Free Member
Jan 25, 2009
CHERBOURG NORMANDY
Funster No
MH
US TRUCK CAMPER
Exp
Can you say me what is necessary to make an approval in England for an US pickup diesel (ford F450 2008).
In France the turn lights rear must be in orange and we need a rear red fog light, is it same thing for you and have you other modifications to be made ? And do you need a complete technical description of the truck ?
Is it long to have this approval ?
Thanks for your informations. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we too must have orange indicators and a red fog light.

american vehicles have strange lights though....the tail/brake lights flash as indicators and in the uk they must be independant.

ie: orange indicators, red tail/brake lights and they must work independantly of each other.

OP
OP
weymard

weymard

Free Member
Jan 25, 2009
CHERBOURG NORMANDY
Funster No
MH
US TRUCK CAMPER
Exp
:Smile: same things in France for the lights, I think that is the "European style" ! ::bigsmile:
To be approval, the truck need to be tested in special national laboratory (UTAC) : tested breaks, parking break, gas pollution, radio-electric pollution (!) and noise at different speeds. Have you same thing ?
Do you need other modifications ?
and how long is the processes to be approval ?
and the cost ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Requires a slight rewire to separate the indicator (orange) lights from the rear tail (red) lights.

They must work independently from each other....

Red rear fogs too.:thumb:

Papa John's right ....the headlights are not dipped to the side....

I had to rewire rears to comply with our MOT requirements and replaced the headlamp units but I believe you can get "beam benders" that stick on the headlamps.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
actually fairly easy to obtain approval in uk , submit to the equivalent of DRIRE and , provided you meet the regulations , you will get your approval ; no french style bureaucracy , it's a quick process

I think it is still called single vehicle approval , long time since I did it !

you would do well to have it limited to 3500Kg for the same reasons as france

others will no doubt comment on the changes needed [ lights primarily ]

OP
OP
weymard

weymard

Free Member
Jan 25, 2009
CHERBOURG NORMANDY
Funster No
MH
US TRUCK CAMPER
Exp
:thumb: Thanks for yours answers.
But for a pickup up to 3500 kg (it his weight empty !!!) do you need a specific controls or/and modifications ?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think I know what your getting at Waymard...Yes it would be a much simpler job importing to the UK, then getting the type approval here...then a very simple job to import a European vehicle into France...which in effect the pickup would then be.
I have done this on several occasions with no problems.
Shipping to the UK is so much cheaper than trying to ship directley to France also.

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
The F450 is a bigger truck much heavier duty than the F350 i think you would have a problem getting down rated to 3500kg and getting it through the SVA test.

Better to keep it at its original weight and put it through the IVA test (probably the same as SVA) but for trucks over 3500kg gross.

The headlamps should be ok because they will have clear lenses and no left or right beam just straight ahead hot spots .

Give me a couple of months and i will give you all your answers when i get my Dodge 3500 dually over here and put it through the IVA test

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The F450 is a bigger truck much heavier duty than the F350 i think you would have a problem getting down rated to 3500kg and getting it through the SVA test.

Better to keep it at its original weight and put it through the IVA test (probably the same as SVA) but for trucks over 3500kg gross.

The headlamps should be ok because they will have clear lenses and no left or right beam just straight ahead hot spots .

Give me a couple of months and i will give you all your answers when i get my Dodge 3500 dually over here and put it through the IVA test

SVA for passenger cars has already been superseded by the IVA and for light commercials it happens on 29th October 2011.

the IVA is slightly stricter than the old SVA and one of two extra inspection points have been added.

Link Removed

OP
OP
weymard

weymard

Free Member
Jan 25, 2009
CHERBOURG NORMANDY
Funster No
MH
US TRUCK CAMPER
Exp
Thanks for your answers.
My f450 will arrive at the end of March in France (le Havre). And as say Sundower I thought to have an UK approval for a heavier truck 7000 kg (when loaded). The french procedure is so complex and expensive ....
Do you know some professional who can prepare and present the truck to IVA (or SVA) (My God your acronyms are Chinese for me :ROFLMAO:) ?

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Just googled a few

sigmaaoutomotive.co.uk or protech-uk.co.uk

there should be others out there