MOTs (1 Viewer)

Adventurer

Free Member
Jan 29, 2010
Funster No
Hi
Can anyone tell me what happens if you're on the Continent for up to a year and your MOT runs out while you're away? Is it essential to make a special trip to England to get your van MOT'd?

cheers
Adventurer:Cool:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
unfortunately yes.

road tax you can buy online and have posted to you

insurance you can buy online and have posted to you.

but unless you know a dodgy test station who post spurious mot certificates you MUST return to blighty.

without an MOT on foreign soil and you've van will be impounded....no mistake.

BTW...welcome to the fun.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi adventurer

As far as I know you have to have the MOT carried out in the country of registration.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
You can get your MOT in Spain they call it ITV but it wont be any good when you are in the UK it will cover if you here and have tax

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You can get your MOT in Spain they call it ITV but it wont be any good when you are in the UK it will cover if you here and have tax

how do they register the mot on their system ken?

or are they still on manual tickets.

im sure i read somewhere on fun if you are lacking in one of the three compulsory bits, tax, test, insurance, you wont get it back into the uk.

or did i dream that ?

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Legally you must have your vehicle M.O.T. in country of registration, BUT in Spain a lot of people have it done (I.T.V.) on their British registered vehicles and the police seem to accept this as it shows your vehicle is deemed roadworthy in that country.
As the saying goes " You pay your money and take a chance" :Doh:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Spanish police may be happy,but I doubt your UK insurance will be, and remember when a claim is made in particular a write off, they will ask for a copy of your Mot:Doh:
Geo

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
how do they register the mot on their system ken?

or are they still on manual tickets.

im sure i read somewhere on fun if you are lacking in one of the three compulsory bits, tax, test, insurance, you wont get it back into the uk.

or did i dream that ?

No its all computer now one of the things that gets the biggest fine is no insurance no itv or mot a lot of brits with uk reg have uk insurance and Spanish mot but its only the tax you cant pay here with a uk reg motor

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No its all computer now one of the things that gets the biggest fine is no insurance no itv or mot a lot of brits with uk reg have uk insurance and Spanish mot but its only the tax you cant pay here with a uk reg motor

thats my point ken, a uk reg vehicle wont be on the spanish data-base.

and as Geo pointed out.....no uk mot, therefore no insurance (void)

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
Spanish police may be happy,but I doubt your UK insurance will be, and remember when a claim is made in particular a write off, they will ask for a copy of your Mot:Doh:
Geo

My uk insurance were ok with it when i moved over here but that was a few years ago now.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Think you will find that the vehicle needs to be registered in Spain for an ITV. They have really clamped down on English using their UK registered cars over the 6months allowed. You would have to have the headlamps changed to shine the other way as they don't allow beambenders!!
Why don't you just MOT the vehicle before you go, will then last 12 months.
No MOT is a £60 fine + 3 points but it will Invalidate your insurance if you do not have one.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
If your vehicle is not legal in it's country of registration then it's not legal anywhere else either.
You may get away with producing an ITV in Spain, if stopped, but you are still not legal.
Many Brits and other nationalities, drive their vehicles here illegally and seem to get away with it, so you might.

I prefer not to take the risk and visit the motherland once a year for the MOT.

Pete:Cool:

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
All you need here to get a uk car mot is the lights done and a padrom this is to show you live here and a nif number to change to Spanish reg you need a tech report before a ITV this can be a lot of money and i can never see why they bring there cars here when they move over it can cause so many problems

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
All you need here to get a uk car mot is the lights done and a padrom this is to show you live here and a nif number to change to Spanish reg you need a tech report before a ITV this can be a lot of money and i can never see why they bring there cars here when they move over it can cause so many problems

maybe think they dont sell cars in spain ken. :ROFLMAO:

ex G/F's mother imported her VW golf into the uk when she returned after 30 odd years in SOUTH AFRICA !!!!

cost a hell of a lot more in shipping and import fees than it would ever be worth in the uk but it takes all sorts :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back