Free Member
Mar 2, 2010
milton keynes, bucks.
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
tent's, caravaning ,then 11 years motorhoming
hi first time on hear,i'm looking to purchase a thermal blind for my kontiki m\home what would you recommend internal or external type and where is a good supplier cost wise, thank's

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
"Silver screens" seem to be regarded as one of the best, my one is certainly of good quality. I reccomend external as internal can leave marks on your screen from the suckers (so I beleive) ::bigsmile:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi kontiki48 and :welcome:to MotorHomeFun.:thumb:

Our preference is for an external screen. Suppliers are Silver Screens, Taylormade and Van Comfort.

flyingwelcome

Brisey

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Hi There are a few considerations first

Internal are good if you wild park and may need to get away quick without opeining the doors..and they will stay dry

external are better in stopping condensation and will atually stop it completely. They get wet though which can be a pain if theres not much room to store wet soggy screens.
External are not so good if you need to get away quickly.

Those are the considerations matey

Phill

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I have both and recommend exterior as I was recommended on fun about 18 months ago the interior I only use when leaving the van during the winter when there is nobody inside using the motorhome..........the only problem is you have to go outside to put the screen on and remove.........mine is silver screen and well pleased although there is anther brand just as good it is up to you I think it is called Taylors but not quite sure....if you use the interior type you still gets lots of condensation.....................I only use mine winter, spring and autumn and, and if it is very sunny and the front of the van is in full sun

Mel

OP
OP
kontiki48

kontiki48

Free Member
Mar 2, 2010
milton keynes, bucks.
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
"Silver screens" seem to be regarded as one of the best, my one is certainly of good quality. I reccomend external as internal can leave marks on your screen from the suckers (so I beleive) ::bigsmile:

thank's for that i have seen the silver screen's advert, i see milenco are doing a deal must check out what the make is,

mymotorhome

Free Member
Apr 8, 2009
Uplawmoor Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
12 Months
screens

i recently bought milenco external screens for my auo-trail atthe secc glasgow exibition. They fit all vans so are not an exact fit for my van, but will then fit any other van i buy. They work great (i opened the zip part to let some light in during the day, and condensation appears on the inside opposite the opening). had them on for 2 days, absolutley no condensation. cost me ÂŁ72 at the exhibition.
peter
:thumb:

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
I bought all the materials and made internal ones myself. Only problem is the sucker marks.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Internal are good if you wild park and may need to get away quick without opeining the doors..and they will stay dry

external are better in stopping condensation and will atually stop it completely. They get wet though which can be a pain if theres not much room to store wet soggy screens.

Those are the considerations matey

Phill

I totally agree with Phill if you need to get away quickly..use interior "BUT" not good for condensation...and to answer his other comment, yes they get wet and damp, BUT do like I do, what another motorhomer suggested to me, when you take them down in the morning put them in the shower cubicle folded or rolled and stood up and leave all day to drip dry but not in the kit bag, even when you are travelling, as you will not be using the shower till that evening or the following morning......and that is when you have put them back on window for the night...then when you have finished you holidays/trip dry and put away in the kit bag till next time :thumb::thumb:

Mel

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

Phill

Also I would add for a quick exit that internals are good if the van next door has a fire.

Doug...

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
hi first time on hear,i'm looking to purchase a thermal blind for my kontiki m\home what would you recommend internal or external type and where is a good supplier cost wise, thank's

Hi,

Theres a selection of External and Internal screens here, but you can also make your own usinng foil backed insulation and a set of rubber suckers!

Peter

http://www.johnscrossshop.co.uk/categories.php?category=Motorhome-External-Silverscreen-Covers

http://www.johnscrossshop.co.uk/cat...creen-Covers/Motorhome-Internal-Silverscreens

OP
OP
kontiki48

kontiki48

Free Member
Mar 2, 2010
milton keynes, bucks.
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i recently bought milenco external screens for my auo-trail atthe secc glasgow exibition. They fit all vans so are not an exact fit for my van, but will then fit any other van i buy. They work great (i opened the zip part to let some light in during the day, and condensation appears on the inside opposite the opening). had them on for 2 days, absolutley no condensation. cost me ÂŁ72 at the exhibition.
peter
:thumb:

hi pete,thank's for info, yes i see they do a universal set to fit most van's by the look's of thing's also had tailored set's, to fit your van etc,i was wondering what make they are,heard there are some cheap rubbish one's ,

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
Looking around myself for same thing have you tried Steve at Silver Products he quoted me ÂŁ88 for 08 Fiat Ducato and they roll down or up...Dave

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since October 07 but Caravanning since 1972
Yes Silver Screens every time. We have had them on two of our m/homes. As Hayupluv said when went put them in shower compartment. No problem

OP
OP
kontiki48

kontiki48

Free Member
Mar 2, 2010
milton keynes, bucks.
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Looking around myself for same thing have you tried Steve at Silver Products he quoted me ÂŁ88 for 08 Fiat Ducato and they roll down or up...Dave

thank's dave, just seen milenco are doing tailored set's for the ducato 94...2006 at ÂŁ50 will have to see what make they are .:thumb:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If circumstances dictate that you would be better off using internal screens then it is quite possible to use the external screens internally.

Just hook the side pockets onto the top door corners, shove the front part up against the front screen and drop the sun visors to keep it in place. Push the bottom forward over the dash.
Not pretty and a bit of a 'faff' but it works.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Kontiki48, glad you found us, welcome to fun, Carol.:Smile:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
For what its worth, I use the internal silver screen because I do wild camp and feel that if needed, i could remove and drive away without leaving the confines of my van.
Bought on Ebay.

Don

plasma

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years

Plus one .

Plasma.

OP
OP
kontiki48

kontiki48

Free Member
Mar 2, 2010
milton keynes, bucks.
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp

thank's for your input, have purchased a set of fiamma thermoglas from peak-outdoor's for ÂŁ39.99 on internet, :thumb:

tucker_j

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
I picked up my Sliver Screens external covers today as I was nearby. Very nice people and a very nice product.

Schnauzer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Anyone had any experience of the Fiamma external one ?

Link Removed

Seems like quite a good price or are they rubbish?

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
Diy?

Does anyone have any suggestions for DIY internal screens?

We have external silver screens but after a wrestling match to try to fit them on the inside we feel the need for an alternative!! We don't have any sort of blinds or curtains at the front and have relied on the externals so far, however we want to do more wild camping and would like the option of a quick 'getaway' if needed. We would also use them to keep the van cool and avoid prying eyes when parked up and unattended.:Smile:

I'm pretty nifty with a sewing machine and have visions of velcro instead of suckers...:Eeek:

Where can I get the quilted silver stuff??
Janine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back