Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Following on from a previous thread. We have found the RV we want and what I feel I can drive (being only a minibod) but it does not have LPG. So we have decided to get it done. I know! I know! we needed to get it with, but this is the one I want and all the other ones with are too big or wrong layout etc.
My questions are...What is the difference in the systems? I.E Prins and ACStag?
There is a place in Wales which offer to do it in one day or 10 hours. Anyone had experience?
Have been told that AC is 1800 inclusive and the Prins is 3500 Ill be honest! I should be asking lots of questions but I havent a clue what to ask.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Cant comment on the manufacturer of the kits but you really need to ask the following questions

How big are the PLG tank(s) (dont accept anything less than 200ltrs as a minimum)
How and where are the LPG tanks secured to the vehicle.
How much ground clearance under the vehicle when installed (especially important if fitted at the rear of the vehicle when going onto ferries etc)
Where is the filler located (Ideally one per side or if not at the rear of the vehicle near the numberplate)
Where will the spare wheel fit if the tanks take up the space under the chassis
Does the engine need to be retuned to run on LPG and what effect does this have on running on petrol
Does it require special spark plugs for servicing after the conversion is done?
What kind of warranty is offered and what happens if it breaks down?

And finally how many miles are you planning on doing per year??

Have you done the sums to see if its actually worth having it fitted, £1800.00 buys an awful lot of petrol and there is no guarantee that the next government isnt going to slap a load of duty onto LPG at the next budget :Eeek:

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
:thumb:Thanks Dazzer. Lot of things for thinking about and the kind of answer I was hoping for as I am clueless. Would never have thought about the sparkplugs.:whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
NO problems!!

We have an Isuzu Trooper converted to LPG and it never ran properly after we had it serviced, turns out it needed special spark plugs which when fitted solved the misfiring problems.

Also dont forget about the weight of the tanks and the fuel which will need to be deducted from the gross weight of the RV payload. Shouldnt be a problem as most RVs have a huge capacity anyway but keep it in mind when your loading up the 65" plasma TV and 200 crates of beer/wine!!! :ROFLMAO:

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
lpg

Following on from a previous thread. We have found the RV we want and what I feel I can drive (being only a minibod) but it does not have LPG. So we have decided to get it done. I know! I know! we needed to get it with, but this is the one I want and all the other ones with are too big or wrong layout etc.
My questions are...What is the difference in the systems? I.E Prins and ACStag?
There is a place in Wales which offer to do it in one day or 10 hours. Anyone had experience?
Have been told that AC is 1800 inclusive and the Prins is 3500 Ill be honest! I should be asking lots of questions but I havent a clue what to ask.

Hi there is a place in Wales it is in Newport' in fact my wife and I have just returned from there and have booked our rv to be converted in early May .
The owner is Steve Griffiths of Anglo American tel no is 01633 250050 but it does take more than a day to do.

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Thanks again Dazzer. Oh yes the weight! Duh! why didnt I think of that glaringly obvious thing? Wont be carrying a huge amount but it does all add up. :thumb:
Yes Griffs, found it on a website. Dont really mind if it takes a day or so as we can stop over at one of our daughters, and be spoiled rotten for a bit. Did something right there :Smile:

Just want to get in it and go now. Thanks again.:thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi all modern fuel injected vehicles will have an LPG sequential multipoint system fitted, the two names I.E Prins and ACStag are just different makes, but both along with other makes will be the same basic system.

As for which make is the best? Dutch systems are usually the dearest, whether that makes them better I don't know. AC Stag are Polish and I think I E Prins are Dutch.

Olley

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The large price difference makes me think the cheaper system is the basic ' single point inject into inlet manifold ' which if this is the case will cause problems and should be avoided. The system fitted to my Triton cost around £3500 and on a round trip to the Algarve (3,600 miles ) would save me about £700 .
As far as weight is concerned , if you fill an RV petrol tank 60 galls = 600lbs. Carry 1/4 tank full, and there should be stacks of spare payload for the lpg installation and gas .
Its worth it if you do the miles :thumb:

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
:thumb:Thanks Dazzer. Lot of things for thinking about and the kind of answer I was hoping for as I am clueless. Would never have thought about the sparkplugs.:whatthe:

You say your based in the Sothwest, I've just found a very good chap called Dave Spooner at CORNWALL AUTOGAS & MOT CENTRE been up and running for about 6 years. He is currently servicing mine after a hiccup created by a less than favourable installation by a well known company based in Plymouth. There number is 01209 216196 and web site www.cornwallautogas.co.uk.

By the way most conversions have there lpg tanks in the Belly Lockers

Brian

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Thanks everone for taking the time to reply with all your useful info. Much appreciated.
Were going for a long trip out this weekend and will see how we get on with the petrol costs. I hope they don putt the LPG up in the next budget else well be doing Fred Flinstone with hubby running as he has longer legs lol.

Will let you know how we get on. :winky:

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jomel,

It really is about mileage as to if it is worth converting to LPG. Check out this download on the forum of an excel spreadsheet I created:

Link Removed

I recently put this statement up on our sister site RVOC:

For example if you drove 500 miles per month (which is probably a bit more than most do!), with a conversion cost £3,500 then the payback time is approximately 3 years. It is easy to see that if you only do a couple of hundred miles then payback is likely to be beyond your ownership of the RV. Re-sell value is not increased that much either. Take a look at the vehicles that have been converted and you will see they don't often end up selling for much if anything more than an unconverted vehicle.

However, that all said there are other benefits. If you plan to do lots of European travel then you will find an lpg conversion allows for greater distances without having to worry about re fuelling. A bonus if you end up on one of the many long roads without petrol stations!

There is of course the feel good factor and the cost of installation does not matter if you have lots of cash.

For what it is worth a large RV supplier in the UK told me that they think conversion is a total waste of money. But if their customers ask they will of course have it done.

My suggestion would be to use the RV for a period of time to see how you get on with it and then make a decision. A few owners on this forum will probably be able to tell you of the deal they got because a new owner put an lpg conversion on an RV, used it for a few miles, then decided they could not get on with owning and driving an RV and sold up!

If you want to check out your fuel consumption get yourself one of these assuming your RV has a diagnostic port:

http://www.scangauge2.co.uk/

Easy to install and once you have filled up a couple of times it will give you accurate fuel consumption. Remember that lpg runs at approximately - 20% fuel consumption of petrol. So for example if you are lucky enought to get 10mpg with petrol then you would get 8mpg with lpg. These are not my figures but industry issued ones. Please don't ask where they came from because I cannot remember, but when I researched this, it was the figure that kept coming up from various lpg groups and installers.

Best regards

Chris

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Thanks Chris, Great advice:thumb:
We do intend to travel a lot around Europe and back and forth around UK, but I think you are right to advise waiting to see how we get on with it all. Thank you so much for those links and the download. Invaluable.

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
As reported before,Steve Griffiths at Anglo American in Newport,He converted both of our rv s and not an ounce of trouble.We are based in Somerset so up the M5 and across the severn crossing and you re there,not sure about the time span though.

Regards.
John P.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back