Vets visit on return from france? (1 Viewer)

rav4girly

Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Moncayo
Exp
July 09
I understand that I must have our dogs jabbed for ticks and tapeworm between 24 and 48 hours before they board the ferry to come home. We are boarding at Le Havre on Easter Sunday so will need to see vet on the Saturday (Am I right about this)? Can anyone recommend a vet and will it be a problem on Easter Saturday?

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Do not forget you can have the appointment on the Friday as long as it is within the 24/48 hour envelope of time. Depending on where you are in France, this means that you do not have to sit around at the port for a day. We have plenty of visitors to Parc Verger who visit our local vet (she speaks English) at say 5.30 or 6.00 pm, stay the night and travel to the port the next day. Equally a morning appointment can achieve the same result, with an overnight break on the way to the Channel port.

Cheers

Bob and Di

vwroamer

Free Member
Mar 1, 2009
Spain
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Yes you must visit a vet between 24/48 hours before crossing, they will check the microchip and pet passport before you are allowed to board. The vet does not give a jab but only examines the animal, gives it a worm tablet and applies a dose of frontline or similar. You often need to have an appointment with the vet, do not know how much of a problem that will present on Easter Saturday. It does require a small amount of forward planning when travelling with a pet, but it is easily accomplished.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Somebody told me the vet's charge can very enormously. Is it best just to go by word of mouth?

Ivy

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Somebody told me the vet's charge can very enormously. Is it best just to go by word of mouth?

Ivy

The further away you are from the port, the better the price. We have found that the vets in Uzerche are less than a third of the price of La Rochelle, or Chateudun.

I would suggest you look at where you are going to overnight and ring in advance, there are lots of vets on the equivalent of Yellow Pages, I cant remember the link, but a very helpful funster pointed us in the right direction and it saved us over £60 on our two dogs. The vet even spotted a life threatening heart condition which our local vet missed completely.

Ginny

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
Does this operation have to be carried out in France or can any vet in Europe do the job?

I am thinking of the trip back from Holland being only a few hours drive, then having to wait a day in France before coming home.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
from the DEFRA website

Before your pet can enter the UK, it must be treated against ticks and tapeworms. Any vet in the EU can give the treatment. You must not do it yourself. Make sure the vet reads your pet’s microchip before treatment.
Your pet must be treated not less than 24 hours and not more than 48 hours before being checked in with an approved transport company to travel into the UK. The treatment must be given every time your pet travels to the UK.

the above was taken from the fact sheet provided be defra link to site is
Link Removed

Remember to ensure the vet stamps and includes the time of the treatment as well as the date on the passport.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
The further away you are from the port, the better the price. We have found that the vets in Uzerche are less than a third of the price of La Rochelle, or Chateudun.

I would suggest you look at where you are going to overnight and ring in advance, there are lots of vets on the equivalent of Yellow Pages, I cant remember the link, but a very helpful funster pointed us in the right direction and it saved us over £60 on our two dogs. The vet even spotted a life threatening heart condition which our local vet missed completely.

Ginny

TRY THIS ...it is the internet yellow pages...(or Pages Jaunes)....Add the details at the top for the town or village you want to check and Veterinaires.....
Hope this helps you

Link Removed

Mel :thumb:

My vet is at St pol sur Ternoise...we have used for 6 years for all our dogs.....very close to the dual carriageway on the St Pol sur Ternoise by pass N39 (939) on the road from Arras to Montreul su mer....very good and the female vet will speak a little english

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,
Yet another vet to recommend, In the small town of Ardres near Calais is the English speaking vet CLINIQUE VETERINAIRE DU CAMP DU DRAP D OR <veto.ardres@wanadoo.fr>
Can highly recommend, also just outside the town is the pleasant site Camping Saint Louis Link Removed
Spotless facilities with on site restaurant and very pleasant owners, walkable in to town.
Enjoy your travels and I can assure you once you have been through the vet/return procedure for the first time you will realise it really is no problem.
:thumb:

carl65

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
very good advice as am going to france in may and taking the dog so thanks for that we are travilling back via dunkirk norfolk seaways so will be needing a vet around this area ? what sort of costs should i expect to pay ?

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,
Should have mentioned cost, in September last year total cost for one dog 66 euros.
Also mentioned in another post re. wine, in Ardres there is a great wine shop, well worth a visit as it has a broad range of wine and a broad range of prices.
Boursot's Wine Collection <ardres@boursot.co.uk>
::bigsmile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Our friend that visited us used our vets to return home at St Pol sur Tenoise southern part of the Pas de Calaise region and this what he paid .....
for his return journey ....... it was in April/May 2009. this is for 1 dog

30 euros for flea and Tick treatment (packet of three) Vet uses one
so you have two more to use for other journeys.

5 euros for worm tablets

12 euros for Vet consultation and filling in and stamping the
passport

TOTAL VET BILL..........was 47 Euros

I have heard a lot of vets if you have the right make of flea and tick treatment sachets (that they use) of your own and they are in date as they only have a date life of around 1 year, will use the ones you have....so if you have any left over from your own vets you could always try and see if they will use them.

Mel :thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
We always take our own wormers/flea/tick treatment with us and the vets we have used in france have never refused to use our stuff. Prices charged do vary though even with your own stuff, we have been charged as little as €20 and as much as €45 at different vets.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,
Should have mentioned cost, in September last year total cost for one dog 66 euros.
Also mentioned in another post re. wine, in Ardres there is a great wine shop, well worth a visit as it has a broad range of wine and a broad range of prices.
Boursot's Wine Collection <ardres@boursot.co.uk>
::bigsmile:
Definitely losing the plot, gave out wine dealers e-mail instead of web address - http://www.boursot.co.uk/ :Doh::Doh::Doh:

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
Beware

Hi,
I know that this post is a couple of weeks old now but; --
Two years ago we were returning via Zeebrugge from a continental tour and the couple after us at the check in had had their dog treated in Austria before driving overnight to the port. Everything was in order except that the vet had not noted the actual treatment which had been used on the dog's passport.
They had to go to a local vet (suggested by the port people) and pay a rather heafty charge to have the treatment re-done and properly documented. This course of action was apparently only acceptable because the ferry took 16 hours to get to the UK and, by then the second treatment was within the timescale. Don't know if they had any problems on arrival in Scotland.
So make sure the vet fills in all the appropriate data. I'd have thought that the vet should have known better!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've been using the vet at Ardres for many years (when we come back that way) and they are very good and although the receptionist's English is minute, you can get buy even with a phone call. The cost of the treatment depends on the size of the dog, you can take your own worm and tick/flea treatment with you if you wish.

The closer you get to the ports/chunnel, the more you will pay - the cheapest way is to use a vet who's about half a day's drive away as that way you get the cheaper price and also don't have to hang around in Calais etc kicking your heals waiting for the '24 hours after treatment' time to go.

Some people seem to think it's difficult sometimes getting a pet check etc before returning the UK due to the language barrier - it isn't as most vets are well versed with the requirements (but do CHECK the passport yourself to ensure it has been completed correctly including the time of the treatment). If you really want a challenge try explaining to them that you want to put down your pet rat because of the tumour which has grown whilst you've been on holiday ... being asked the question by the confused vet in his pigeon English "You want me to kill it?" isn't the best thing in the world!!!:Eeek:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forgot to say ... when we used a Belgian vet a few years ago, I think we were the first pet passport check he'd done and didn't have a clue so we had to tell HIM what do to! I cannot emphasise enough the importance of YOU checking the paperwork yourself.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back