Suggestions required for South Wales please (1 Viewer)

Hopesy

Free Member
Nov 5, 2008
South Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Hi All, we'll be travelling form Bristol along the M4 heading for St Davids. Has anyone any suggestions on overnight stops such as pub car parks (after refreshment of course :Smile:) or quiet spots around Gower perhaps? Thanks

meggie

Free Member
Jan 12, 2009
milford haven
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8y
hi,there is a nice pub down new gale and it on the road to st davids
hope this help:thumb:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Beat me to it, JJ.

I was going to suggest a large canal between the Bristol Channel and Cardigan Bay, then tow it south and offer it to Argentina instead of the Falklands.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
There's a great seafront carpark at Abereiddy. We had an excellent, quiet weekend there last year. Link to map here, and there are a couple of piccies in our blog.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
dont know whether its south wales but what about Dylans site at CwmCuttan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

clayx

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
south wales
Funster No
Exp
Beat me to it, JJ.

I was going to suggest a large canal between the Bristol Channel and Cardigan Bay, then tow it south and offer it to Argentina instead of the Falklands.

after all those welsh troops that died on sir galahad trying to save that petty bit of rock for your government i suggest your remark contemptable

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
after all those welsh troops that died on sir galahad trying to save that petty bit of rock for your government i suggest your remark contemptable

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

I made a feeble attempt at humour relating to the rain fall in South Wales.

Had the thread been titled "Suggestions required for Somerset?" I would have made the same suggestion for that location in the hope that it might bring a teeny weeny smile to some people's faces.

Didn't mean to raise any hackles... I didn't realise making a jokey remark about weather would cause upset!

Sorry...

JJ

PS.For the record, I do not share Imprint's views as posted by him/her after mine...

Last edited:

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Cwmcuttan

Hi All, we'll be travelling form Bristol along the M4 heading for St Davids. Has anyone any suggestions on overnight stops such as pub car parks (after refreshment of course :Smile:) or quiet spots around Gower perhaps? Thanks

Certainly a lovely place to stay en route would be Cwmcuttan. We've stayed there many times. It is about 20 - 30 mins off the M4 near Llandovery. If you do decide to go there, don't take the turning at the end of the M4, but go onto Crosshands & turn right at the roundabout.

When you get to St Davids if you want a site which has probably the best Sea views in Wales, go straight through St Davids heading for St Justinian's Lifeboat station. The campsite is located 100 yds from the end of the road(a dead end). Go into the farmhouse on the right & see the Farmer H Griffiths. :Smile:

And we do get some nice weather, enjoy yourselves.:Smile:

OP
OP
Hopesy

Hopesy

Free Member
Nov 5, 2008
South Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Thanks for the ideas so far but i was thinking more of an overnight wildcamp as we have a site booked afterwards. Ta

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Just pull off the main road, plenty of off road laybys all over the place.

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
It would be easier to answer if you had given a general route you were taking,as there are many 'ways' of heading that way .
If your travelling along the M4 corridor,then mentioned elswhere on here,there's Porthcawl,along the towns coastal road,free parking twards Nottage..if thats too close from your departure,then if you have plenty of time,theres the smaller coastal roads in the 'Gower area'.
Another route to take as a consideration would be to travel 'up the A470' from M4,passing by the fairy tale castle of castle COCH (RED) at Tongwynlais,worth a quick look actually,and a lovely car park (loads of films have been made there)on past Tom Jones's Town of Pontypridd and then Merthyr Tydfil (old steel/coal town)Cyfartha park and small museum ?Carry on straight ahead (this is all dual carraigeway fast road from M4)and your travelling on the Brecon road and the 'beacons' ahead,theres many a stop along the way,in the forestry stops or along the resevoires,then there's Brecon town itself,'quaint' and some lovely beers...just as you enter Brecon town over the small bridge,theres a turning left that follows the river(well keep going through the houses)and you come to a park etc,nice there !
From Brecon,which has some good canal stops too ! you can head for Llandovery,then Carmarthen,St Clears,Tenby (all along coastal roads there)Milford haven and St Davids,also head on coastal roads towards Aberystwyth.
Head back via ,Llandovery or Builth Wells,then Hereford,Ross on wye,back onto the M5 j11.A really good motorhome holiday that can be done in a long weekend or take
up to a Month !!!
I would personally suggest the A470 route,as there are more stops and scenery,but if not the time and the 'main' destination is St DAVIDS ,then M4 the quick way. :thumb:

Kevfromwales

Free Member
May 13, 2009
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Beat me to it, JJ.

Your remarks are Derogatory and intentionally offensive as I served in the Falklands and had may mates die on the Sir Galahad we can do without quotes from poeple like you.

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi, I wouldn't stop at Newgale for anything-having lived just up the road and my mum lives in St Davids, I know Newgale floods very regularily and deeply!!!!!!
Tenby might be worth looking at, we have been to a small site a couple of times at top of hill, nice walk down not so good walking back.
Aberiedy is a picture but didn't know you could wild camp there-bit of a sensitive area!
Hope it stay dry for you.

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Really sorry to see so many posts criticising a joke about cutting Wales off from UK and towing to South Atlantic. We are happy to make jokes about WWII (allo, allo) so why do Falkland vets think they are so 'special'.
Get real guys - Maggie engineered a war to make sure she got re-elected so don't make saints out of economic conscripts who found themselves there.

My next door neighbour at the time was a 3rd generation navy man who was quite scathing about the whingers who were heard on TV to say 'we didn't join up to fight anyone'???

I love visiting Wales but like Scotland it has its drawbacks - not as many as England, granted, but it still has some.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Don't know if any help to you, but there is a lovely site worth staying at whilst you are down there, at Slimbridge (Shepherd's Patch) which is close to the Severn Bridge. There is a local pub/restaurant and lovely walks along the canal.

caspar

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Funster No
Not sure whether this is way out of date now, and not sure where you're setting off from. Porthcawl (Junction 37 M4) no longer allows motorhomes, but Newton Beach (effectively the lesser known end of Porthcawl) still allows them in the beach car park. Nice views too. Just look it up on a map - easy to find!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back