Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
I am thinking of removing almost all the 110v units from the RV apart from the fridge
With the addition of decent solar panels we do not need that big'ol generator. The A/C will be replaced for a 240v unit and the transformer can then go.
The fridge can run off gas or a smaller 300w transformer.

Is there a market here or on ebay for these type of units.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
There's a lot of RV's about now, so I would have thought you could sell them easy at the right price.

Olley

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Always a market for these things, but out of interest why are you removing/changing them?

Regards

Chris

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There is always a market for used RV parts,mainly becouse they are sooo expensive new in the UK,
As a point of interest,my Tiffin has no 110 volt,its all 240, even the Onan genny. If you are on site hookup and limited to how much electric you use that converter eats electric even if nothing else is switched on.

OP
OP
bashers

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Why am i removing the 110v units.

The transformer, professional though it is, requires a massive surge on start up

On every campsite for the past nine months it has been a lottery whether just plugging in the transformer would blow the electric hook up
most campsites were 6amp, some less, and depending on the age/type of fuse i had to ask the campsite manager to upgrade/change fuses or even move pitches.

This is before even plugging in any appliance or the charger
meanwhile, all "normal" vans looked on in amusement

Secondly, the last campsite in sicily charged 35 cents per kilowatt and the transformer alone eats 150 - 200 watts at rest. thats 7cents per hour or 50 euros per month to heat a locker!

As the fridge only has a 300w heater a 300 or thereabouts transformer would suffice if i chose to use mains for the fridge

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Why am i removing the 110v units.

The transofrmer, professional though it is, requires a massive surge on start up

on every campsite for the past nine months it has been a lottery whether just plugging in the transformer would blow the electric hook up
most campsites were 6amp, some less, and depending on the age/type of fuse i had to ask the campsite manager to upgrade/change fuses or even move pitches.

This is before even plugging in any appliance or the charger
meanwhile, all "normal" vans looked on in amusement

The last campsite in sicily charged 35 cents per kilowatt and the transformer alone eats 150 - 200 watts at rest. thats 7cents per hour or 50 euros per month to heat a locker!

As the fridge only has a 300w heater a 300 or thereabouts transformer would suffice if i chose to use mains for the fridge

I totally agree, get rid of as many 110v as possible... :thumb:

On the last CL we were on metered leccy, I turned off the tranny and used the fridge on gas.. my plan was to do as you are with a small tranny just for the fridge , but even with that I reckon it may still be cheaper to run it on gas ..

For those wanting to keep the big tranny and not trip the EHU , fit a inrush surge limiter

OP
OP
bashers

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I found an article recently in the states that compared prices of propane for heating and running fridge as opposed electricity.

Basicaly, itis MUCH cheaper to run the fridge/heating on gas any time you're electricity is metered as gas is so much cheaper.
That was not even taking into account the price of running the transformer for us european types.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back