Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
Hi, just picked up my van from storage and noticed a small amount of water on one of the window sills, is this usual? could it be condensation? but i would have thought it would be on all windows

it was not a lot of water but just bugging me, i can not see any signs of water leaking in

any advice or opinions would be appreciated:Confused:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi, just picked up my van from storage and noticed a small amount of water on one of the window sills, is this usual? could it be condensation? but i would have thought it would be on all windows

it was not a lot of water but just bugging me, i can not see any signs of water leaking in

any advice or opinions would be appreciated:Confused:

Sounds like condensation to me.

You didn't say whether it was in covered storage, semi sheltered etc?

and there are no signs of water source (watermark)?

If you suspect a leak, how about getting someone to run a watering can over the window area gently while a you look for any water ingress?

Cheers Steve.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nicklb

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
Sorry good point it is not covered, and no i can not see any watermarks, was wondering if perhaps a rubber was failing?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Sorry good point it is not covered, and no i can not see any watermarks, was wondering if perhaps a rubber was failing?

Try the test below....(Watering Can) not pressure washer....

Hope all is OK. Does the rubber look perished?

Normally you would get a discoloration around the leaking seal.

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
If it's a caravan type window with a rubber seal all the way round they can let in small amounts of water if the rubber is wearing. Try cleaning the seal all round then see if it re-appears.

Don't know if it's a big job to replace. I had one let in water but cleaned the rubber and sold it before it became a big problem. :winky:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nicklb

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
Hi, thanks I will try that in the morning, the seal looks ok, it is 5 years old so i would have thought they are meant to last longer

thanks for your help

Nick

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
If it's a caravan type window with a rubber seal all the way round they can let in small amounts of water if the rubber is wearing. Try cleaning the seal all round then see if it re-appears.

Don't know if it's a big job to replace. I had one let in water but cleaned the rubber and sold it before it became a big problem. :winky:

Good point Keith...:thumb:

I guess any dirt can work it's way under there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nicklb

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months

Thanks I will give it a good clean round before I pour the water over it in the morning.

Thanks again

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Thanks I will give it a good clean round before I pour the water over it in the morning.

Thanks again

You may not have to do any pouring if the weather forecast is correct.....:rain:

We have had some pretty atrocious weather recently....Ice under a seal can cause it to open slightly if there were traces of water there already.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
had the same problem on my kontiki.

small pool of water on the kitchen window 'sill'.

wiped it up and next time it rained it reappeared.

had to remove the whole window and reseal it.
not a difficult job but needs two people to keep it central while tightening the fixings. :thumb:

Upvote 0

PamandKeith

Free Member
Oct 11, 2008
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
12 years
It may be that your cassette blinds are not tight enough. We had the same problem a couple of years ago. Hubby took off the caps to the screws and found about 5 missing and the others were loose! After adding the extra screws and tightening up we had no further problems. Sometimes the screws do come loose but were not happy that they were missing in the first place.

May be worth checking.

Pam

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nicklb

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
Thanks for the tips, I did clean round the edges and it would be fair to say there was a lot of muck around, then i did the watercan test and nothing, I will have to keep an eye on it

thanks again:Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back