Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Please forgive my ignorance but I see that some people have those big satellite dishes on their MH roofs and some have those on a stand beside the MH. We don't have either of those but one of those small things that looks like a flying saucer attached to the roof. In the UK, we sometimes get a picture but sometimes we don't.:cry: Should we get one of those other types, how much would it be and do you then get super reception every time? What about when we go to Europe? Do we say goodbye to UK telly until we get home again?

We've just had our first night away in this MH at the NEC and everything went well but I realised that I didn't get the hang of the truma heater and boiler. However, after a short call to Truma customer services, everything was explained in 5 minutes. They couldn't have been more helpful. This Buccaneer is a lot different to our old Hymer which was very functional but simple to operate.:Smile:

Ivy

Ivy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a sat dish is so much easier than a conventional aerial.

far easier to 'tune' into a satellite than a terestrial signal and not usuaklly affected by the weather.

the 'thing' you have is as much use as a bicycle is to a fish....:RollEyes:

with an ordinary aerial you HAVE to retune every time you change location but with a dish the programs are set and remain the same...no extra tuning needed no matter where you are in the uk.

prices vary from around £60 for a suitcase jobby to well over £1500 for a roof mounted fully automatic job.
depends on your budget and space/storage room.

'through the roof' terrestrial aerials can be bought for around £50 and will be far, far superior than the 'flying saucer' you have now

have a look Link Removed

with a 50 to 60cm dish you should get all the uk channels as far south as northern spain and all of france plus a bit of southern germany.

obviously a normal aerial wont get you any uk channels once you cross the water to france etc.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just adding to Johns reply realy

systems that work well

1. Status 530 Egg shaped roof arial aprox£70-£90:thumb::thumb::thumb:
2.Suitcase type sat dish aprox £60- £90:thumb:
3. Maxview hand crank up Roof Mounted Sat dish £350-£400:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
4.Full auto roof mounted sat dish £1100 -£1350:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
On the move TV Fully auto £2000 +:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
forgot to mention...with a sat dish you do need a sat receiver box...also on the site in my link.:thumb:

ps...follow Geo's 'star' rating and you cant go far wrong.

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Thank you both for that very useful information and you particularly John for making me laugh. I can still see that cycling fish in my head.

Ivy

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
'Tis such a shame you didn't speak to me on Roadpro's stand As I'm sure I could've helped you out.

D.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You still can Dave:thumb:
Give Ivy a tenner for her flying saucer when she come to have a sat dish fitted:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If there of the 530 style grab em
If there flying saucers they are £49.99 over priced:RollEyes:
But do make good Frizbies for the dog:thumb:

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I probably did speak to you Dave. I felt like nobody escaped my attention there. Anyway, needing a bargain, what do we think of this?

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back