When buying whether to upgrade to bigger engine? (1 Viewer)

Dawnbreak

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Not as yet
Even though months away from purchase, hubby has been reading brochure and we love the Sundance 580PR.....we have sat/looked/searched lots of others over the last 9 months and come back to this model.....he is wondering if it is worth upgrading to the optional 130 engine instead of the given 100. Any advice appreciated regarding engine power etc....thank you.

Oh also is a reversing camera essential?

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Personnelly if you intend to tour europe then i would have the engine upgrade to give you the extra oomph for going up hill.Dont think extra diesel comes into it.
I have a 120 multi jet that i use for work 3.5 tonne.My motorhome is 5 tonne and 28.5 feet long and is better on diesel than my work van,both 07 plate.
If you have a rear camera ,get a good one otherwise waste of time.Mine lets me use it has a rear view mirror and has image reverse so great for overtaking when abroad.Use mine all the time and would miss it if i did not have it.Also my better half does not have to get wet in bad weather when reversing onto a pitch etc.Has infra red for night time and great field of view.
Dave

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you can never have too much power.....if its an affordable option then i'd go for it.

same with the rev camera....while not essential it is worth fitting, especially if you intend towing a trailer/car.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
As the Yanks say there`s no substitute for cubes:Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile: cubic inches that is

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Even though months away from purchase, hubby has been reading brochure and we love the Sundance 580PR.....we have sat/looked/searched lots of others over the last 9 months and come back to this model.....he is wondering if it is worth upgrading to the optional 130 engine instead of the given 100. Any advice appreciated regarding engine power etc....thank you.

Oh also is a reversing camera essential?

My feeling is that it's better to have the power there when you need it than to rev the ++++ out of a lesser engine.

After all, it's the weight on the accelerator that governs the fuel consumption...I can drive all day with minimal throttle opening and feel this is the most economical way to drive...

You may just require the extra power one day.:thumb:

Steve.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I agree if you can afford the extra power go for it, you don't have to use it but it is always handy to have. I had a Auto-Sleeper Talisman that had the 2.8 engine never regretted it.

Would always now having had one go for a rear view camera, makes reversing so much easier.

Dave :thumb:

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
I agree if you can afford the extra power go for it, you don't have to use it but it is always handy to have. I had a Auto-Sleeper Talisman that had the 2.8 engine never regretted it.

Would always now having had one go for a rear view camera, makes reversing so much easier.

Dave :thumb:

Agree with above and only add that when it comes to resale, probably not worth a lot in ££££'s but it will make the m/home more saleable than others. (and lets face it there are a LOT of others out there)

Rgds

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back