Things you wish you had known...? (1 Viewer)

JaM

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Total Newbie
Hello,

All a bit new to this as only collected the MoHo last Friday and planning our first week away at end of the month. So, what do you know now that would have been really useful when starting out? Any brilliant ideas you wish someone had told you but you only found out the "Hard-Way"?

TIA :)

OP
OP
JaM

JaM

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Total Newbie
That it dumps all the water when the temp goes below 5-8 degs if the boiler is not on. 180 litres in our case!

Dick

Oh? not heard that!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
That tyres are date stamped and should be checked as they can blow out if to old and perished as happened to us on the M6.

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
What turns snow from white to yellow.

Eric

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
To carry a 10 litre plastic watering can for quick water top ups instead of faffing around with hoses, jerry cans and long waits at aire service points.

To carry a robust folding shopping trolley with a removable bag whose frame can be used for transporting jerry cans and bog cartridges to and from service points.

To check on the vehicle's maximum payload before a) purchasing and b) loading it up.

To fit a smart solar charge controller that is designed for specific battery types instead of the cheapest Chinese crap I could find on eBay.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Make sure all cupboards and lockers and fridge and windws and hekis are all shut and locked before setting off.
Wow Anthea thanks for that!

Been in the MH this morning doing stuff ahead of our trip next week and it was hot in the sun. So I opened a rooflight.

Been in the house half an hour, made coffee, picked up iPad and surfed the forum...read your post and remembered the rooflight was still open. Probably would have been like it for a few days if you’d not written what you did (y)

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Be aware that the back end swings round when cornering enough to flatten pedestrians on the pavement if you don't allow for it!
Or gateposts on campsites.. just ask Swmbo :whistle:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Do make sure the fridge door is shut properly before diving off .

Exploding can of flying beer makes a Bl#*&@ mess and is a waste :D

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Wish we'd understood what payload meant before we bought our first! Just thought - big van so we can put loads in!!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Make sure the person guiding you into any tight spots looks up so that you don’t catch on any over hanging branches, which my darling wife did in a car park which nearly took our bathroom overhead window off.

I won't mention the piece of conduit my wife fails to see on the ceiling in a multi storey in NZ then.
Fortunately the hire van looked like it had been "attacked" by various trees etc in the past.

Ohh and guess what it was my fault she didn't see it even after I had pointed it out before moving forward :rolleyes:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Do a dummy run week-end on your drive. Do it properly, cook, wash, live, etc.
Then when you realise you don't have a frying pan, crockery, or a can opener, or the gas runs out and you have no spare or spanner, etc. etc. you can go indoors and get one but go back to motorhome.
Keep a list and read the manuals.

Good luck and enjoy

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Switch your water pump off when you go out incase you have a leak in your pipe work, your pump will use to empty you water tank via!

If you are in areas with temps above 25 to 30 try if you can try to park so your fridge vents are not in direct sunlight or better still fit some fridge fans in the top vent. Loads of threads about what and how to do that.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Don't leave a box of eggs on the kitchen worksurface when you move off.:eek:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Have a way of reminding yourself what's left up, attached or connected before you drive off.

If the satellite dish is up I leave a dish in front of the instrument display on the dashboard.
If the EHU is connected I leave a spare EHU plug next to the dish.
If it's up on the chocs I have a small wheel chock (for handbrake emergency or steep hill parking use) which I leave next to the dish and the EHU plug.

That way I have reminders to tidy things away that stop me from seeing the dashboard properly.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Do a dummy run week-end on your drive. Do it properly, cook, wash, live, etc.
Then when you realise you don't have a frying pan, crockery, or a can opener, or the gas runs out and you have no spare or spanner, etc. etc. you can go indoors and get one but go back to motorhome.
Keep a list and read the manuals.

Good luck and enjoy

I would recommend everyone does this with a new to them van....(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back