Bought my van on Ebay `- broke every rule (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
After my last trip in the Eriba I decided I wanted something bigger.

I started looking at the smaller A class Hymers on Ebay etc - missed a 'bargain' - everything on it but needed chassis welding (£14k on a W plate) - sold within hours - before I could get to view. Another I didn't get to view, communication problem.

That Sunday I started to check 'Newly Listed' on Ebay and straight away saw an amazing Mobilvetta Euroyacht - problem - It was 200 miles away and I knew it would be sold by Monday.

The description read as 'honest' and genuine.

There was a 'Buy it Now' button........... after a couple of hours and seeing the number of 'Watchers' I hit the button, I phoned the seller straight away and paid £500 deposit by BACS

I checked HPI and asked the seller to send a photo of the V5

Over the next 2 days I sent a further £10k

Eventually on the Friday I went to see the van and meet the owner - great bloke and great van. I paid him the balance, took the new owners bit of the V5 and one set of keys.

We had built up a sense of trust by phone and text over the week and I was happy to leave him with a set of keys so that he could clear his stuff out of the van. I left without even starting the engine.

A week later we collected the van and drove the 200 miles home - smiling all the way

PS. The owner told me that after I hit the 'Buy it Now' button his phone went mad - 2 offers of deposits and 3 viewings booked for the next day - one at 9.30

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Congratulations on your purchase, I hope your new van serves you well.
Safe journeys.
Brisey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
After my last trip in the Eriba I decided I wanted something bigger.

I started looking at the smaller A class Hymers on Ebay etc - missed a 'bargain' - everything on it but needed chassis welding (£14k on a W plate) - sold within hours - before I could get to view. Another I didn't get to view, communication problem.

That Sunday I started to check 'Newly Listed' on Ebay and straight away saw an amazing Mobilvetta Euroyacht - problem - It was 200 miles away and I knew it would be sold by Monday.

The description read as 'honest' and genuine.

There was a 'Buy it Now' button........... after a couple of hours and seeing the number of 'Watchers' I hit the button, I phoned the seller straight away and paid £500 deposit by BACS

I checked HPI and asked the seller to send a photo of the V5

Over the next 2 days I sent a further £10k

Eventually on the Friday I went to see the van and meet the owner - great bloke and great van. I paid him the balance, took the new owners bit of the V5 and one set of keys.

We had built up a sense of trust by phone and text over the week and I was happy to leave him with a set of keys so that he could clear his stuff out of the van. I left without even starting the engine.

A week later we collected the van and drove the 200 miles home - smiling all the way

PS. The owner told me that after I hit the 'Buy it Now' button his phone went mad - 2 offers of deposits and 3 viewings booked for the next day - one at 9.30
That's how I have always done it, although I would have jibbed at sending 10 grand before seeing it.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Just did a search on google to see what you have bought and it looks to be a spanking bit of kit.

I bet the bum hole was pulsating a bit as you hit the "Buy it Now' button"

eBay can be a both a nightmare and a godsend.

Hope it's all you wanted and more, enjoy. (y)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Congratulations , sometimes you have to take risks in life!!!
Enjoy your new van!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
excellent BB ... Really nice van's too... I am sure you will be pleased with it. Some of the best decision's I have made have been when I have been experiencing highs from the black dog fight... Like you did here, sometimes you just get a feel for something and luckily it's paid off.
pictures please

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
excellent BB ... Really nice van's too... I am sure you will be pleased with it. Some of the best decision's I have made have been when I have been experiencing highs from the black dog fight... Like you did here, sometimes you just get a feel for something and luckily it's paid off.
pictures please

getPart.jpg
MB1.jpg
MB2.jpg
MB5.jpg
MB7.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Lovely MH ... I like the Ebay name of the seller! :D

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Just listen to you all - full of congratulations. What if it had gone belly up - would you be saying that would never happen to me etc. etc.:whistle:

Anyway I am very pleased it has worked for you and wish you many happy times @Barclaybasher(y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I'm glad it's worked out for you well and it's a great looking van.

I couldn't have parted with 10k though before getting the van.

Good on you though!

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Fortune favours the brave, eh.

What a steal. You won't be poking your head out of that talking to the plebs in an old FIAT. "By invitation only".

I'd still talk to you Brian..............

....someone has to;)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Lovely van :). I've bought numerous vehicles just as you describe and, as you say, establishing some sort of phone & email relationship with the seller is essential.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Looks a great van! Pleased your purchase has worked out and hope you have many happy adventures in it! (y)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wow, Vic... it's gorgeous ... well done you ... I LOVE the colour ... beautiful.

Are you selling your old one now and have you put it on Fun?

Can you put me on the list of Guided Tour please. It is so refreshing to get away from greys and beiges and my van horrible rust ...

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
That's a very nice van. But 200 miles ? really ? try living up here in the Highlands, we travelled to Warwick just to see a van, after talking to Bundesvan and getting extra photos off them.
Our first van was also over 200 miles away which I travelled down to twice before buying. When I bought my VW T5 it was from Heathrow, flew down drove back, only about 1100 miles.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Wow, Vic... it's gorgeous ... well done you ... I LOVE the colour ... beautiful.
Are you selling your old one now and have you put it on Fun?
Can you put me on the list of Guided Tour please. It is so refreshing to get away from greys and beiges and my van horrible rust ...

Thanks Joy, hoping to travel more and get to a few meets........needed more space, just for me though;)

Bit of a change from the Eriba........ yes up for sale on here and Ebay:)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Vic what a nice looking van, you'll definitely wonder what to do with all that space after your lovely Eriba Car have you sold it yet, still have fond memories of ours. Brave move but I'm sure you knew what you were doing. Enjoy your new van.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Well done for holding your nerve, looks a great van. May you enjoy many miles in her.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Vic, re the old van .. do you have to make the bed up at night or is it already there please. Roughly what mpg do you get from it?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back