Malwarebytes has disappeared! (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Just a 'heads-up' in case you have the same problem.

We subscribe to Malwarebytes Premium on our two laptops which gives real-time protection.

This morning I noticed that the icon had disappeared from the desktop and found that there was no trace of the programme on either laptop.

We've downloaded it again and input the activation key with no problems but how did the programme uninstall itself?

Just running a scan to see if there are any nasties lurking.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
No - mine is still here annoying me by blocking sites I want to go to :whistle:

:D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I have had this happen a few times and not only with Malwarebytes!! Turned out to that after the BIOS was updated the drive defaulted to the backed up image of my operating system which is bootable. I just had to reassign the bootup order in the BIOS to start with the C: drive and remember to update the backup image more often. :confused:

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
The reason I found out was because I was getting half a page of sponsored ads whenever I Googled anything so I decided to run a scan.

This has stopped now MWB is back up and running (y)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Not saying it's what happened in your case, but a friend of mine had some software removed by a Windows update. It decided the version wasn't new enough so just deleted it without saying a word. They couldn't reinstall the older version but were able to get a newer one.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The reason I found out was because I was getting half a page of sponsored ads whenever I Googled anything so I decided to run a scan.

This has stopped now MWB is back up and running (y)
Ah, I know what happened! You had the 'shy' version of Malwarebytes and your Googling activity made it extremely embarrassed so it ran away screaming! :D

.... what HAVE you been Googling Janine ...? :X3:

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
This is not funny!

Was just checking to see when my Malwarebytes Premium expires only to find that it had uninstalled itself again!

Heaven only knows how long I've been assuming that I'm protected in real-time when, in fact, it was doing diddly-squat.

I probably won't bother paying for another year...

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Free programs are always better than paid ones :) , oh w8 thats right malaware bytes used to be free :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Free programs are always better than paid ones :) , oh w8 thats right malaware bytes used to be free :rolleyes:

There is still a free version but you can pay to be covered in real-time rather than only finding malware when you do a scan.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
After having loads of problems and paying out to get my Windy 8 (10) sorted out, the company who did the work advised me to get rid of all my precious Anti-virus programs like SpyBot and two or three others and only use Windows Defender which is built in. From that time onwards I have had no problems at all during the last two plus years.
I now learn that if I have any other anti-virus prog. Windows Defender switches itself off.

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I use Windows Defender for virus protection but Malwarebytes is to stop ransomware & malware, which Defender doesn't protect against. As far as I know, both have worked side-by-side quite happily in the past.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I use Windows Defender for virus protection but Malwarebytes is to stop ransomware & malware, which Defender doesn't protect against. As far as I know, both have worked side-by-side quite happily in the past.
Windows defender does stop ransomware and malware - so long as you've got the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update:

Windows Defender Antivirus
Keep your PC safe with trusted antivirus protection built in to Windows 10. Windows Defender Antivirus delivers comprehensive, ongoing and real-time protection against software threats like viruses, malware and spyware across email, apps, the cloud and the web.

In Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, we released Windows Defender Exploit Guard, new set of intrusion prevention capabilities. One of its features, Controlled folder access, stops ransomware in its tracks by preventing unauthorized access to your important files. Controlled folder access locks down folders, allowing only authorized apps to access files. Unauthorized apps, including ransomware and other malicious executable files, DLLs, and scripts are denied access to folders.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/10/17/get-windows-10-fall-creators-update/

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Thanks for that, Mel - Mr Google didn't find that issue!

Just looked at Defender and it says that my laptop is covered by Malwarebytes for Antivirus Protection. I was under the impression that MWB didn't do antivirus? Confused now.

Even more research required!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We used to use Malwarebytes for 'active' protection but found it often turned off and left us exposed so dumped it and just use Windows Defender now which is good and covers all we need it to - having too many on a laptop means they can 'fight' with each other and cause issues.

Update your version of Defender and dump Malwarebytes and just use it for the occasional manual sweep if you want.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Used to have Premium Malwarebytes and for a while it was very good - but then they started tweaking & improving it until it broke... the web browsing protection wouldn't on and it started using a lot of CPU & huge amounts of RAM, slowing my PC to an unusable snails pace. Issues that are widely reported on their support forum but with no real answer except do a clean install [using their specific removal tool] of the latest version.
Which mostly doesn't help & didn't for me - so I'm back using their free "trial" version.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Just looked at Defender and it says that my laptop is covered by Malwarebytes for Antivirus Protection. I was under the impression that MWB didn't do antivirus? Confused now.
You're right, Defender is wrong. The Artificial Ignorance (AI) algorithm strikes again!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You're right, Defender is wrong. The Artificial Ignorance (AI) algorithm strikes again!
Er ... not that clear cut!

From Malwarebytes: Malwarebytes combines powerful new technologies built to seek out, destroy, and prevent malware infections.

Malwarebytes 3.0 is the next-gen security program that protects you from the most advanced (zero-day) threats, making antivirus obsolete. Malwarebytes 3.0 combines all of our malware-fighting technology - anti-malware, anti-ransomware, anti-exploit, and malicious website protection into one program that scans 4x faster than previous versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium.

Benefits:
  • Protects you from advanced (zero-day) threats, including ransomware, so you can surf the Web without worry
  • Removes all traces of malware for complete safety
  • Removes potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) that make your computer run poorly
  • Scans fast so you don't have to sit around and wait for your security to finish working
  • Easy to use, just set it and forget it
  • Can replace antivirus or run alongside other antivirus programs

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Hmmmm...so is it worth spending £20 a year on Malwarebytes or is Defender now sophisticated enough to do the job?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hmmmm...so is it worth spending £20 a year on Malwarebytes or is Defender now sophisticated enough to do the job?
Stick with defender (so long as you've updated it as I mentioned earlier) ... we've not had any issues at all with it.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Er ... not that clear cut!
Yes, you're right, they've expanded their definition of malware so that it now includes viruses, which it specifically didn't when I last read their ads a couple of years ago.

Human Ignorance always beats Artificial Ignorance;)

Jan 18, 2018
Old Basing, Basingstoke, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285
Could be that a recent MS update got rid of the application. It is however unusual for an update to uninstall the product.

Contrary to belief MacOS is susceptible to Viruses and Malware as a Windows based machine, the difference is, is that there are not so many people writing these programs for Mac as there are for Windows. This does appear to be changing though, more and more viruses are being found on Mac's.

No virus detection aid can find 100% most they can achieve is mid to high 70%. Check Google for the latest stats on virus detectors.

I use Avira on my Mac, seems ok, but there is a lot of choice, as I say check Google for the latest.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back