LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
...not literally, of course, but I'm looking for inspiration!

I've taken the heart-wrenching decision to sell 'Shirley' and buy another motorhome. (She'll be offered for sale on here as a fixer-upper in due course - pm me for details if you might be interested in a 1995 VW T4 Holdsworth Valentine 48,000 miles)

My wishlist:
less than 5.5 metres
2 bench seats/beds
decent kitchen
bathroom with shower
no fixed bed
panel van/coachbuilt/A-class - not fussy
VW engine would be the icing on the cake - definitely not a Transit!!
budget is Ā£30,000

Anything I should look for/avoid?

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
We've been the proud owners of a Devon Aztec panel van conversion for one entire week :D much of which has been spent cleaning and fettling. The only cleaning required has been to the cab area because it is a brand new conversion on a one-year old van which made a huge difference to the price.

So far we've been extremely impressed with the construction on the habitation side, coming from caravans everything in the Aztec feels strong and solid - only time will tell whether than is the case but so far we haven't found anything which feels wobbly or needs fixing properly. Although our Aztec is 6m they do conversions on smaller vans which would fit your 5.5m criteria. link to Devon Conversions

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
Jan, just been and looked at the link I posted (wanted to make sure it worked).

You wanted a VW under Ā£30K : (y)

upload_2017-10-12_17-56-9.png

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I think for that budget you can buy something really nice. Sorry can't recomend end anything though

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Janine, my panel van will be up for grabs shortly. It has just about everything anyone would want in a MH., including full size fridge freezer, Aberspacher diesel duel top water and heater, Sterling pure sine inverter/charger, 250 watts of solar panels, 330 amps of batteries, Snipe sat dome, Avtex TV, 2 ring gas plus 1 ring electric hob, Towbar, Microwave that runs from the inverter, Half leather upholstery, etc, etc, etc. Open to offers over Ā£20k.

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Hi Janine, my panel van will be up for grabs shortly. It has just about everything anyone would want in a MH., including full size fridge freezer, Aberspacher diesel duel top water and heater, Sterling pure sine inverter/charger, 250 watts of solar panels, 330 amps of batteries, Snipe sat dome, Avtex TV, 2 ring gas plus 1 ring electric hob, Towbar, Microwave that runs from the inverter, Half leather upholstery, etc, etc, etc. Open to offers over Ā£20k.

How long it please? (Errmm, you might have to be careful how you answer that!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I like the Sevel vans, you never see a rusty one and you get a Lot more for your money than VW.
Agree about Transits, had them at work, certainly not built to last.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
How long it please? (Errmm, you might have to be careful how you answer that!)

Its the Citroen relay 2.2 turbo diesel, its under 6 metres, but without getting the measure out I cannot say to be exact. Will measure in the morning with pleasure if interested.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Autosleeper Clubman?

Broken Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its the Citroen relay 2.2 turbo diesel, its under 6 metres, but without getting the measure out I cannot say to be exact. Will measure in the morning with pleasure if interested.
What is it? Just being nosy! :D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't think the Nuevo has 2 bench seats unless I've been looking at the wrong ones.
The EK version does but they're only short ones ... but then again you and Barrie .... :imoutahere:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I can heartily recommend the Autosleeper, we love ours & everything still works perfectly even though she's coming up on 18yrs old, the only issue's that I have are with the Peugeot underpinnings! With the VW you'd be onto a winner.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
I like the Sevel vans, you never see a rusty one and you get a Lot more for your money than VW.
Agree about Transits, had them at work, certainly not built to last.
'not built to last' where's that come from ??????

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you can find a second hand Murvi Piccolo or Pimento you'll struggle to find a better kitchen or bathroom in a van 5.5m long. It doesn't have twin bench seats but the layout works for us - very spacious.
Murvi have a VW Crafter based van for sale but it's 5.9m and Ā£38K but it would be worth asking them if they know if they might be getting a Piccolo or Pimento in - Murvi owners are a loyal lot and often exchange their existing van for a new one.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What is it? Just being nosy! :D2

Its the HB Autocampers built by Terry. The build was well documented on Fun, but when we bought it we had extra solar panels fitted so that we never need hookup and a Snipe satdome and Avtex TV.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I can heartily recommend the Autosleeper, we love ours & everything still works perfectly even though she's coming up on 18yrs old, the only issue's that I have are with the Peugeot underpinnings! With the VW you'd be onto a winner.
I agree, assuming you can minimise the tin worm that inevitably affects VW at some point.
I know on first glance they appear expensive and don't seem to devalue at all, but they are so well built and so sought after..
The monocoque construction is a winner and despite being an 'old model' the VW 2.5tdi is a pleasure to drive.

I'd also suggest Karmann, they have a lovely range of Volkswagen based vans but don't think length and layout match @Janine's requirements.

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
Morning Janine. I have a 2008 Devon Astec pvc conversion which was completed about 5 years ago by previous owner. It is based on the citroen relay and is just under 6 meters. Generally happy with van, no major issues so far. It has a huge rear lounge with 2 single beds that can be converted easily into a double. Just some observations, it only can take 3, 3.9 kg propane cylinders which are in the back of the van, the 240 volt sockets 3 in total are located on one side of the van only, so I sometimes have to use an extension lead. Comes with a shower and loo, but very compact, you would be fine, but I come in at 19 stone, so not much squeeze room for the shower. Not sure how good the insulation is, would check that out if purchasing a pvc conversion. Newer vans may have a slightly better spec, but generally my van meets my needs, the rear lounge being the best feature. Hope this helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back