Free Member
Oct 7, 2009
northern ireland
Funster No
MH
argos 747-2
Exp
two
Hi, I am looking for advice regarding using the Eurotunnel for our first time. We will be travelling from Belfast to Stranraer and then driving down to Folkstone arriving on Monday the 28th June 2010. We have a Burstner Argos which is 8.8 mtrs long and there will be 2 adults,2kids and 2 dogs on board. Can anyone advise the best way of booking and what is the most economical time etc to cross and how much in advance do you need to book?
We will be staying in France for approx 8 weeks.Any help will be really appreciated!!

Many thanks,

AST

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
If you're a member of. say the Caravan Club (CC), they usually give a discount, some forums do too.

I usually go on to the Eurotunnel site (Link Removed and check out the best/cheapest times and then ring the CC and get a discount.

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Generally late crossing through the night tend to be cheapest. Maybe travelling on a late crossing and staying at the Calais Aire then setting off in the morning?

Good with dogs as youare with the vehicle and not leaving them in the MH while you go upstairs etc that is why we always use the tunnel.

Worth checking around sometimes Clubs are cheaper but have found occasions when booking direct is better just depends on when you are going I guess

Hope this helps:thumb:
HAve fun:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
You might find it easier to book two singles, especially if you may want to make changes to the return,
violet

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We have travelled on Eurotunnel many times with the car and you only pay for the car not for the amount of people in the car and I think it is the same for the motorhome as we have only travelled a few times with the motorhome on the tunnel...but we have two dogs and it cost 46 euros each dog......but if I remember it was only charged one way...meaning(not sure which way it was ) but just say from Calais to England it cost 92 euros...from England to Calais it was free ?? don't ask me why ?? we have found that to book way in advance was a lot cheaper and yes as the other funster said travel in the late night early morning was a better price, and also as the other funster said your dogs travel with you and more relaxed....much better way of travel it is just a shame it is so expensive and also it only takes 35 mins on the crossing.

Mel :thumb: Happy holiday

bluereiver

Free Member
Oct 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi

You should have a look on the Eurotunnel web site and play around with different times and dates.

The fares will be about £66 to £86 each way depending on the time of crossing and the dog is £30 additional. The charge for the dog is only from France and covers the check of the dog passport at Calais. You also need to be aware of the regulations regarding having the dog treated for ticks and worms (and recorded in the dog passport)before returning to the UK. This is what is checked at Calais.
We use Tesco vouchers which are changed at the rate of 4 to 1 ie the £132 fare can be paid for with £33 worth of vouchers.

Hope this helps.

Sam

Henryhymer

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
Funster No
Went on Eurotunnel with the van for the first time last summer. Booked through CC CLub after checking times and fares on eurotunnel website. Chose the tunnel as taking dogs abroad for first time and didn't want to leave them for hours on the ferry. Couldn't believe how straight forward and simple it was and how helpful all ET staff were.
Found this wee video on the caravan channel which was useful in terms of what to expect Link Removed (hope link works).

Stayed at La Chaumiere campsite for a couple of nights on the way back at Buysscheure and they made all vets arrangements for me www.campinglachaumiere.com
Others have also posted about how helpful this campsite owner is. His wife works at the local vets.

Have fun

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just used the link above to price up the RV and Toad :thumb:

Has anyone tried or seen a 36ft Rv and toad fit on the train:Eeek:
Geo

drs

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Ware, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Tesco Club Card points can be the cheapest way of using the tunnel.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Geo

I have seen a 52 seater coach with a luggage trailer using Eurotunnel so you should be ok. May be worth giving them a call before booking.

marymo

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Dublin
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8 years
We travel dublin - holyhead- tunnel-calais most years and will again this year 2 days afer you......I usually book tunnel directly from website picking times which are cheapest which is usually midnight to 6am....mostly we arrive earlier and have had no problem gettiing on an earlier train at no extra cost. We travel back end of August directly from Cherbourg to Rosslare - shorter distance to drive with a full load of "Shopping". Again we have to play around with days etc. and get best price.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp

Geo

Hi Geo we used thetunnel last year with our 34' Monaco and toad when we went on a tour of France and of course met you both at the 'Funsters' rally at Parc Verger in August.

No problems staff are excellent and we arrived early and were asked if we wanted an earlier train at no extra cost.

The only thing is the folding doors in the carriages are quite narrow and you have to go through about 20 of them:Eeek::Eeek: with a clearance of just inches each side of the mirrors.

But I think an excellent and fairly cheap way to get to France considering Brittainy Ferries wanted £700 Portsmouth - Caen and LD lines wanted just over £600 Portsmouth Le Havre!! that is why we travelled from Southampton to Folkstone to use the tunnel £230 I think.

This is a pic I found to give you an idea of the width.

WinterWonderland2007162.jpg

Regards Pat

marge & homer

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
Northern Ireland
Funster No
Exp
2 months
Would agree with DRS. we did the same journey last year and ferry Belfast - Stranraer and the tunnell cost us nothing but our Tescoes vouchers. You can also use these for entrance to Park Asterix and Futuroscope. Just log onto Tesco's website and select Deals. Only problem will be if you shop in Asda or Sainsburys:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Geo

Geo is that pulling - pushing or sat on it :thumb:.....................I can not see why not as the trains we have travelled on with our motorhome had loads of coaches full of teenages........also the lorries all travel on eurotunnel ....is there a comersial side to check for vehicles over a certain amount of tons...?? :thumb:
Mel

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
....is there a comersial side to check for vehicles over a certain amount of tons...?? :thumb:
Mel

No the commercial HGV's travel on a separate train on almost open backed wagons & drivers travel on separate coaches. This is where the two fires have occurred. On the passenger trains they can seal any compartment & fill it with gas to put out any fire (in theory).

On our last trip I thought it would be a good idea to put my headlight deflectors on during the crossing. Got told off by staff as the lights can set of the fire safety system. the guy explained what happens if a fire occurs & it sounded quite scary. :Eeek:

Edit: I agree, the Tesco points is the way to go & the cheapest.

Last edited:

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
It's Eurotunnel every time for us, do it 3-4 times per year. Off-peak Folkestone -Calais is 16.20 onwards till around 05.00, coming back 10.00 till 16.00.(obviously to make day trips expensive).

We have 2 dogs and you pay £30 each on return leg only (DEFRA charge to enter UK)...but we stay overnight in Pet Control car park in Calais so get our money's worth (plenty of places for walkies too):thumb:

We wouild never use ferry with dogs as a friend who works on ferries told us that in the event of a fire alarm being set off the sensors emit heavy gas to quench flames and anyone/thing that is in a vehicle would die!!:cry:

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Once you've tried Eurotunnel, you will be spoilt for the ferries!

It's so easy and quick, and if you're in a motorhome the time of the crossing (early or late the cheapest) is not much of a problem :Smile:

We first travelled a few weeks after it opened and we've always found the staff so polite and helpful.
Sometimes they let us on an earlier train too! ::bigsmile:

Even though we live on the Isle of Wight, we prefer to drive to Folkestone and bypass the Portsmouth Ferry which is almost next to the IOW service!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back