Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
I have read the pros and cons regarding generators, even the battles between the various brands, and have decided to take the plunge and buy one.
One thing does occur to me however, how do people secure their gennys whilst in use? I would imagine a light fingered type could have it away before you could exit your van.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
When we use ours wether we're London or Eastbourne or where ever, we always chain ours up...............having said that it would hard to run off with a 22kg genny:ROFLMAO: but you cant be too careful:Eeek:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I've got a Motorcyle chain and one of the Alarm Padlocks that Aldi were selling last week. Bloody noisy alarm and quite senitive so it should go off if anyone tampers with the chain or the Generator :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I use one of these (link below). Loop it through the generator's handle, then round the tow-bar and padlock it. I would never leave the site without storing the gennie away in the garage, but this seems a fair deterrent whilst one is in attendance but out of sight inside.

If you don't have a tow-bar, it could be padlocked to the base vehicle's towing loop.

Philip

>> Master Lock <<

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I use one of these to attach the genny to the tow bar frame.

Link Removed

OP
OP
yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Exp
September '09
Thanks for your replies. I'll join the chain gang and sleep well knowing my genny is safe.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
For what its worth the steel ropes are more difficult to cut than a chain using convensional theives kit, hack saw croppers etc although a cordless grinder will do both in seconds:RollEyes:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I use one of these.:thumb:

Link Removed

Saves me having to worry about another key.

Cheers
Alan
What evidence have they got that promoted the manufacture of a Kryptonite lock that Superman was a generator/bicycle thief:Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I concur with the previous posters and use a steel wire and padlock when it's running... but the risk of someone actually nicking while it's running I would think very low..

You could of course buy a KIPOR .. no one nicks them :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
part of Geo's kit and part of delwoods.....

a 2.5 mtr plastic coated high tensile steel cable from halfrauds and an alarm padlock from one of the shows.

any sudden shock (hammer attack) transmitted through the cable sets off the padlock alarm. :thumb:

little 600w gennies are very hard to secure due to the screwed on handle and no frame.
i fitted a small bracket to an engine bolt and the padlock just fits through...takes a bit of time to undo a bolt, so better than nowt.

onan

Free Member
Aug 6, 2008
Funster No
Someone must have been living a sheltered life. A running padlocked genny was stolen from an RV at Americana and several secured gennies were stolen overnight at a Peterborough show by an ethnic minority.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Someone must have been living a sheltered life. A running padlocked genny was stolen from an RV at Americana and several secured gennies were stolen overnight at a Peterborough show by an ethnic minority.

hi Onan and welcome....:thumb:

how do you know it was an ethnic minority ? were they caught in the act...if so the security measures worked...they got caught !!!!
as for the secured RUNNING genny..i can only assume the owner was watching the bands at the time and wasnt with the van.

OP
OP
yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Exp
September '09

I have heard of running generators being stolen from building sites. This is why I asked the question.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have heard of running generators being stolen from building sites. This is why I asked the question.

we had a site genny...(noisier than a blacksmiths shop)...stolen from outside a vacant house we were rewirng...

2" link steel chain and a large heavy padlock fastened around the steel incoming gas pipe.

we thought it had run out of fuel so went to refill....GONE :Eeek:

buggers even took the chain and lock:Angry:

just shows..if they want it they'll take it.

mind..even if we'd seen them run off with it they could have it...you never argued on this estate...fight one, you fight 'em all.
coppers only went on this estate in two's and never in a car.
if they got out it was nicked and if they didnt it was stoned.:Eeek:

OP
OP
yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Exp
September '09
we had a site genny...(noisier than a blacksmiths shop)...stolen from outside a vacant house we were rewirng...

2" link steel chain and a large heavy padlock fastened around the steel incoming gas pipe.

we thought it had run out of fuel so went to refill....GONE :Eeek:

buggers even took the chain and lock:Angry:

just shows..if they want it they'll take it.

mind..even if we'd seen them run off with it they could have it...you never argued on this estate...fight one, you fight 'em all.
coppers only went on this estate in two's and never in a car.
if they got out it was nicked and if they didnt it was stoned.:Eeek:

Yes, I think I've been there::bigsmile:.

OP
OP
yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Exp
September '09
Not familiar with that one but could name several others from my market research days....Well a guy's got to make a living. Or did have to:winky:.

OP
OP
yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Exp
September '09
Ah, yes I know the place, where did they move the scum to? They are someone elses problem now. Oh well, that's politics for you. "We tackled the problem" meand they moved it elswhere.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ah, yes I know the place, where did they move the scum to? They are someone elses problem now. Oh well, that's politics for you. "We tackled the problem" meand they moved it elswhere.

some moved back to middlesborough (the drug dealers), some back to leeds and the rest got scattered throughout the borough.

unfortunately the council had no choice but offer alternative accomodation as they sold the properties to a private housing association who in turn served demolition notices and i believe they werent obliged to rehouse them.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just a minor point but....

Includes two 13Amp, 230V sockets

looks suspiciously like a pair of 16amp sockets to me !

Ruddy

Free Member
Feb 24, 2009
Haverhill,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
> 1yr
Yes, I got my catalogue today. Have you seen the noise level though? Give Kipor uses something to groan about.:ROFLMAO:

Yep noticed that, but if you look on the web site it quote's 60.5db, the mag also says the IG1000 is 92db's (last years mag says 64db). I think its a misprint as my one is no where near 92db :Eeek:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Most secure way for the genny is to build it into the motorhome in a side locker if possible. Just make sure it can breath properly (both in and more importantly out, probably through an extended exhaust pipe) and you have good sound insulation around it.

Oh and dont forget to bolt it down but use a rubber mat to sit it on and use rubber washers/gaskets on the fixing bolts as well :thumb:

Also make sure you allow a method for refueling or even better fuel it off the motorhome fuel tank or go LPG conversion if available.:thumb:

OP
OP
yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Exp
September '09
It may be worth me calling into Machine Mart to see what it says on the packaging. It's a big saving and other Clarke products I've bought have been good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back