Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
numpty - just wondering, would it be possible/practical to put a DVD film onto a USB memory stick ? Would you be able to watch it or would the stick not work fast enough ?

<edit> thinking in terms of watching from the stick rather than downloading to the computer

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Some of the lads in work do it, they download to their computer and then transfere it to their stick.

Jim

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
Yes, it can be done :)

Basically you need to "rip" the DVD to a file on your PC, then copy this file onto the USB stick.
You then need some software on your laptop that will play that file.

I like vlcplayer - It seems to work out-of-the-box with messing around with codec packs, etc etc.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Google is your friend. There are lots of different freeware packages to rip & decode from DVD's, you just need to find one that you like.

A USB 2.0 stick would be best as it is much faster speed than the older USB, although I;ve never tried it with an old stick.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Great I will try it when I get home with some DVDs on my computer. I have a 16gig usb2 stick and I know I can put files off the computer onto it but wasn't sure if I could view from the stick like you can a picture without having to download it back onto another computer which I didn't want to do.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Great I will try it when I get home with some DVDs on my computer. I have a 16gig usb2 stick and I know I can put files off the computer onto it but wasn't sure if I could view from the stick like you can a picture without having to download it back onto another computer which I didn't want to do.

I think if the movie is an AVI file you can just plug your stick in and open the stick drive then paly it on Windows Media Player without the need for extra software. Lets know how you get on

Jim
:Smile:

tommywelly

Free Member
Feb 24, 2010
Funster No
You will need a stick larger than 4.6 get an 8gig but you will only get 1 dvd on it. you should have no trouble.
tommywelly

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
he stick is 16 gig so should do for a couple of films at a time. I will be using apple macs rather than windows but I will let you all know how it goes :Smile:

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
dvdshrink is your friend.

It's a great tool for getting rid of menus and extras, etc etc that you dont want when making backups of DVD that you own.

You can decide on a size and it will adjust the quality of the move to fit into that size.

Having said that, I've only used it to take double-layer discs that I bought and write a backup copy onto a standard 4.7GB disc, or just to remove the menus and junk from a std DVD

It should be possible to shrink to a stick instead of to another DVD.

Good luck.

Edit: Just saw your post about using a mac, so you can ignore my post above, apart from the "good luck" bit ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back