Towing A Smart (1 Viewer)

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Does anyone know if the odometer on a Smart works when it is being towed i.e. The mileage covered increases!!!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Checked mine on Peugeot 107, odometer does not increase, yours may.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Hi,

I would suspect that electronic versions do not where mechanical ones would. I tow a seicento, electronic odometer; no increase in recorded mileage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Does anyone know if the odometer on a Smart works when it is being towed i.e. The mileage covered increases!!!

The simple answer to that is NO, because everything on Smart is electronic i.e.no cables what so ever. The only electric circuits that are active with the ignition off are the Side Lights, Brake lights and Hazard warning lights. Brake lights are therefore active on over-run of the A-Frame so you dont need to extend the electrics on that circuit from the Motorhome, reason I added that, is on some vehicles it is possible to blow a fuse in the brake circuit due to conflicting power supplies.

Sorry if I answered more than asked, just giving you my experience of Smart towing of 8 years.

Brian

OP
OP

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thank you all, just need to get it A Framed and a towbar on the van

david.h.gto

Free Member
Sep 29, 2009
Stratford upon Avon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Started in mid 70's for 10 years in Bedford Bedouins!
A framed Smart

The simple answer to that is NO, because everything on Smart is electronic i.e.no cables what so ever. The only electric circuits that are active with the ignition off are the Side Lights, Brake lights and Hazard warning lights. Brake lights are therefore active on over-run of the A-Frame so you dont need to extend the electrics on that circuit from the Motorhome, reason I added that, is on some vehicles it is possible to blow a fuse in the brake circuit due to conflicting power supplies.

Sorry if I answered more than asked, just giving you my experience of Smart towing of 8 years.

Brian

Have just bought a LHD Smart Cabrio to tow on a braked A frame behind a 20 ft Rapido Sprinter based MH.
I don't anticipate noticing it on the back, but was interested in your comment about live circuits when towing. This suggests that all we need to have connected via the trailer socket are the indicator circuits - where do I find them to take the feed from I wonder?
Any other advice? Rear view camera? "On tow" sign?
I will be fitting a full width mudflap on the M/H
Regards
David H:Confused:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This suggests that all we need to have connected via the trailer socket are the indicator circuits - where do I find them to take the feed from I wonder?

simply connect the wiring to the front indicator lamp wires.
works on a corsa :thumb:

you also need to connect side lamps and fog lamp wires.

cant stop on a motorway just to turn the toads fog/sidelights on:Doh:

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Have just bought a LHD Smart Cabrio to tow on a braked A frame behind a 20 ft Rapido Sprinter based MH.
I don't anticipate noticing it on the back, but was interested in your comment about live circuits when towing. This suggests that all we need to have connected via the trailer socket are the indicator circuits - where do I find them to take the feed from I wonder?
Any other advice? Rear view camera? "On tow" sign?
I will be fitting a full width mudflap on the M/H
Regards
David H:Confused:

Hi david,

I take it that you are having the frame attached by someone else, they should be able to tee into the Side Lights / Indicator and Hazard lights whilst fitting it and bring them out the front on the caravan socket. On my Smart the towing bracket came out through the lower air intake, they just cut away the vertical bars.

I made up two warning triangles with suckers on the front that could be put in the rear window and of course you will need a clip on number plate to put over the Smarts.

If you want explicit details send me a PM

Brian

Last edited:

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
Smart 4 sale with A frame.

Hi my smart with A frame is 4 sale reg 07 12 miles with fsh.john on 07725121648
Telford:cry::cry::cry:

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
gosh, all that hassle your letting your self into with interconnecting electric, drilling holes for brake cables and all that,

do it the easy way and use a trailer... i just happen to have one for sale right now (it's in the for sale section, and will be at the newark show) :winky:

im selling it as i no longer plan to go abroad, so will be getting an A-frame (i know people get away with towing a-framed cars abroad as if it's legal in the uk it has to be allowed there, but try telling that to the irate spanish coppers who wanted to tow my scooter and dog trailer away because a dog trailer is illegal in spain, even tho it's perfectly legal in the uk and elsewhere in europe, i only managed to keep the scoot as i was less than a K from the aire i was staying on, and prommised i'd put it on the back of the motorhome and not use it again in spain, but my Gf had to walk to dog back to the aire)

So i'm looking for an A-frame for my car, i know it will be a little bit of a pain as i have a smart 451.. the new shape one, and it has multiplex wiring, so i need to fit diodes and an isolator relay bank to tie the motorhomes electrics to the smarts, it's almost easier to use a trailer board, but i hate those ugly things.

i plan to keep my smart till the wheels fall off, so not worried about re-sale value, so having electronic boxes hacked into the wiring and brackets added to the front suspension, and holes cut in the bumper are not an issue for me, but for some it is, and a lot of people will walk away from a car that has been a-frames as the mileage shown will only be the engines mileage, the rest of the drive train will have higher mileage as when it's towed it's still in use and wearing out

(someone got sued years ago for selling a towed car and not disclosing the fact, buyer found out when he got a big bill for replacement suspension and brake parts which firstly indicated the car had been clocked, then the mechanics found the evidence of an a-frame mount had been on the car, and figured out the true story)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back