Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
Well, plucked my first g string tonight, no, not that sort. Decided having enjoyed Janine playing at the Bristol balloon fair a couple of years ago to finally take the plunge and buy an uke. Janine recommended on the forum a while back what to purchase, which I have now done. I did learn some basic chords and how to tune the Uke before going to my first beginners session tonight. Talk about being thrown in the deep end. Straight into singing and sort of playing , as part of about 25 of us. Came unstuck a lot, but just kept on strumming. Had a fantastic evening, 4 more sessions to go. This is with the Southampton Ukelele Jam. Managed to also get booked into my local library tomorrow for 6 sessions. These I hope will be easier and help with technique. So thanks Janine for introducing me to the wonderful world of the UK.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
@Janine (y)

I have seen many at their workshops at the meets, I wonder how many kept it going. :D Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
@scottie Oh dear, I'm afraid you are on a slippery slope now :) :)

It's a great social life - I have met hundreds of people through playing and, yes, most of them are totally bonkers!

Stuart, aka Cap'n Pugwash, started off at the Southampton group and now runs his own club up here in Shropshire. He was the one who first put his little instrument in my hand and got me hooked 7 years ago.

Happy times ahead :)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Talking of Bristol, here's what happened a couple of years ago when we met up with Geraldine @cliffandger and had a busk in the sunshine waiting for the ferry.
10734201_10154428882110200_7919212805853616901_n.jpg

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I'm confused now. When I first joined Fun, I dutifully went out and bought the FB pies, now you're saying I need a Uke too ? :D

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Talking of Bristol, here's what happened a couple of years ago when we met up with Geraldine @cliffandger and had a busk in the sunshine waiting for the ferry.
View attachment 189831

It's all @Janine and Barrie's :notworthy2::notworthy2: fault - we've just got back from Spain today - and look where I'm going on Thursday - yes, that is the day after tomorrow......

With three brilliant mates I've met since joining The Bristol Ukulele Jam... I will start a thread with photos.......

All since I went to one of J and B's little workshops at The Bring and Buy Meet at Wrenbury 3 years ago - three ukes (one Luthier hand made - no pockets in a shroud) later - and I am still in love, singing (which means I'm fluent) and having a brilliant time - @Jim is also to blame - it wouldn't have happened without MHF!!! (y)

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
I'm confused now. When I first joined Fun, I dutifully went out and bought the FB pies, now you're saying I need a Uke too ? :D

I really am going to have to step in here.
FIRSTLY - Just because you own a FB PIE ,does not mean that you have to eat it.
We carry such a pie (in the boot of course),BUT its a sort of emergency pie,-that has been in the van for a few years now.
In a modern society ,there is always the chance that someday you
will meet a starving African/englishman /welshman, that you have to feed immediately.
Imagine the embarrassment if on that day you had no FB pie.
Now about the Uke, and i hesitate here ,in case i cause any unintended offence.
Uke players have two choices in life,
either play it in a seperate room (with the spoon rattlers and bones players OR and its a big OR,have it hollowed out and wear it backwards on you head at halloween or christmas.
Don't let anyone tell you that you have to play it in public.
THAT IS A LIE.
i do hope this has altered your thinking,if it means one less uke player in this world- well it was worth it.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I really am going to have to step in here.
FIRSTLY - Just because you own a FB PIE ,does not mean that you have to eat it.
We carry such a pie (in the boot of course),BUT its a sort of emergency pie,-that has been in the van for a few years now.
In a modern society ,there is always the chance that someday you
will meet a starving African/englishman /welshman, that you have to feed immediately.
Imagine the embarrassment if on that day you had no FB pie.
either play it in a seperate room (with the spoon rattlers and bones players OR and its a big OR,have it hollowed out and wear it backwards on you head at halloween or christmas.
THAT IS A LIE.
i do hope this has altered your thinking,if it means one less uke player in this world- well it was worth it.
Oi!!!

Wyn

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
THAT IS A LIE.

:boxing::moon2::moon2::moon2:

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
@scottie Oh dear, I'm afraid you are on a slippery slope now :) :)

It's a great social life - I have met hundreds of people through playing and, yes, most of them are totally bonkers!

Stuart, aka Cap'n Pugwash, started off at the Southampton group and now runs his own club up here in Shropshire. He was the one who first put his little instrument in my hand and got me hooked 7 years ago.

Happy times ahead :)

No comment seems safest !!
i must have led a very sheltered life.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
THAT IS A LIE.

...and you don't think this might cause offence?

Each to his or her own, I say and if you can't say anything nice, maybe not say anything at all?

Oh and have a nice day :)

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
No I did not! ,I intended it as a genuinely funny comment,
That said,it has clearly offended you and am sorry about that