Satellite reception in Germany (1 Viewer)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
My son is with HM Forces based at Fallingbostel in Germany. He wants a satellite 'set-up' which will give him extra channels. He's not interested in football or cricket (just skiing!) and i've advised him not to get involved with Sky, so it would mainly be for movies and general entertainment.

Anyone any ideas as to a decent type of receiver he should go for and approx what size dish etc?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I assume he wants to access English channels on Astra 2D? So long as I have identified the correct location (south of Hamburg) then according to Lyngsat, he would need a dish between 65-85 cm in diameter (see below).
Is it for a static installation, or on a motorhome? If the latter, a dome would not do it, but an 85 cm parabolic should be OK (e.g. Crystop / Oyster etc.). According to the maps on RoadPro's site, the Kathrein CAP 900 would work (77 cm) but that is a GPS-controlled premium system.
Regarding receiver, I should have thought any free-to-air box that has the UK system programmed into it should work. For a motorhome / 12V installation, the Zehnder or something like that.

Philip

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/astra2d.html

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I assume he wants to access English channels on Astra 2D? So long as I have identified the correct location (south of Hamburg)....
Yes thats correct Jean. Appreciate the advice. At least he's permanently static and not moving like a motorhome so once his dish is 'sorted', thats it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
My son was stationed at Hohne and there was a satellite dish positioned on the roof of his block of flats. I gave him my sky digibox and freeview card and he received all the UK freesat channels.

I used my Oyster sat dish (85cm) mounted on my motorhome and received excellent reception in the northern Germany.

Ian

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
My son was stationed at Hohne and there was a satellite dish positioned on the roof of his block of flats. I gave him my sky digibox and freeview card and he received all the UK freesat channels.

I used my Oyster sat dish (85cm) mounted on my motorhome and received excellent reception in the northern Germany.

Ian
Afraid they don't have that 'luxury'! If they want extra satellite channels other than whats provided by the Forces, they have to get their own dish and stick that up.

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I agree that your lad will need at least a 60cm dish to get all the available channels from Astra 2.

The best way to get the most out of it is for you to get hold of a used sky box (put an ad in the local paper) - there are plenty out there as people are changing to HD they have unused older boxes.

When you have the box ask sky for a "free to view card" - costs £20 as a one off payment. You will need the box details which can be found by plugging it in to the power and your telly then press services and system details.

Using this method your lad will be able to use the interactive services which are not available on all FTA boxes. He will be able to press the red button on BBC channels and get the sport they are showing on interactive.

Just don't tell sky that the box is in Germany!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back