Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
Just had an email back from Svtech, they can uprate my Hymer 662 from 3500kg to 4000kg without any mechanical changes, this would give me a payload of 900kg. Apart from the lower speed limits in the EU and the higher tolls are there any disadvantages?
I have a C1 and have got 10 years until I need a medical.
Regards
Tom.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
When you come to sell it you may find it harder to sell (if the buyer doesn't have C1). Conversely though I believe that there is cheaper Road tax as it changes group ;)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I guess axel weight is something to watch as you could easily fall foul of overloading the rear axel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Just had an email back from Svtech, they can uprate my Hymer 662 from 3500kg to 4000kg without any mechanical changes, this would give me a payload of 900kg. Apart from the lower speed limits in the EU and the higher tolls are there any disadvantages?
I have a C1 and have got 10 years until I need a medical.
Regards
Tom.
You dont have a lower speed limit in the UK as you are not a goods vehicle with a tachograph.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
when you come to sell you can downrate if you want , paper exercise , and as mentioned phgv is lower road tax :)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As far as we are concerned there are no disadvantages you have plenty of payload and as far as the back axle goes don't worry about it you can spread the load with care we have an Exsis I @4250 kg and regularly travel for long trips 3 or 4 months at a time and are able to carry all we need for the two of us and the two dogs also tow a car trailer without worrying about overloading(y)(y)(y)
By the way I know there are other company's but SV Tech are worth the money although there are those that would disagree.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Not in the UK, speed limit is based on unladen weight
And when plated at 4000kgs, if that gives you a payload of 900kgs then your motorhome must weigh 3100kgs unladen. If it's over 3050kgs unladen weight then it's 50mph on a single carriageway, 60mph on a dual carriageway and 70mph on a motorway.

Mike

OP
OP
Norfolk Nomad

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
And when plated at 4000kgs, if that gives you a payload of 900kgs then your motorhome must weigh 3100kgs unladen. If it's over 3050kgs unladen weight then it's 50mph on a single carriageway, 60mph on a dual carriageway and 70mph on a motorway.

Mike
Good point but the unladen weight is not listed anywhere on the V5 or the weight plate, so unless oldbill want's to unload everything and weigh it I don't see it being a problem.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Good point but the unladen weight is not listed anywhere on the V5 or the weight plate, so unless oldbill want's to unload everything and weigh it I don't see it being a problem.
My V5 has a mass in service of 3045KG and a revenue weight of 4500KG Gross so I am not restricted to the lower speed limits.
If My mass in service was over 3050KG I presume it would be restricted to the lower speed limit.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Mike
Payload as stated by manufacturers is the differene between MIRO and MAM, they do not specify the unladen weight, at a guess the unladen weight would be around 2900kg.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Mike

Max weight - Payload is NOT Unladen Weight. It's MIRO.

Unladen Weight and Mass In Running Order are two completely different things. As far as I know no motorhome converter anywhere in the world specifies an unladen weight anywhere on any official documentation.

The reason for that is that it would be impossible. There is a specific legal definition of Unladen Weight part of which requires that the vehicle has no fluids - fuel, lubricants, coolants etc - in it. As the converters don't build the base chassis they have no practical way of weighing the completed vehicle with no fluids so they don't even try to.

The only place it will ever be asked for is in this stupid unenforceable loophole in the UK speed limit laws.

Unladen Weight is only used to determine speed limits for motor caravans. No other class of vehicle.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Be aware that DVLA are inconsistent regarding changes to category F.1 (MPM) on your V5 log book.

We went through the up-plating process recently via SVTech (extremely helpful and informative people) and a local fitting service who installed air assist suspension. Where it all went wrong was getting DVLA to change category F.1 MPM (Maximum Permissable Mass) - basically they didn't. All they changed was the Revenue Weight because the V5's change of details section doesn't include MPM.

When I re-submitted my V5 to DVLA for a change to MPM the Post Office 'lost' it (more likely it was nicked). I received the replacement with only a couple of days to spare before a trip abroad.

Meanwhile, someone out there knows there's a new motorhome connected to our address. Bloody brilliant.

Two tips - write a covering letter to DVLA asking for MPM to be changed as well as Revenue Weight when you send the V5 off. Secondly, send the V5 by Special Delivery ONLY. That way you'll be compensated if Royal Fail lose it.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Be aware that DVLA are inconsistent regarding changes to category F.1 (MPM) on your V5 log book.

We went through the up-plating process recently via SVTech (extremely helpful and informative people) and a local fitting service who installed air assist suspension. Where it all went wrong was getting DVLA to change category F.1 MPM (Maximum Permissable Mass) - basically they didn't. All they changed was the Revenue Weight because the V5's change of details section doesn't include MPM.

When I re-submitted my V5 to DVLA for a change to MPM the Post Office 'lost' it (more likely it was nicked). I received the replacement with only a couple of days to spare before a trip abroad.

Meanwhile, someone out there knows there's a new motorhome connected to our address. Bloody brilliant.

Two tips - write a covering letter to DVLA asking for MPM to be changed as well as Revenue Weight when you send the V5 off. Secondly, send the V5 by Special Delivery ONLY. That way you'll be compensated if Royal Fail lose it.
Its very rare for the MPM to be on the V5 of a motorhome. I don't know why. None of mine have ever has it in.

OP
OP
Norfolk Nomad

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017

You've lost me now, I thought that revenue weight was the important one. Have I missed something?

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Its very rare for the MPM to be on the V5 of a motorhome. I don't know why. None of mine have ever has it in.

I have had two motorhomes and the MPM has been on the V5C of both of them. Consistency is not a strong point with the DVLA!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You've lost me now, I thought that revenue weight was the important one. Have I missed something?

Call me ultra cautious but why travel abroad with a V5 showing 3850 Kgs Revenue Weight (ie for taxation) as one figure and the Maximimum Permissable Mass (ie for carrying stuff) as a lower figure (3500 Kgs) if the vehicle is technically capable of carrying more?

The fact that DVLA corrected it would suggest there's a discrepancy.

Our vehicle is 2017 reg and it has the F.1 (MPM) category on the V5 - I don't have a copy of our previous MH's document so I can't speak for 2005.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Max weight - Payload is NOT Unladen Weight. It's MIRO.

Unladen Weight and Mass In Running Order are two completely different things. As far as I know no motorhome converter anywhere in the world specifies an unladen weight anywhere on any official documentation.

The reason for that is that it would be impossible. There is a specific legal definition of Unladen Weight part of which requires that the vehicle has no fluids - fuel, lubricants, coolants etc - in it. As the converters don't build the base chassis they have no practical way of weighing the completed vehicle with no fluids so they don't even try to.

The only place it will ever be asked for is in this stupid unenforceable loophole in the UK speed limit laws.

Unladen Weight is only used to determine speed limits for motor caravans. No other class of vehicle.

The converters might not but Trafico , Spanish version of dvla except it is part of the police, always used to state the unladen weight as that stated by the chassis manufacturere when it left the factory.:LOL:

It would beaccepted in the UK but abroad if the MPM doesn't show the highest weight ,& you are stopped, then they would go by what was shown , 3500kgs, & you would be classed as overloaded. revenue weight means nothing outside the UK & would not be understood.

OP
OP
Norfolk Nomad

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
The converters might not but Trafico , Spanish version of dvla except it is part of the police, always used to state the unladen weight as that stated by the chassis manufacturere when it left the factory.:LOL:

It would beaccepted in the UK but abroad if the MPM doesn't show the highest weight ,& you are stopped, then they would go by what was shown , 3500kgs, & you would be classed as overloaded. revenue weight means nothing outside the UK & would not be understood.
My current V5C only has the revenue weight as 3500kg, there are no other weights on it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The converters might not but Trafico , Spanish version of dvla except it is part of the police, always used to state the unladen weight as that stated by the chassis manufacturere when it left the factory

I'm sure they do so for pretty much all motorhomes, even the big ones, that would be 1500kg or so.

That'll do me (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back