scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Compromise ..

Often used to describe facilities in a van .. but I think this description is sometimes misused .. let me explain why ...

To function as a Motorhome a van needs :

Cooking and washing up faculties
A bed
Toilet/Shower
Dining table
Lounge

Even the smallest van can have all of these and you shouldn't need to compromise..

Eating, sleeping and lounging may be one space, but each should function without compromise, for example

A pullman dining area may also convert to a double bed ... but if you don't have a U shape lounge or a side settee that is a compromise because it doesn't make a good lounge.. a better arrangement is a U shape lounge that converts to a double bed and a dining area .. all function as they should... It could be argued that it's not convenient but it's not a compromise..

Vans are a bit like Swiss Army knives, a good one works well, a poor one will soon be traded in.. and it's this I believe why it takes most folks several vans before they find one which they like and isn't a compromise..

So, and it's ONLY my opinion, if a van is compromised it's a poor design ..

Is your van compromised or have you a layout and design that works well ?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have one that we love but the compromise is, its slightly too wide and high. We hope an RV bclass will not be a compromise .

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Compromise ..

Often used to describe facilities in a van .. but I think this description is sometimes misused .. let me explain why ...

To function as a Motorhome a van needs :

Cooking and washing up faculties
A bed
Toilet/Shower
Dining table
Lounge

Even the smallest van can have all of these and you shouldn't need to compromise..

Eating, sleeping and lounging may be one space, but each should function without compromise, for example

A pullman dining area may also convert to a double bed ... but if you don't have a U shape lounge or a side settee that is a compromise because it doesn't make a good lounge.. a better arrangement is a U shape lounge that converts to a double bed and a dining area .. all function as they should... It could be argued that it's not convenient but it's not a compromise..

Vans are a bit like Swiss Army knives, a good one works well, a poor one will soon be traded in.. and it's this I believe why it takes most folks several vans before they find one which they like and isn't a compromise..

So, and it's ONLY my opinion, if a van is compromised it's a poor design ..

Is your van compromised or have you a layout and design that works well ?

Jim

Some good points and questions

1st van..... Autoroller 4 ..... 2 x bench seatssuited our needs we thought, soon realised too small for 2 adults + 2 children

2nd van Lunar Champ a630..2 x lounge one was a U lounge.... Then too big as kids only came 3 times and then no more

3rd van Hymer 544L .....we and everyone we knew thought it was the bee's....knee's and we would not change for years..............WRONG.......Jan wanted a fixed bed

4th van Swift Bolero 680FB.....this suits the two of us as it has a nice front lounge area and the fixed bed

So we tried not to compromise by changing the van, this was obviously costly and not the ideal way. It seems though that most of us need 2 or 3 vans to find the right one.

Are we still compromising? Yes....bikes now instead of scooter, less weight to play with for other bits.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim

Some good points and questions

1st van..... Autoroller 4 ..... 2 x bench seatssuited our needs we thought, soon realised too small for 2 adults + 2 children

2nd van Lunar Champ a630..2 x lounge one was a U lounge.... Then too big as kids only came 3 times and then no more

3rd van Hymer 544L .....we and everyone we knew thought it was the bee's....knee's and we would not change for years..............WRONG.......Jan wanted a fixed bed

4th van Swift Bolero 680FB.....this suits the two of us as it has a nice front lounge area and the fixed bed

So we tried not to compromise by changing the van, this was obviously costly and not the ideal way. It seems though that most of us need 2 or 3 vans to find the right one.

Are we still compromising? Yes....bikes now instead of scooter, less weight to play with for other bits.

Hi Steve

there is a difference between a compromised van and one which doesn't suit either your needs or taste ...

for example:

My fist C class had a pullman dinette, which converted into a great bed.. but it was a poor lounge.. and no matter what we tried, it was never comfortable .. IMO it was a compromised van..

Our RV .. more space than you ever need... but, it has no bath .. Jan said that was a compromise.. :Doh:
I said No honey, if you want a bath you buy one with it fitted... so it wasn't a compromise just an inconvenience.

Then she asked for a washing machine... no problem I said , we can fit one by removing a cupboard ... that is a compromise because we lost valuable storage pace.. but gained a washing facility.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Compromise .. Often used to describe facilities in a van .. but I think this description is sometimes misused .. let me explain why ... To function as a Motorhome a van needs : Cooking and washing up faculties A bed
Toilet/Shower
Dining table
Lounge Even the smallest van can have all of these and you shouldn't need to compromise.. Eating, sleeping and lounging may be one space, but each should function without compromise, for example A pullman dining area may also convert to a double bed ... but if you don't have a U shape lounge or a side settee that is a compromise because it doesn't make a good lounge.. a better arrangement is a U shape lounge that converts to a double bed and a dining area .. all function as they should... It could be argued that it's not convenient but it's not a compromise.. Vans are a bit like Swiss Army knives, a good one works well, a poor one will soon be traded in.. and it's this I believe why it takes most folks several vans before they find one which they like and isn't a compromise.. So, and it's ONLY my opinion, if a van is compromised it's a poor design .. Is your van compromised or have you a layout and design that works well ?

Disagree Jim, My van has a number of compromises but works well for me and I wouldn’t change any of them. I don’t have a fixed WC or shower but it does drive like a sports car and fits under height barriers. I don’t have a cocktail cabinet, bone china or silver service but it does return 40mpg.
I have to compromise all sorts of things when camping but it’s worth it because it’s a delight to drive I can park without hassle, ferries are cheap, I can pick the kids up from school and fit in multi story car parks. I’ll stick with all my compromises thanks. :thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Disagree Jim, My van has a number of compromises but works well for me and I wouldn’t change any of them.

I’ll stick with all my compromises thanks. :thumb:

Absolutely ...

and you agree with my definition of compromise ..

This isn't a post knocking small vans without certain facilities, far from it, it's about how people use the word 'compromise'

You have bought as you need and are happy with it.. and understand what a compromise is.. :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No Compromise
Damon Challenger
You know it makes sense Jim:RollEyes:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim no compromises in our van :thumb: just made it to what we wanted at the time :ROFLMAO:
We also got what we wanted / needed in what suits our needs still ! (after 3 years )The only things I may change when I do another is instead of a full size cooker I may put a drawer in the bottom instead of crawling on the floor to get at the tins,pans etc that are stuffed under it ( is that a compromise ?) and if I could I would lift the fridge off the floor but that would mean loosing some worktop space-- now that could be a compromise - but looking at most vans I could afford to loose the w/t space and still have more usable w/t than many vans out there :ROFLMAO::thumb: Still it suits us so I will carry on running her as with the self build I have opted out of the new van / keeping up with the Joneses :ROFLMAO:
terry

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Did a lot of research before we bought our van, found the layout that suited us and then went abroad to get one at a price that we could afford. Only had the one van and the only thing we could have done different would have been, to maybe get the one that was a meter longer, although a lot of the time you pay by length for ferry tickets.

If there was a compromise, it was based on price.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim no compromises in our van :thumb: just made it to what we wanted at the time

terry

That is the benefit of a home built Terry, but there are many who don't get it as good as yours .. :thumb:

some I have seen are little more than one big rolling compromise.. and that's being polite :roflmto:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Compromise or Trade-off?

Well Jim, your recent posts seem to be taking on a rather philosophical bent. First we have 'what makes a good forum' and now a treatise on the semantics of 'compromise'.

I think your 'thought for today' makes a good point, and I had not really considered the way in which we use the word 'compromise', so let's start with a definition. In the context of your post, at least one dictionary states the following:
Compromise "The acceptance of standards that are lower than is desirable".
Against this standard, I agree that a motorhome layout either does, or does not function effectively, and in the latter case, its layout is compromised.

I think the key word in the definition is 'desirable' and we all find different things more or less desirable. What we are really dealing with is the issue of 'trade-off' which is the achievement of a balance between incompatible, but desirable features. And that is why one sees such strongly-held, but divergent opinions expressed when a 'newbie' asks "what are the most important things we should be looking for in choosing a motorhome?"

For our part, the following are not necessary and therefore not desirable: a U-shaped lounge; a built-in oven; large sofas; 2 rear belted seats.
But the following are desirable because they suit our leisure life-style: fixed double bed; garage storage space; spacious cab front with swivel seats; practical shower room.
So the layout of our B630 Starline (A-class, rear transverse bed over garage, small mid L-shaped lounge, effective swing-wall shower room) is absolutely NOT compromised in our view.

Certainly there was a trade-off in choosing this van. It would have been nice to have the slightly larger lounge area and bigger shower room of the B680, but that would have meant a longer, heavier van (and we could neither find nor afford one at the time).

I guess the most important point of this thread is that any newcomer to motorhomes reading it at some future time, will see the importance of thinking very carefully about what they really need to suit their lifestyle, before signing on the dotted line for a new van. Some need to prioritise indoor lounging area, others are outdoor types; some need a lot of storage, others travel light; some only use sites with full washing facilities etc., others use aires and wild-camp; and so it goes on.

Philip

p.s. if anyone is looking for a Hymer B680 Starline, there is a cracker at Edgehill Motorhomes right now (2005 model I think).

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
No compromise required here the doc has it all.::bigsmile:riving2::ROFLMAO:

Link Removed

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
compromise

you know what they say :-one mans compromise is another mans headache!

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well Jim, your recent posts seem to be taking on a rather philosophical bent. First we have 'what makes a good forum' and now a treatise on the semantics of 'compromise'.

Good post Philip , well thought out as always .. and if the thread prevents someone making an expensive mistake it's worth while ..

but you're correct, I need to get out in the van more... too much time on my hands is making me thoughtful ... dangerous ground .. :roflmto:

must go.. Jan is chaffing at the bit to go and spend money :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back