Next generation Netbook in John Lewis (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The long awaited next generation netbook has arrived in J Lewis. Has anyone got one yet?
I'm going to hang on another month for the N470 with 2gb ram to arrive but I played with the N450 in JL this week it is streets ahead of the previous N270 chipset.:thumb:
Link Removed

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Samsung another netbook on the new "Pine Trail" platform just announced.

Link Removed

johngee

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since July 2009
The long awaited next generation netbook has arrived in J Lewis. Has anyone got one yet?
I'm going to hang on another month for the N470 with 2gb ram to arrive but I played with the N450 in JL this week it is streets ahead of the previous N270 chipset.:thumb:
Link Removed

I'm trying to work out what is 'next generation' about it.....................

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
My Asus eeepc 1005ha has similar spec but with the Atom N270 which also runs at 1.66Ghz. Is the N470 faster in some way? I don't really understand if Ghz is a true measure of processing power or if some other factors are involved. I was also told that Windows 7 used substantially more Amp hrs than XP which I run. Is this true?
BTW, I get 8 hrs battery life (advertised as ten) and am very pleased with it.

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
These are not 'next generation' - The new netbooks feature Windows 7 and Nvidia's ION graphics card with onboard Atom. So far we have ;

Samsung N510 - Solid performer, good battery life
HP Compaq Mini 311c - Probably the best all rounder but looks a bit dour
EEE PC 1201n - Dual core Atom, three hours battery life at best

There are a few more just hitting the shops now - If you want to wait a while then ION 2 is just round the corner (honest:winky:)

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

What do you think of these, seem a little expensive to me, welcome any comments

Link Removed

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
These are not 'next generation' - The new netbooks feature Windows 7 and Nvidia's ION graphics card with onboard Atom. So far we have ;
Samsung N510 - Solid performer, good battery life
HP Compaq Mini 311c - Probably the best all rounder but looks a bit dour
EEE PC 1201n - Dual core Atom, three hours battery life at best
There are a few more just hitting the shops now - If you want to wait a while then ION 2 is just round the corner (honest:winky:)

Are we talking about the same beast Autoquest, I have a laptop with a decent graphic card. I want a netbook for battery life and portability. Restriction are imposed to limit what we can get on our netbook. Makes business sense. Would be nice though one small unit for <£400 that does it all.
This link is the next generation that I was referring to. The N450 followed by the N470.:thumb:

http://venturebeat.com/2009/12/20/i...m-processor-will-make-netbooks-more-powerful/

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'm trying to work out what is 'next generation' about it.....................

Intel Atom processor N270 and N280 are being discontinued in favour of the more compact N450 and N470 these will gain a number of benefits over the previous generation processors. Higher clock speed, lower power consumption, thinner netbooks the N470 can also utilise 2GB Ram, then of course (lower manufacturing costs:whistle: ).

This could be a good time to pass your obsolete N270 on to the grandchildren and have a look at the next generation netbooks.:active:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi,

What do you think of these, seem a little expensive to me, welcome any comments

Link Removed

:winky: As you say expensive for what it is. :Eeek:

BTW. Bought Sandy an Acer Inspire One last Summer for her birthday. Suffered the Black Screen of Death in January. Tried all the recommended fixes with no joy. Have to use it with an add-on TV as a Monitor.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I have noticed recently that there appears to be quiet a lot of very slim and quiet small laptops/notebooks coming onto the market, how long before these merge into one with netbooks ?,

I'm sure this has been asked before but what is the real differences and benefits between a laptop/notebook and a net-book,

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I guess my Dell was obsolete by the time I got to the checkout!

[FONT=&quot]The shops are still selling the end of line stock without a word about the new model in their stock room. They use every trick in the book to keep it under wraps until all the old stock has gone at the highest price possible. It’s the same with cars. Like the secret service.
[/FONT]

Hi, I have noticed recently that there appears to be quiet a lot of very slim and quiet small laptops/notebooks coming onto the market, how long before these merge into one with netbooks ?,
I'm sure this has been asked before but what is the real differences and benefits between a laptop/notebook and a net-book,
[FONT=&quot]It’s a market created by the manufactures they want to sell you as many units as possible with the biggest return. Netbooks have restrictions on Ram graphic cards and many other bits that you can get on a more expensive notebook. On the plus side, do you really want to carry an expensive notebook around with all that valuable dater on it? Your netbook with office installed can cover all your mobile requirements without the risk. :thumb:[/FONT]

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Buttons

Thanks for the reply the reason I asked is that while I can understand your comments I do think the way they are going, the prices seem to be getting a lot closer together as does the size of storage capacities and the ram, that soon people will be storing all of the same items on either machine as neither will have any real limited capacity and the risk in terms of cost or private information will be just a vulnerable.

I have long since started to keep my private information on a separate DVD or Memory stick for the very pertinent reasons you mention

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]. On the plus side, do you really want to carry an expensive notebook around with all that valuable dater on it? Your netbook with office installed can cover all your mobile requirements without the risk. :thumb:[/FONT]

johngee

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since July 2009
I have long since started to keep my private information on a separate DVD or Memory stick for the very pertinent reasons you mention

Good idea. Instead of having multiple copies on different machines, I use a USB external harddrive with all my music, videos, files etc on it. 500GB for £50ish.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back