stephen wormald

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
Coach built C
Exp
:ROFLMAO:I would like to use a laptop in my motorhome but have no idea how to set it up, at the moment i have talktalk through a phone line. My computer has no wireless set up. Could anyone give me the information I require.

Would I have to change my provider and would a dongle work. I would like my laptop to work in England and abroad.

Hears hoping someone can help

Steve

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Stephen..

Dongles work...albeit guite slow data transfer rate...

You don't say whether you are on sites with wi-fi.

I'm sure there'll be someone along soon with sound advice.

OP
OP
stephen wormald

stephen wormald

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
Coach built C
Exp
Hi Stephen..

Dongles work...albeit guite slow data transfer rate...

You don't say whether you are on sites with wi-fi.

I'm sure there'll be someone along soon with sound advice.

We have just come back from Portugal we found parks and libuarys all had wifi also some of the hotels but I have never used them and are a bit of a dinasore when it comes to computers.

All the best

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We have just come back from Portugal we found parks and libuarys all had wifi also some of the hotels but I have never used them and are a bit of a dinasore when it comes to computers.

All the best

Tell us more about the laptop?

You say it doesn't have wi-fi built in.

It might be an option to get a wi-fi dongle.:thumb:

Only useable on site and outside wi-fi hotspots though like MacDonalds etc.

Away from wi-fi sites I guess a dongle might be the only option unless you can patch the mobile into the lappy.

Link Removed

OP
OP
stephen wormald

stephen wormald

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
Coach built C
Exp
Tell us more about the laptop?

You say it doesn't have wi-fi built in.

It might be an option to get a wi-fi dongle.:thumb:

Only useable on site and outside wi-fi hotspots though like MacDonalds etc.

Away from wi-fi sites I guess a dongle might be the only option unless you can patch the mobile into the lappy.

Information on laptop
Microsoft windows xp
version 2002
service pack 3

If this means anything to you you are a better man than me

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
This is a big question, Stephen!
You have three basic options:
1. Using a mobile phone as a modem. This way you connect your mobile phone to the laptop and you can use it like a dial-up modem on a landline. You would need to have a data-enabled service from your SIM-card supplier (Vodaphone etc)
2. Use a "dongle" which is a small device that plugs into the USB port on your laptop and has a SIM card in it. This is using the GPRS service from one of the suppliers (Vodaphone etc). Some basic info here: Link Removed
3. Get a WiFi adaptor for your laptop. Again a small device that goes in a USB port. This only works if you are within range of a WiFi hotspot. Some are free like McDonalds and some charge like the Caravan Club sites. If you go this route, make sure you get a Wireless-n card as these will give you much greater range. Also, take the benefit of not having a built in one and get a long USB extension. This means you can put the adaptor outside the van (through a hecki) and get better signals.

If you go abroad, do not be tempted to use your UK SIM card. It will cost a lot of money very easily. Get one in the country you are visiting.

There is a constant barrage of "offers" from the mobile phone companies. Be very careful to read exactly what they are offering - they are a sneaky bunch!

Of the three options, the WiFi is the cheapest but not if you need to be able to use the net wherever you are. There is a not very accurate list of WiFi hotspots on Link Removed

Hope that doesn't add to your confusion...:RollEyes:
Patrick

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Dongle would be your easiest choice - do shop around and ask lots of questions! Some dongles are more expensive than others, some have greater capacity per pound, others need topping every month, whereas some are every 3! Bit of a minefeild.

We have an 02 one which we can leave for months without topping, and if you need to, can keep it 'live' with a £2 top up rather than a full £15 monthly fee. Reception isn't too bad, but some remote areas can be sloooow! You do get free unlimited access in hotspots though!

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
We bought a Vodaphone dongle last year for £25 and it came with free £15 credit and this lasted quite a long time until Emily downloaded some films that is. Put another £15 credit on but we only use the dongle if on site anywhere that we cant access their network.

Dale

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back