total novices (1 Viewer)

pasturesnew

Free Member
Feb 21, 2010
Funster No
HI , we are totally new to motorhoming having been avid boaters for 7 years! We currently are selling our boat :Blush:and are on the look out for a motorhome. :Eeek: as we feel the need to see more of the world!!::bigsmile:was wondering if anyone has any views on the best way to purchase ... privately or dealerships? any reputable dealers who are worth trying
any motorhomes that have a good name or bad ... any advice will be greatly received. (we have between 30 -32K once boat is sold) ideally one with at least 4 seatbelts as will have passengers on occasions. Have been looking on line and visited a few dealers in our area so have some idea of the layout we need.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
flyingwelcome
Welcome to the forum :Smile:
As a relative neewbie myself, I wouldn't presume to advise on a make or layout of the Motorhome, as this comes down to personal needs & requirements.
It's nearly time for the Newark show (End of March) & this will be attended by loads of "Funsters" who would be able to give you practical advise :Smile:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Have a look at my post on "Wants Needs and Must Haves" today!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Snap! I have been into boats all my life as well as camper vans and camping. I had a four berth cruiser on Ullswater and in the Winter on Windermere for years. Mrs D never bothered with it though so we bought our first Motorhome in 2008 in order to do some travelling together. Best thing we ever did.

We bought private and saved quite a bit but your budget is £10 more than ours and you do have to be careful. We looked at loads before deciding on the layout we wanted and finally the actual van we wanted (A Kontiki). I would take your time and be prepared to do some travelling and lots of looking.

If you want the best of both worlds why dont you buy this to go with your van?

Link Removed

Sorry couldnt resist!

Good luck
Barry

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
HI , we are totally new to motorhoming having been avid boaters for 7 years! We currently are selling our boat :Blush:and are on the look out for a motorhome. :Eeek: as we feel the need to see more of the world!!::bigsmile:was wondering if anyone has any views on the best way to purchase ... privately or dealerships? any reputable dealers who are worth trying
any motorhomes that have a good name or bad ... any advice will be greatly received. (we have between 30 -32K once boat is sold) ideally one with at least 4 seatbelts as will have passengers on occasions. Have been looking on line and visited a few dealers in our area so have some idea of the layout we need.

Hi and welcome to Fun, you dont say where you are so difficult to advise.

Peter

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi there and welcome to the friendly forum.

The Boat & Caravan show starts on Tuesday (23rd) - Sunday (28th) at the NEC.

Maybe worth a visit as there will be a wide selection of Motor Caravans on display and you should get some ideas and information about dealers along with loads of ancillary items for sale.

KenandSue

Free Member
Feb 20, 2010
West London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Less than 1
Hi and welcome,

We are also very new to this site, and to motorhoming. The only advice I would give is to look at as many units as you can. We did exactly that, although as storage was a big issue for us, we only looked at units for sale at our dealer/storage place. We very quickly realised what we wanted and liked in a motorhome, and also what we didn't. When you see the layout that is right for you, you will know it instantly - it will feel like 'home'

Good luck and happy hunting!!

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Hi and welcome. As others say take your time to look at as many models as you can. We had in mind what we thought we needed and ended up buying a motorhome with a completely different layout, and bigger, as we didnt want to end up trading in months later after finding we had gone too small.

With a Motorhome you have the freedom to go where you want, when you want. We sold our Motor cruiser as we found it never got used to go on the Broads, too many holiday makers, and was moored up at the Yacht Club and used only at weekends. The Motorhome is used most weekends, this time towing boats, as we are away at various events at sailing clubs around the country, well worth the purchase.

Good luck in selling your boat and in your search for a Motorhome.

Dale

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
welcome to forum, iam a complete novice too, started looking for a van since last march , been reading this forum and a couple of others Wildcamping and motorhomefact(very rarely now ) eventually decided the layout make of MH we wanted and concentrated looking on that only, Opened up a motorhome file under favourite and saved any MH dearler site MH selling sites, auctions sites I came across in it and e-bay I then looked into these sites and looked for the make of model and layout MH every few days somtimes everyday
By late summer last year I had a feel of what price the types of van was selling for. Decided not to buy from dealer because I can get a later model van for my budget, Dealer quite rightly needs a margin to stay in business.
I have actually, picked up my 1st MH this morning from a private seller, Nerve wracking driving it home, Real learning starts to day as I do have any idea how anything works. Fun/misery only the future can tell. Wish you the best in searching yours.

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010

Did the same as you last year sold by boat (rubbish weather for two years on the trot did my head in).I’ve now bought my first motorhome and so far I think I got it more or less right.
I visited a few shows and spent two days going around every motorhome sales pitch in the North West and Midlands before eventually buying privately from a very nice and helpful couple.
My tip is to do the research and ask as many stupid questions as you can when your going round,try the beds and think of storage difficulties. Be willing to compromise a bit since I don’t think the perfect layout exists.
Good luck and good hunting

ps - it really isn’t that difficult to get into the swing of this motorhoming business and lots of good people on here are happy to help out with advice, the one thing it is though is FUN

davaud

Free Member
Mar 20, 2008
cheshire
Funster No
MH
1992 coachbuilt
Exp
3 years motorhoming 18 years caraving
buying motorhome

hi and welcome to the site thats a lot of money to spend to find its not quite right and you wished you gone with the other one you saw well you could consider hiring one for a short time might give you a better idea of what you really want good hunting anyway

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
They say that one of the happiest days of your life is when you buy a boat, and another one is when you sell it :RollEyes:

We had one too, but the weather was never right, and if it was, the tide in the Solent wasn't!

At least with a Motorhome, you can head off whenever you want ::bigsmile:

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
wellcome

a big wellcome from froghopper, hope you get the fun and help i have, dealers ? of course theres our John, but if you live near portsmouth, give Danny And his son Daniel a call at P & P campers, Gosport, on web, honest, trusted and fair, been going some 30 years, at most shows, have known them about 12 years, bought 2, 4 friends very happy with what they got,, no relation, no connections, just nice people,, cheers, Barry:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back