Bessacarr E560 /Ducato X250 Spare wheel carrier (1 Viewer)

kinsleyboy

Free Member
Dec 11, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
Oct 09
Thanks to answers to my previous post about Fiat Fix & Go system for tyre problems, I've decided I need an underslung spare wheel carrier & wheel for my Ducato X250 (2008 registration). The wheel size is 6Jx15 --H2 according to the Fiat handbook.
Other than the obvious possible source being Fiat themselves, does anybody know if Swift could supply me or anyone else for that matter?.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,
Late coming to your post, I always understood that all E560's had the spare fitted as standard.
Reckon if yours' has not been fitted something is very wrong.
Would not relish having to remove and change wheel, but at the end of the day reckon it is the best option - don't mention checking the pressure on the spare.

OP
OP
kinsleyboy

kinsleyboy

Free Member
Dec 11, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
Oct 09
Hi,
Late coming to your post, I always understood that all E560's had the spare fitted as standard.
Reckon if yours' has not been fitted something is very wrong.
Would not relish having to remove and change wheel, but at the end of the day reckon it is the best option - don't mention checking the pressure on the spare.
Thanks, my handbook isn't specific about what "spare" I should have but the vehicle was supplied to me with a Fix & Go kit which is shown in the handbook.
I'll certainly check with Swift because their latest model is supplied with a spare wheel according to their website.:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Thanks, my handbook isn't specific about what "spare" I should have but the vehicle was supplied to me with a Fix & Go kit which is shown in the handbook.
I'll certainly check with Swift because their latest model is supplied with a spare wheel according to their website.:Angry:

Yes, reckon a telephone call is worth the effort.
I am on my second 560 and both my previous ( an early 2007 ) and my current have spares as standard.
Good Luck.:Smile:

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi Kinsleyboy,

Over the last few seasons, we did fit both spare wheels but also "Fix N Go" kits. It is possible to retrofit the spare wheel and carrier, and if you can drop me a PM with your chassis number, I can confirm the specification of your MH and also the parts required to fit the carrier and wheel.

Thanks,

Ash

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cant help with the wheel but if your bessie is on an Alko chassis then a purpose made (Alko) cradle is best.
no holes to drill in the chassis so no guarantee problems later.

never drill holes in an Alko chassis.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Apology to Ash

Sorry Ash, was not aware of the situation regarding intermittent fitting of spare wheel carriers.
Just shows that old adage " A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" can be quite true.
:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Other than the obvious possible source being Fiat themselves, does anybody know if Swift could supply me or anyone else for that matter?.

Our spare is horrendous for access. Need to jack a rear wheel a bit to clear the carrier cage and all this at full stretch under the vehicle.

Whilst you have the options look at how difficult it will be to get access on your van and can there be A Better Way.

Perhaps like the 4x4 style on the back.

OP
OP
kinsleyboy

kinsleyboy

Free Member
Dec 11, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
Oct 09
Yes, reckon a telephone call is worth the effort.
I am on my second 560 and both my previous ( an early 2007 ) and my current have spares as standard.
Good Luck.:Smile:
In view of Brian's comments regarding access to carrier etc, what would you say about yours on your E560?
Thanks,
Martin

OP
OP
kinsleyboy

kinsleyboy

Free Member
Dec 11, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
Oct 09
Hi Kinsleyboy,

Over the last few seasons, we did fit both spare wheels but also "Fix N Go" kits. It is possible to retrofit the spare wheel and carrier, and if you can drop me a PM with your chassis number, I can confirm the specification of your MH and also the parts required to fit the carrier and wheel.

Thanks,

Ash
Thanks Ash,
I've just sent you a PM (I think?)

Martin:Smile:

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
In view of Brian's comments regarding access to carrier etc, what would you say about yours on your E560?
Thanks,
Martin

Hi Martin,
Not a great problem for removal, have removed it just as an exercise to see what it was all about and it went pretty smoothly.
Reckon that even with a puncture there is still adequate room to haul it out.
Nice to know it's there but fingers crossed I never need it.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Martin,
Should have asked, I take it your handbook shows the procedure for spare removal ?
If not let me know and I will post the instructions. :thumb:

OP
OP
kinsleyboy

kinsleyboy

Free Member
Dec 11, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
Oct 09
Martin,
Should have asked, I take it your handbook shows the procedure for spare removal ?
If not let me know and I will post the instructions. :thumb:
Hi AuldCodger,
My Bessacarr handbook shows "Removal of Spare Wheel on Alko Conversion" on Page 24 which involves removing securing pins from the supports at each side of the spare wheel carrier frame.
Is this like yours?
Swift are going to give me a list of the Fiat parts for me to order so they have been very helpful (as usual).
Do you use the Fiat jack that came with the vehicle or have you got a bottle jack (or other) for jacking up the M/H?

Thanks again,
Martin:thumb:

GeoffM

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
two
Bessacarr E560 / Ducato Spare wheel

Hi there!
My first attempt at a reply to a thread since joining yesterday, 19th Feb.
I too have E560 that came with only the inflation kit, so I managed to aquire a spare wheel and virtually new tyre (£50). With minor carpentry work of about 1/2hr to the locker behind the driver it fits beautifully and is now covered with a drop-in plywood shelf. Keeps the weight forward, no risk in getting under the vehicle to release cradle, clean and dry.
Geoff:thumb:

OP
OP
kinsleyboy

kinsleyboy

Free Member
Dec 11, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
Oct 09
Although Swift gave me a parts list, Fiat were unable to identify the main item (i.e. the carrier!) in spite of many emails & phone calls on my part.
In the end I've got a wheel & tyre and opted to store them under the bed (the m/h one ...not the home one).
If I run out of storage as a result I'll just have to get a box mounted on the bike rack I suppose!.:Cool:

Thanks to all those who tried to help by posting useful info.:thumb::thumb:

Wadems

Free Member
Mar 16, 2010
UK
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
Hi there!
My first attempt at a reply to a thread since joining yesterday, 19th Feb.
I too have E560 that came with only the inflation kit, so I managed to aquire a spare wheel and virtually new tyre (£50). With minor carpentry work of about 1/2hr to the locker behind the driver it fits beautifully and is now covered with a drop-in plywood shelf. Keeps the weight forward, no risk in getting under the vehicle to release cradle, clean and dry.
Geoff:thumb:
Geoff,
Which locker behind driver? Under bench seat?
Cheers,
Wadems

GeoffM

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
two
Wadems,
Sorry for not getting back sooner.
Yes the spare wheel with tyre is now comfortably sited behind the driver in the base of the berth: Having reduced the dimension of the front panel stiffener by about 20mm,
I added just a couple of corner jointers to reinforce it, like you would get with self assembly furniture, then cut a ply panel to drop onto the wheel and hey presto!

Geoff

blackie

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
N IRELAND
Funster No
MH
C/CLASS
Exp
10 YEARS
Spare wheel carrier e560

Got puncture.you wind down spare wheel from side off m/home.when it reaches ground you have to climb under to release wheel.then you wind it up again.my problem is it only goes up half way.am told i need a new one. Blackie

keithfal

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
Worcester area
Funster No
MH
C class Ducato LP
Exp
36 months
Thanks to answers to my previous post about Fiat Fix & Go system for tyre problems, I've decided I need an underslung spare wheel carrier & wheel for my Ducato X250 (2008 registration). The wheel size is 6Jx15 --H2 according to the Fiat handbook.

Hi, My 2007 Bessie E520 has an underslung carrier and spare wheel which I assume was fitted by Swift - try the customer service department at Swift on 01482875740 for info, who were helpful over a battery charger issue. Keithfal

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back