Brand new MH with 'crappy' gearbox. (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We left Yorkshire on Thursday morning for our first trip in the new MH. The first 2 miles was a kangaroo ride then it cleared, so we carried on. The vehicle seems underpowered with a very strange gear change. Friday morning, leaving Buchy we had the same problem. The dealers telephoned me about a problem with the heater. I told them about the Fiat and they said that I must remember that the vehicle was heavier than our last one and I should expect a difference! They suggested I should run in automatic mode. I did as suggested and a learner driver could do smoother gear changes than the autobox.
Our last comformatic box was great. We have changed from a three litre to a 2.3 but the same Bhp. The vehicle has little loaded weight so is probably lighter than the previous MH.
I will telephone Fiat Assist, but wonder if anyone has any ideas.
I have a bad internet connection so apologise in advance if my replies are slow.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Only a day or so ago someone on here, with a very low mileage, had a blown up clutch, looks like you are heading that way.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Automatic mode? So is it an auto gearbox? Why wouldn't you always run it in auto mode? Is it a brand new van, what's the mileage?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Probably just a software issue.

"Just"!

You can cause more mischief with software than any number of gears and levers.

I have heard about the new Honda Africa Twin with auto box do a beauty. Set off normally, clutch drops out, revs peak and the clutch drops back in. Exciting to say the least.

At lease a MH can't wheelie.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You need to get Fiat to sort that under warranty straight away, call Fiat camper as all new Fiat campers are covered.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I usually use the manual/ clutchless box rather than auto but I did try the Auto. The MH had 40 miles on the clock when we left home, it has 740 on it now.
Thanks all, I will ring Fiat and hope that my French is good enough when it gets to a dealer.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think you may just add confusion if you say you are using it in manual mode. If it is behaving like a kangaroo in auto then something isn't right so that's what I suggest you report. The problem may be nothing to do with the gearbox but an ECU fault for example.

But if it is a new MH take it back. That is all Fiat will tell you to do if it hasn't broken down.

Edit: Just reread your OP. You are a long way from where you bought it. There may be a lesson there. But best wishes for getting it sorted.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Fiat Assist arranged for a mechanic to come out and plug it in to find faults. A Renault breakdown truck arrived, no mechanic and a truck too small to take it away. He was going to take it to the local garage and wait for Fiat to take it off somewhere. I eventually contacted Fiat Assist again, they sent the Renault man away and will arrange something else tomorrow. As for taking it back from where it came, I am sure that the Cathago dealer would tell us to take it to a Fiat dealer,which is what we are doing, but with a slight translation problem.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Sure glad I have a 7G box, or am I just tempting fate as soon as the warranty runs out.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Our previous van, which was a standard 2.3lt 130hp Fiat Ducato with manual gearbox, had a dreadful clutch when brand new. There was no way I could pull away from a standstill smoothly, however much I tried. It was 2010, a year or two after all the brouha concerning 'juddergate', when vans were reversed. Mine was perfectly smooth in reverse, just awful going forwards!!

I was getting close to returning to the dealer when I noticed it had improved somewhat.

And by the time there was 1,500 miles on the clock it was perfectly smooth, and that was the way it remained for the next 30,000 miles of our ownership. In fact, it turned out to be an excellent gearbox and clutch which I was very attached to. Could inch forward or backwards without a murmur, whilst it pulled away smooth as silk.

Suspect the original problem was a sticky clutch, that just needed to be used to bed it in.

Whatever, the issue with yours, hope you get it sorted without too much inconvenience and grief.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We actually damaged a road wheel on our van - a Pilote on a Fiat - whilst in France. The tyre looked OK and stayed up once Pete had managed to get a bit of the dent out of the rim and pumped it back up, but this was just a week or two into a couple of months holiday. So we tentatively limped over the bridge onto the aire at St Cirque Lapopie.

Had the bright idea of looking to see where the nearest 'Fiat Assist' recommended garage was - about 30km away. So off we went next day - huge Fiat dealerships, cars and commercials with about 6 bays in the workshop.

They summoned someone who spoke English who at first thought it was a warranty claim but we soon disabused him of that, cos it wasn't. They hadn't got one but their other branch (another 30/40km away) had so could we come back the day after tomorrow? Yes.

Then he got concerned again and asked what we would do should the tyre also be damaged when they removed it from the rim? We said No prob - and waved a selection of plastic cards at him with a grin.

So he ordered it and we returned 2 days later and the did it. Tyre wasn't damaged but anyway we'd seen they had racks of various Ducato tyres in the workshop anyway.

There's SURELY got to be a Fiat Commercial main dealer not ALL that far from where you are? Rouen is less than 30km !

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I think I may also have an issue with my comfortmatic gearbox as well, it's a 2.3 150bhp, we've done 1100 miles now, very juddery and hesitant around 3rd gear when it's cold or an hour after a long run it's very hesitant, tomorrow I need to book it in with the local fiat dealer, it was fine for the first 500 miles.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Thanks all.
If it was just bad gear changing we would put up with it until we got back home, it is the danger of causing an accident until it gets a few miles under its belt each morning.
We are waiting for Fiat Assist to ring this morning. They have offered to have the MH recovered to a dealership or for us to drive it. It will depend where it is going to. The nearest dealership is at least 50 miles away and we have the dog with us. If we thought it would be worked on straight away we would chance driving it and leaving the dog here ( in the house) , but past experiences tell us that we could wait all day and a large frightened German Shepherd would not be appreciated in a garage waiting room. He loves people, but is very frightened of roads and traffic.
It will no doubt be sorted and at least we are not stuck at the side of the road, and it's not raining (yet).

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Update.
Fiat rang yesterday to tell us that the garage were busy working on the MH. Considering that I have just slept in it, they have been very quiet!!!
Just had another call with an apology, as far as Fiat Assist were concerned it had been collected and taken away. It seems that they have not yet found anyone who will work on it. We suggested that someone could come out to put a diagnostic machine on it, but they (French) do not do that. We are now waiting for another call to find out what is going to happen.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
We actually damaged a road wheel on our van - a Pilote on a Fiat - whilst in France. The tyre looked OK and stayed up once Pete had managed to get a bit of the dent out of the rim and pumped it back up, but this was just a week or two into a couple of months holiday. So we tentatively limped over the bridge onto the aire at St Cirque Lapopie.

Had the bright idea of looking to see where the nearest 'Fiat Assist' recommended garage was - about 30km away. So off we went next day - huge Fiat dealerships, cars and commercials with about 6 bays in the workshop.

They summoned someone who spoke English who at first thought it was a warranty claim but we soon disabused him of that, cos it wasn't. They hadn't got one but their other branch (another 30/40km away) had so could we come back the day after tomorrow? Yes.

Then he got concerned again and asked what we would do should the tyre also be damaged when they removed it from the rim? We said No prob - and waved a selection of plastic cards at him with a grin.

So he ordered it and we returned 2 days later and the did it. Tyre wasn't damaged but anyway we'd seen they had racks of various Ducato tyres in the workshop anyway.

There's SURELY got to be a Fiat Commercial main dealer not ALL that far from where you are? Rouen is less than 30km !
So there you go ladies and gentlemen, 3 days (is that correct ? no mention of a spare?) off the road for not carrying a complete spare tyre?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I think you may just add confusion if you say you are using it in manual mode. If it is behaving like a kangaroo in auto then something isn't right so that's what I suggest you report. The problem may be nothing to do with the gearbox but an ECU fault for example.

But if it is a new MH take it back. That is all Fiat will tell you to do if it hasn't broken down.

Edit: Just reread your OP. You are a long way from where you bought it. There may be a lesson there. But best wishes for getting it sorted.
Yes a shakedown trip to France is probably not the best plan, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Hope the OP gets this sorted. I found the new manual clutch on my FIAT to be an unforgiving beast at the start, but it's better now. My similar new Pugeot clutch was much better from new.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
So there you go ladies and gentlemen, 3 days (is that correct ? no mention of a spare?) off the road for not carrying a complete spare tyre?

1. We were about 2/300 yds away from the aire when it happened and were going there anyway, intending to stay a couple of days - so it made no difference whatsoever to us in terms of 'holiday'. It was scorchio and a bank holiday weekend anyway - so the 'beach' on the river was brill.

2. It is the first time ever, since passing his test when he was 17, that Pete has accidentally driven a road wheel on any vehicle he's ever driven, into a block of granite embedded in the ground on wasteground, cunningly concealed by the green weeds on it.

3. I've never ever heard of any of YOU lot doing this. Is it common practice?

If that's enough for other folk to panic, invest £100s in a spare road wheel and tyre, taking up a huge amount of space in their moho garage not to mention the loss of payload - well hell - an artic could write you off when you're anywhere on any road anywhere in the world.

However - it's not enough for us !

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
1. We were about 2/300 yds away from the aire when it happened and were going there anyway, intending to stay a couple of days - so it made no difference whatsoever to us in terms of 'holiday'. It was scorchio and a bank holiday weekend anyway - so the 'beach' on the river was brill.

2. It is the first time ever, since passing his test when he was 17, that Pete has accidentally driven a road wheel on any vehicle he's ever driven, into a block of granite embedded in the ground on wasteground, cunningly concealed by the green weeds on it.

3. I've never ever heard of any of YOU lot doing this. Is it common practice?

If that's enough for other folk to panic, invest £100s in a spare road wheel and tyre, taking up a huge amount of space in their moho garage not to mention the loss of payload - well hell - an artic could write you off when you're anywhere on any road anywhere in the world.

However - it's not enough for us !

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I wasn't criticising anyone's driving ability this could easily happen anytime (y) But my point is 3 days off the road (that could be half a holiday) and in this case carrying a tyre only without the hub would have been useless. Well yes.... carrying a spare may mean having to leave the huge gas barbecue complex at home and if you can spare 3 days to sort out a spare that's fine :(
And Yes it could be NK vs USA in a nuclear war next week but I still think having a spare would ease the route to Armageddon ;)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Several years ago when tugging, I hit a sticky out rock on a narrow Cornish road, it split open the tyre's sidewall, totally destroying it. Tyre spot in Newquay wanted £123 for a replacement Pirelli tyre that I'd paid £55 for two months earlier back home, so not only do you have the inconvenience of getting a replacement, you might also get your pants taken down by the supplier ! Thank goodness for the spare.
Also, if you're gonna use a gas bbq, you may as well cook over the burning remains of your burst tyre anyway. :LOL:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've had 5 punctures since 1964 ................ 2 of which were spotted as soft before leaving home.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
They sent a 2nd breakdown truck yesterday, a bit longer that the first one. When he set off it looked perilous. Fiat told us it was going to a main dealer, the driver said it was going to a body shop near Angouleme. Hopefully the body shop belongs to the Fiat dealer. Fiat have just telephoned to tell us that they cannot find out what has happened to it, as no one is replying to emails. He also said that they are having a spate of gearbox problems on new Fiats.
At least we have just gone through the system of rejecting a new Volvo that broke down twice in France so we know the procedure, I do hope it does not come to that and it just needs a little tweak.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
They sent a 2nd breakdown truck yesterday, a bit longer that the first one. When he set off it looked perilous. Fiat told us it was going to a main dealer, the driver said it was going to a body shop near Angouleme. Hopefully the body shop belongs to the Fiat dealer. Fiat have just telephoned to tell us that they cannot find out what has happened to it, as no one is replying to emails. He also said that they are having a spate of gearbox problems on new Fiats.
At least we have just gone through the system of rejecting a new Volvo that broke down twice in France so we know the procedure, I do hope it does not come to that and it just needs a little tweak.
I hope they find it soon and you are on your way :Eeek::doh:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Whilst it is known that "robotised" gear boxes have to "learn" the driving habits of the owner. I would think that it would be in the 10`s or hundreds of miles, Not in excess of a 1000?.

I am (still) a juddergate sufferer, even after the gearbox was rebuilt. allegedly the Reverse gear is really too high?. "Slipping" the clutch, something I hate doing, helps. I think It`s way past time Fiat got a grip?. But it is a fact that they have the Motorhome Base pretty well sewn up?. I am favouring a Merc next.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Anyone got an Exhaust problem? You might like to mention is since the Gearbox Thread that started appears to have gone out of the window!!
I'm ordering a new exhaust and having two new tyres fitted next week when we get back in the UK. Does that count as sufficiently off topic?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back