Driving Test C1+E ( to remove 107) (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I'm going to do it at my young age. To enable me on my C1+E pre 1997 licence to tow a trailer above 750kg I can take a practical only test which if I pass will remove the 107 code from my licence and ensure I tow legally.
Training cost is £125 + vat per half day, don't know cost of test yet.
Assessment run next week :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Good Luck with the test:thumb:
But what a load of clap trap, we old uns have been pulling tons in trailers for years and need a test
All of a sudden those born 20 years later have a built in skill and dont need a test
Bulls**t at its best:Doh:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I want to do the same thing it time, so question, local or national firm, if the later may I ask who?

I tryed ringing various local places to me (Brum) and not one had a clue about requirments etc:Doh:

Good luck:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
But what a load of clap trap, we old uns have been pulling tons in trailers for years and need a test
All of a sudden those born 20 years later have a built in skill and dont need a test

Geo have a look at the last couple of posts on RVOC ' this licence , weight etc ' between Olley and me.

It still looks like I'm OK as I am. ??
but I will do my assessment run anyway, the mind boggles

Larry

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I would do it anyway! At least you have the peace of mind, and for that fee seems worthwhile- especially when the fines are £1000 per ton!

Good luck with it, and let us know how you get on!

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I want to do the same thing it time, so question, local or national firm, if the later may I ask who?

I tryed ringing various local places to me (Brum) and not one had a clue about requirments etc:Doh:

Good luck:thumb:

I contacted a local firm re training and test.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I would do it anyway! At least you have the peace of mind, and for that fee seems worthwhile- especially when the fines are £1000 per ton!

Good luck with it, and let us know how you get on!

Thanks, as I am happy with 7500kg gvw but just want to increase trailer weight this is the cheapest simplest route.
BUT is it necessary ?? :Eeek::Eeek:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
As I say, I would do it! - If you were stopped by VOSA and they deemed your trailer to be over 750kg, then you will get and butt whipping! 750kg equates to a small box trailer - which would hardly be good for towing behind an RV! Would be fine going forwards, but reversing something you can't see isn't easy! lol!

Just to add - the cheaper way would be a smaller tow vehicle! A 5.5t RV would give you a towing capacity of 2.75t. This would not exceed the grandfather restricted tow weight of 8.25.

The new test allows drivers that take the C1E to have unrestricted access giving a train weight of 12t - which would give the extra trailer weight.

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Geo have a look at the last couple of posts on RVOC ' this licence , weight etc ' between Olley and me.

It still looks like I'm OK as I am. ??
but I will do my assessment run anyway, the mind boggles

Larry
Had a look, I like Olleys interpretation
What does he charge to represent you in court:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Had a look, I like Olleys interpretation
What does he charge to represent you in court:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Thanks Geo

What I am doing in the meantime is getting my Brian James trailer re plated from 1400kg to 1125kg mam . This will with the trailer kerbweight of 300kg plus the toad kerbweight of 800kg + a bit of fuel, keeps me under the 8250kg gtw with the RV gvw of 7121kg, until I pass my test, as I prefer to use my A Frame. BOGGLE :Eeek:

Larry

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I have been doing some sums, and with your current outfit you will be able to tow a smart car, on a smart car trailer, and stay legal! Smart tow do a trailer, and that with a smart will leave 79kg spare!

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have been doing some sums, and with your current outfit you will be able to tow a smart car, on a smart car trailer, and stay legal! Smart tow do a trailer, and that with a smart will leave 79kg spare!

Yes thats right but we have preferred the Peugeot 107 as it has 4 seats and more space and when at home is a good 2nd car. As it stands we can stay within the law with re plating our present trailer which will do until I pass my test

Thanks Larry

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Yes thats right but we have preferred the Peugeot 107 as it has 4 seats and more space and when at home is a good 2nd car. As it stands we can stay within the law with re plating our present trailer which will do until I pass my test

Thanks Larry

If you pick up a smart car trailer (which it will fit on) you will have a measley 4kg spare! So you would be legal!

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If you pick up a smart car trailer (which it will fit on) you will have a measley 4kg spare! So you would be legal!

I already have a Brian James Micro Max trailer which is sold for Smart Cars, and with this and my 107 can operate legally.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
As long as the BJ trailer is 300kg - then yes. The smart tow one was an ultra light, so not sure if it is lighter? Have a check! If so, then you will be under maximum train weight, taking the vehicles weight and remainder allowance into consideration.

You just have to be VERY sure of what load you put on the RV, and do not exceed you max load of 7121kg

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
As long as the BJ trailer is 300kg - then yes. The smart tow one was an ultra light, so not sure if it is lighter? Have a check! If so, then you will be under maximum train weight, taking the vehicles weight and remainder allowance into consideration.

You just have to be VERY sure of what load you put on the RV, and do not exceed you max load of 7121kg

Normally run at 7000kg all up so no problem

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Larry when you pass the test you want to show em whats for
Get a tow bar on the toad,
then A frame it with your trailor on the back:thumb:

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Larry when you pass the test you want to show em whats for
Get a tow bar on the toad,
then A frame it with your trailor on the back:thumb:

Lets have a CONVOY :ROFLMAO:

tompyn

Free Member
May 5, 2008
Devon
Funster No
Exp
Just started
Excuse my ignorance,but what doe's the 107 code mean on your licence??

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It means you have restrictions on trailor towing see previous post above
can be found in columb 12 on the plastic bit

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It limits your trailer to 750kg and your gross train weight to 8250kg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm going to do it at my young age. To enable me on my C1+E pre 1997 licence to tow a trailer above 750kg I can take a practical only test which if I pass will remove the 107 code from my licence and ensure I tow legally.
Training cost is £125 + vat per half day, don't know cost of test yet.
Assessment run next week :thumb:

not according to the DfT website....

Motoring

Car licences held before 1 January 1997

All drivers who passed a car test before 1 January 1997 retain their existing entitlement to tow trailers until their licence expires. This means they are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM. They also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kgs MAM.
Drivers who hold subcategory C1+E - limited to 8.25 tonnes MAM, may apply for provisional entitlement to the new subcategory C1+E, in order to take and pass the test which will increase their combined vehicle and trailer entitlement to 12 tonnes MAM. It is not necessary to gain subcategory C1 entitlement first but drivers have to meet higher medical standards, and pass both the category C theory test and the subcategory C1+E practical test.

so...you must pass a C class (think thats a mistake and should be C1 class) theory test AND a C1+E practical test....providing you meet the higher medial criteria.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Oh yes they do Geo!!!!!

a post '97 licence has no C1 entitlement.

you must FIRST pass a C1 test THEN take a C1+E test.

so three tests to tow a 4.5t trailer behind a 7.5t motorhome

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
not according to the DfT website....

Motoring

Car licences held before 1 January 1997

All drivers who passed a car test before 1 January 1997 retain their existing entitlement to tow trailers until their licence expires. This means they are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM. They also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kgs MAM.
Drivers who hold subcategory C1+E - limited to 8.25 tonnes MAM, may apply for provisional entitlement to the new subcategory C1+E, in order to take and pass the test which will increase their combined vehicle and trailer entitlement to 12 tonnes MAM. It is not necessary to gain subcategory C1 entitlement first but drivers have to meet higher medical standards, and pass both the category C theory test and the subcategory C1+E practical test.

so...you must pass a C class (think thats a mistake and should be C1 class) theory test AND a C1+E practical test....providing you meet the higher medial criteria.

Hi Pappajohn

I am going to one of the HGV training centres who have told me that to remove the 107 licence restriction limiting towing to 750kg and train weight to 8250 kg, will entail a practical only driving test , presumably I will end up with a C1+E as post 1997.

Larry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Pappajohn

I am going to one of the HGV training centres who have told me that to remove the 107 licence restriction limiting towing to 750kg and train weight to 8250 kg, will entail a practical only driving test , presumably I will end up with a C1+E as post 1997.

Larry

hope they're right larry.....there again, the DfT dont know their arse from their elbow most of the time.

it also says this on the website....

Drivers who hold subcategory C1+E - limited to 8.25 tonnes MAM, may apply for provisional entitlement to the new subcategory C1+E,

did they tell you that?
its not on your licence 'til you ask for it!!!!

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I am totally confused reading all these threads.. :cry:

My RV is or has an all up weight of 6,800kg,,, My Trailer is 500kg,, the car on the trailer is 900kg = total 8200kg all together.

Am I legal or not ?

I have a C1E license with a code 107..

From the unladen to the laden,, I dont carry any where near what I am able to.6800kg.. (Travel Light as such)

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

My RV is or has an all up weight of 6,800kg,,, My Trailer is 500kg,, the car on the trailer is 900kg = total 8200kg all together.

Am I legal or not ?

From the unladen to the laden,, I dont carry any where near what I am able to.6800kg.. (Travel Light as such)

Old Mo I have a bl##dy headache. All I know is to tow my Peugeot 107 on an aframe I need a C!+E without the 107 endorsement. I will do what I have to do to stay legal.
I read it that with the 107endorsement on the C1+E you have a GTW of 8250kg.

Larry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Am I legal or not ?

probably not Mo.....

its the gross weight of the RV plus the gross weight of the trailer (regardless of what you have on it).

you, personally, can tow a trailer weighing 1450kg MAM (gross weight) regardless of what it weighs unladen providing the train weight isnt exceeded.(yours wont be)

you need to check the gross weight of your trailer on the frame plate(not the kerb weight..ie, unladen) and if its under1450kg then you're ok.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Old Mo I have a bl##dy headache. All I know is to tow my Peugeot 107 on an aframe I need a C!+E without the 107 endorsement. I will do what I have to do to stay legal.
I read it that with the 107endorsement on the C1+E you have a GTW of 8250kg.

Larry

Hi Larry,, I am of the same opinion the 8250kg means that I am just under being legal..

Spose like you had a clean license for nearly 50 years and dont want to blot my copy book now..

I am right arnt I all my lot adds up to being just under the 8250kg,, if not I have been braking the law for months,, and when we came back from Spain I must have been braking the law,, cos I had a Honda Jazz on the back which is a lot heavier than the Kia Picanto,,,

Makes you think about going back to be a tugger,, or 5th wheel again.. :Doh:

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
hope they're right larry.....there again, the DfT dont know their arse from their elbow most of the time.

it also says this on the website....

Drivers who hold subcategory C1+E - limited to 8.25 tonnes MAM, may apply for provisional entitlement to the new subcategory C1+E,

did they tell you that?
its not on your licence 'til you ask for it!!!!

I will get the detail when I go for my assessment drive next week. I hope its not too complicated, but if it is so be it. A man has to do wot a man has to do ::bigsmile:

Larry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back