Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
Does anyone paint the outside of their exhaust to protect against rust.

I know they deteriorate from the inside too, but my 3 year old MH has some exterior rust and I was wondering if it was worth painting it (hammerite?), to slow it down ?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I sincerly hope not:cry:
That would come a close second to folding up non iron crease proof trousers:Doh:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hammerite, er I wouldn't, it stands heat well but certain areas of exhausts are to much, it'll fall off or possibly worse....

You can get (high temperature) exhaust paints but they don't do much against rust, just look nice for a while and then when you're not looking go all rusty again.

At the end of the day it's and exhaust, it's second job is to rust and fall to pieces. Long term, stainless systems will stay looking tidier longed, ie when you replace, or if it's just the tip your looking at you can get those chrome end widgets, personal opinion, a waste of time and money , better off finding a piece of stainless tube thats a snug fit and slip that over the end, or like me weld the bugger on, but hey:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Does anyone paint the outside of their exhaust to protect against rust.

I know they deteriorate from the inside too, but my 3 year old MH has some exterior rust and I was wondering if it was worth painting it (hammerite?), to slow it down ?

I have used Hammerite on my exhaust, but only on the last 6 inches that is visible from normal eye level. This was done only for cosmetic reasons, and as this portion of the exhaust system is not subject to extremes of temperature, the paint lasted for over a year.
I agree with what has been stated previously, in that painting the whole exhaust system with Hammerite would not be worth the effort.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I wouldn't worry about painting the exhaust - yes high temp paint would be ok, normal paint would just burn off - hammerite would probably catch fire being thicker brush on stuff.

Look at it this way - if you have the time to paint your exhaust, then you have the time to get a pressure washer and spray some cleaner underbody, and blast it off once a month! It would be far more beneficial, and protect your floor as well as your exhaust.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back