Motorhome Axle Weights - Carrying Motorcycle (1 Viewer)

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
2017-09-13 10.23.29.jpg
2017-09-13 10.20.01.jpg
2017-09-13 10.19.54.jpg
Excuse me for hi jacking the thread, but as it's about axle weights, I got round to weighing mine the other day. One of the reasons is I want to carry a scooter on the back and also would like to know what tyre pressures I need.
Mickey.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You've loads there. 440 on front & 580kgs on back. but you still need tokeep under the 4400kgs overall.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
If you have an Alko chassis, with a heavy duty tow bar and chassis mounted rack the heaviest machine you can carry will be around 170 kg (Honda Sh 300 comes to mind). Vic

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
View attachment 185714 View attachment 185713 View attachment 185712 Excuse me for hi jacking the thread, but as it's about axle weights, I got round to weighing mine the other day. One of the reasons is I want to carry a scooter on the back and also would like to know what tyre pressures I need.
Mickey.

Your Back Axle Tyre pressures will depend on the weight imposed as a result of you putting the bike on.
Don't know what tyres you've got on at present but, fill them to the maximum allowed, put the bike on and take the ensemble to the weighbridge. Find the weight of the individual axles and then have a look at this site.
http://the-trudgians.com/tyre-pressure-calculator/

It's for caravans but the principle is the same.

After you've found out what your tyres should be, reduce as appropriate.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ive recently gone up to 70psi from 65psi, the rides a bit harsher but the tyres look right but as ours is a tag you might need a different pressure.

image.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

That's a very useful link but if I were to use it to calculate my own available payload then I would be immediately 75kg out since my brand of motorhome does not include a drivers weight in the published MIRO.

It seems that some manufacturers use their own MIRO definitions and this will inevitably catch a few people out.

All the best,

Andrew

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
That's a very useful link but if I were to use it to calculate my own available payload then I would be immediately 75kg out since my brand of motorhome does not include a drivers weight in the published MIRO.

It seems that some manufacturers use their own MIRO definitions and this will inevitably catch a few people out.

All the best,

Andrew
It seems that some errrr, stretch the truth to Andrew. There was a thread on here not so long ago about an owner rejecting a 3500kg moho because by the time he and his wife were on board they had maxed the MRO out. No clothes, food, water, nothing.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
It seems that some errrr, stretch the truth to Andrew. There was a thread on here not so long ago about an owner rejecting a 3500kg moho because by the time he and his wife were on board they had maxed the MRO out. No clothes, food, water, nothing.

Was that Mickey by any chance Paul. It was a good thread and well done that man.

That said, the worst van we ever came across (and possibly the worst van in motorhome payload history) was the Autotrail Apache 634 (and 632) which has a 1kg payload (one!) once a second leisure battery and the upgraded media pack had been added.

Crickey, they should be struck off for having only 1kg.

Mickey: How about adding semi-air to the rear of that beast of yours. It may prove useful.

Cheers,

Andrew

OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
@Badknee that was me, took it back and got this one from a different dealer.

Mickey.

OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Was that Mickey by any chance Paul. It was a good thread and well done that man.

That said, the worst van we ever came across (and possibly the worst van in motorhome payload history) was the Autotrail Apache 634 (and 632) which has a 1kg payload (one!) once a second leisure battery and the upgraded media pack had been added.

Crickey, they should be struck off for having only 1kg.

Mickey: How about adding semi-air to the rear of that beast of yours. It may prove useful.

Cheers,

Andrew
I'm a newbie Andrew, semi air's gone right over my head.
Mickey.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm a newbie Andrew, semi air's gone right over my head.
Mickey.
It's air bags to help the suspension, called "semi air" because it only assists the original not replaces it which would be "full air".

You can have a 12volt pump and gauge built in for levelling purpose or you can have manual valves and just pump it up as you would a tyre.

Martin

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

Mike, that's a great set-up but can you explain the cabin controls to me please. I'm assuming the button-switch activates the 12v compressor but what are the two gold screw bits. Are they a type of release valve which are placed in-series with the two compressor lines to help adjust the pressure to the two units?

Did you fit the gear yourself and can I be cheeky and ask what it cost.

All the best,

Andrew

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Andrew

The black centre button activates the pump that blows both sides up at the same time. Its wired into the vehicle battery so its best to have the engine running when u do this. The pump is located under the drivers seat on mine.

If I did not already have a pump/compressor from our first motorhome I probably would not bother with one as you do not change the pressures that often and as the airbags are not huge they don't take much time to fill.

The two brass bits are the valves to release air from the airbags on the axle. Each side of the vehicle is independent so you could have a different pressure in each. They cover ordinary car tyre valves which just push in to release the air. If you unscrew the brass bits you could adjust the system pressure using a hand pump if you wanted.

We had other work done at the time so can't remember how much we paid but Dave Newell fitted the system for us.

I think it is all Markel Leisure stuff.
http://marcleleisure.co.uk

Make sure if you have a Fiat Ducato to get the special plate they make to cover the area as it looks a lot neater that the standard oblong plate they supply with the kit.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Andrew

If I did not already have a pump/compressor from our first motorhome I probably would not bother with one as you do not change the pressures that often and as the airbags are not huge they don't take much time to fill.

I agree totally.

We fitted semi-air as our drive is steep and the road has a steep camber. That means we were in danger of grounding the rear overhang when going in and out.

Two minutes with a bicycle track pump increases the pressure sufficiently to clear the problem and another twenty seconds or so allows us time to deflate again to running pressure.

A compressor would have been extra cost and complication that we didn't need. The set-up works well for us.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back