LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
My son in law would like to pass his C1 so he can drive a moho.
He's currently based at Yeovilton in Somerset.

Anyone know where he could learn and how much it would cost?

Thanks.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just google HGV training Somerset. Most training centres will provide tailored courses for the different classes required. Frome and Bridgewater came up but I am sure there are others.
I think it could cost the best part of £1000

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
He will have the pleasure of learning drivers hours etc that he will never use driving a motorhome and have to pay for the pleasure.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
He will have the pleasure of learning drivers hours etc that he will never use driving a motorhome and have to pay for the pleasure.
You don't learn that on the test. That is part of the CPC which you don't need to do for a motorhome :D

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Sorry thought you had to do it for a new license, but not for renewal if only driving a motorhome

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I find it ridiculous that you cannot take a test with a motorhome, to drive a motorhome. After all if it is deemed to be an HGV, then the test should be available to be taken in one. Why drive a truck which has no similarity to it whatsoever. Typical British Bureaucracy, make a rule then make it impossible to carry it out.
Do they have the right to specify the make size and body type? surely it is in the class then fair game.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I find it ridiculous that you cannot take a test with a motorhome, to drive a motorhome. After all if it is deemed to be an HGV, then the test should be available to be taken in one. Why drive a truck which has no similarity to it whatsoever. Typical British Bureaucracy, make a rule then make it impossible to carry it out.
Do they have the right to specify the make size and body type? surely it is in the class then fair game.
I believe You can take it in a motorhome if it matches the requirements. However... Who would drive the motorhome to the test centre for you?

Also I think you would need to fit extra mirrors for the examiner.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Paper work not my best subject, haha. Must pay more attention at the cpc days, well a little more.

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Seems like this C1 licence business is going to keep cropping up in the motor homing world, as is the trailer regs. Vehicles under 3.5T will be popular with those that don't want ( or can't ) to take a test for a larger van or to tow a caravan, but where does that leave owners with a bigger van with a shrinking number of people to sell to.not every van can be downplated.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
£1000? Such a shame it's so much. Thank you all I'll let him know. I thought there was just a short course you could do.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
My son in law would like to pass his C1 so he can drive a moho.
He's currently based at Yeovilton in Somerset.

Anyone know where he could learn and how much it would cost?

Thanks.
Does he need a motorhome over 3500kg?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It's not "Typical British Bureaucracy" at all, its typical fuckwitt EU law.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Seems like this C1 licence business is going to keep cropping up in the motor homing world, as is the trailer regs. Vehicles under 3.5T will be popular with those that don't want ( or can't ) to take a test for a larger van or to tow a caravan, but where does that leave owners with a bigger van with a shrinking number of people to sell to.not every van can be downplated.
When we get out of the bloody EU gravy train we could go back to driving up to 7.5 tonne on a car licence like it used to be but I doubt it. :(

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Do you do any cpc stuff for a motorhome ?
Just not to confuse anyone. What you're talking about is the Driver Qualification Card and although commonly called a CPC it is in fact a Driver CPC, not to be confused with the correct CPC which is Certificate of Professional Competence. This qualification is the basic requirement for a Transport Manager and is either National or International.
The CPC, once gained is for life, whereas the Driver CPC is for 5 years. The CPC does not allow you to drive but the Driver CPC is now a requirement for all HGV (LGV) and PSV (PCV) drivers.
Actually I said not to confuse anyone but it does sound confusing.
The CPC and DCPC are 2 completely different qualifications.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Paper work not my best subject, haha. Must pay more attention at the cpc days, well a little more.
On the Driver CPC, I've never done any paperwork. It's basically classroom work and in essence you could take the same module 5 times to gain your 35 hours of initial training. Once you have the DCPC, you can do 1 day a year (more if you want) for the next 5 years within the qualifying period to keep it rolling on.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Paper work, I should of put class work. I just do 1 day a year in case anything happens or someone else might pay for it. I can live in hope. As far as I am a aware even holding a cpc does not exempt you from the dcpc either if you're driving a hgv.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Paper work, I should of put class work. I just do 1 day a year in case anything happens or someone else might pay for it. I can live in hope. As far as I am a aware even holding a cpc does not exempt you from the dcpc either if you're driving a hgv.
Absolutely correct. I hold CPC National and International and also DCPC which entities me to drive. The CPC doesn't entitle the holder to drive any vehicle.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

It's not "Typical British Bureaucracy" at all, its typical fuckwitt EU law.

Not typical British or any other Bureaucracy.
It's how it is.
No way is (or ever has been) a newly qualified 18 year old car driver competent to drive a 7.5t vehicle.
The C1 category is there because the size and weight of the vehicle needs training to control safely.

Just a thought....many of our vans are taxed as PHGVs.
I can imagine the outcry, mostly from those same folk who knock as anything they don't like, as being stupid and shouldn't apply to them.
If these vehicles were treated as HGVs in every respect..bridge and tunnel tolls, parking fees, insurance, etc.
They would probably then turn magically back into motor caravans, the full HGV rules being stupid and unfair?

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for all the replies.
So it will cost him 1k, how long does it take to do?
He's a Royal Navy helicopter pilot and is trying to schedule it around deployments.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
No way is (or ever has been) a newly qualified 18 year old car driver competent to drive a 7.5t vehicle.
The C1 category is there because the size and weight of the vehicle needs training to control safely.

I never mentioned an age and your wrong. Back before the EU a 21yr old could walk into as an example Salford Van Hire and hire a 7.5t on a full car licence say to move house, I know this because I've done it. I didn't get my LGV licence till I was 27.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back