Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We recently changed the van and now have a Pilote which has the fiat comfortmatic gearbox on a 150hp engine, it's fantastic to drive and have no issues when on the open road but I find it difficult trying to edge back or forward particularly if I'm trying to go up levelling ramps, I think psychologically I'm worried about overshooting the ramps but it needs a certain amount of power to get it up there, it's probably just me getting used to it but just wondered if any of you fellow automatic drivers have any tips please.
Dave

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Keep your left foot hovering over the brake as you go up the ramps. If you feel you are going too far your left foot should react quickly enough, just like punching the clutch down. With traditional automatics you can also apply a liittle bit of brake and accelerator at the same time and gently balance the two to ease it up but not sure how this would work with comformatic, which I believe has an electronic clutch/gearbox. Either way I am sure you will soon get used to it with a bit of practice.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They are a bit iffy at first but once the van has done 500-1000 miles much easier to control. I can reverse up to within an inch of the gutter on my garage without any problem, ramps no problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Dave the Comfortmatic isn't a "true" automatic, it's actually / technically a robotised manual gearbox.
Which means that you can just slip it into manual for all those fiddly bits. Like 5 mph on a campsite. Or ramps.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You might find it helpful to hold the handbrake, lift the revs until you feel the vehicle wants to move, then ease the handbrake to allow it to do so. When it reaches the required position pull the handbrake on hard. You can do all this on a constant throttle with perhaps a slight increase in revs as the van starts to climb. I don't advocate any attempt at left foot braking unless you are well-practised at it during normal driving. It's too easy to engage the wrong foot when you try to stop :Eeek:.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Martin won't do ramps with the auto gearbox. That's a pink job.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Dave the Comfortmatic isn't a "true" automatic, it's actually / technically a robotised manual gearbox.
Which means that you can just slip it into manual for all those fiddly bits. Like 5 mph on a campsite. Or ramps.
Exactly what I was going to say. I've had "semi automatics" for years on my cars. Not as good as a true auto but that's what all "auto" cars now.

Denise

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Exactly what I was going to say. I've had "semi automatics" for years on my cars. Not as good as a true auto but that's what all "auto" cars now.

Denise

I get that but reverse is still reverse without clutch control, same for first gear, that's where the difficulty is, knowing the amount of revs to end up where you want to without going too far

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
You might find it helpful to hold the handbrake, lift the revs until you feel the vehicle wants to move, then ease the handbrake to allow it to do so. When it reaches the required position pull the handbrake on hard. You can do all this on a constant throttle with perhaps a slight increase in revs as the van starts to climb. I don't advocate any attempt at left foot braking unless you are well-practised at it during normal driving. It's too easy to engage the wrong foot when you try to stop :Eeek:.

That's also a worry for me, I'll try the handbrake thechnique I think!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Not as good as a true auto but that's what all "auto" cars now.
I thought this until my wife bought an Audi A1 with DSG auto box, it is absolutely brilliant. Fast, smooth and responsive. The Citroen and Smart automatics I had were not as good as a traditional automatic but the DSG is right up there and beyond. The Mercedes automatic in our motorhome is very good and feels just right for the job it does.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The double-clutch robotised manual (auto) box, which AFAIK includes the Audi DSG, has changed everything. The next gear required is anticipated and pre-engaged then brought into used by disengaging the clutch in current use then engaging the other. It happens smoothly and with almost no delay.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Left foot braking is really awkward with a Comformatic as you only have the standard manual brake peddle, something I really miss after having auto cars with a nice big peddle.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have a VW T5 with a brilliant full auto box, my moho is an Iveco with a Agile box which is a comformatic by another name and there is no comparison, took me a long time to get used it but it did get a better when they plugged it in and updated the software, mines a 7 ton chassis so do have make use of the manual option on a regular basis, wish I could afford a new one with the 7 speed full auto !!!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Left foot braking is really awkward with a Comformatic as you only have the standard manual brake peddle, something I really miss after having auto cars with a nice big peddle.
I have an arthritic right knee - not too bad using the accelerator (only requires a soft touch). But constant braking with my right foot is a complete pain... literally. But with the comfortmatic, and the auto box on the car, no need to ever use the right foot for braking - always now use the left. It has become second nature when driving and no knee pain. :)

Hill starts, and driving up ramps etc, no problem - right foot on accelerator while left foot on the brake. Can stop in a nano-second, if needed when manoeuvring. (y)

I think it was Honest John, in the Daily Telegraph, always used to advocate left foot should always be used for braking when driving automatics, to provide greater control.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've tried left foot braking and have the steering wheel impressions on my forehead to prove it.
Not a natural action.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I too have a Comfortmatic gearbox and while not a true auto I tend to treat it as such and find it problem free. True the brake pedal isn't wide enough but I always left foot brake as I do with all autos, less chance of mistakes particularly when manouvering. As suggested by others a little practice even for tight manouvering you soon feel comfortable. I wouldn't be without it on any vehicle we have the Fiat plus a Toyota with CBT auto and a Volvo with torque converter auto, to me they all feel much the same once you are used to them.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I've tried left foot braking and have the steering wheel impressions on my forehead to prove it.
Not a natural action.
It takes some time to get the hang of it after a lifetime of right foot braking.

But for me it's become completely instinctive. I know what you mean however, pappajohn - when you first try it.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I have an arthritic right knee - not too bad using the accelerator (only requires a soft touch). But constant braking with my right foot is a complete pain... literally. But with the comfortmatic, and the auto box on the car, no need to ever use the right foot for braking - always now use the left. It has become second nature when driving and no knee pain. :)

Hill starts, and driving up ramps etc, no problem - right foot on accelerator while left foot on the brake. Can stop in a nano-second, if needed when manoeuvring. (y)

I think it was Honest John, in the Daily Telegraph, always used to advocate left foot should always be used for braking when driving automatics, to provide greater control.

Having driven automatics for more than 30 years, I tried but never could get the hang of left foot only braking. Never mind. I agree with the view that the brake pedal for this version should be wider.

The Comfortmatic operation manual's guidance tells you to only use the right foot on the brake as part of the start-up procedure, in either manual or auto mode. That guidance isn't repeated elsewhere in the manual, but (unless I am wrong) I get the impression that Fiat's ECU software may assume that there are no situations in which the driver can operate the brake and throttle pedal at the same time. Otherwise I suppose those Italian midget robots might get confused when pushing and pulling the actuators. :(

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Some of the forehead impressions came from my early days driving automatic cars....the clutch pedal doesn't half stop you quick at junctions.

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Some of the forehead impressions came from my early days driving automatic cars....the clutch pedal doesn't half stop you quick at junctions.

I'm still finding that my left leg is hovering over an imaginary clutch when I'm slowing down, doesn't help that my works van is a manual!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm still finding that my left leg is hovering over an imaginary clutch when I'm slowing down, doesn't help that my works van is a manual!
And I expect your left hand will be hovering over the gear stick for years!!!

I 'trained' my left leg by always having it tucked back to the seat, was also driving a manual between times and it helped develop the 'muscle memory' for the auto.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
The Comfortmatic operation manual's guidance tells you to only use the right foot on the brake as part of the start-up procedure, in either manual or auto mode. That guidance isn't repeated elsewhere in the manual, but (unless I am wrong) I get the impression that Fiat's ECU software may assume that there are no situations in which the driver can operate the brake and throttle pedal at the same time. Otherwise I suppose those Italian midget robots might get confused when pushing and pulling the actuators. :(
Just (very) occasionally - when tricky manoeuvring with left foot on brake and right foot on accelerator, I get one of those many alarm signals from the comfortmatic set-up, because both are being pressed simultaneously.

Astro

Free Member
Jul 17, 2016
North Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago I143
Exp
I'm keeping that. It'll be handy even if I never use it.
I have the 150 comformatic gear box and think it's great.
I wondered how it would handle getting on to ramps so I had a practice getting on to a low curb first so I didn't have the fear of over shooting. You could use a speed bump for practicing too.
The 'comformatic brain' handles the clutch in a very progressively and in a predictable way.
The only difference with ramps is you have to pull on the handbrake hard at the right time when at the right level.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just (very) occasionally - when tricky manoeuvring with left foot on brake and right foot on accelerator, I get one of those many alarm signals from the comfortmatic set-up, because both are being pressed simultaneously.
It is a safety feature on many autos to prevent use of bothe pedals together. On my last auto 5 secs on the brake pedal whilst also on throttle would bring on engine check light & limp mode which was only cleared by releasing the accelerator.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back