Disabled showers on site (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Cubicles marked 'disabled' in toilet blocks on camping sites.
Would you use them?
Recently I was on site when all other cubicles were full so I went in disabled only to be greeted on exit by this elderly German man asking me 'you disabled'?
I asked are you? He didn't have no aid which made him look disabled, ok so neither did I but what gives him rights apart from age to act like that !!!
If their empty I would use them, would you??

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
If it wasn't first thing when they can be busy . Maybe.
If I was accosted like you , I'd probably gain a limp and say " Guten morgan " ;)

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I wouldn't judge anybody for using them, as has been mentioned on here many times, you cannot 'see' every disability.
That being said, if I was desperate I would use them, subject to nobody waiting.
They are, I believe, disable access, not disabled only.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Marcus75

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
HYMER b544
Exp
new
I wouldn't judge anybody for using them, as has been mentioned on here many times, you cannot 'see' every disability.
That being said, if I was desperate I would use them, subject to nobody waiting.
They are, I believe, disable access, not disabled only.

they are disabled access yes, not disabled only i agree.

However in my case, having a disabled 8 year old daughter in a wheelchair most of the time, I think it is fair to be bit brassed off when what 'appears' to be a perfectly healthy man bound out of such a facility when we are waiting to use that facility, Especially when it is obvious all the other 'able' cubicles are certainly not in use.
My daughter has not got the ability to use a 'able' facility, i think it is a bit of a cheek for her to have to wait to use a facility to aid her, that is being used by someone who may not need it.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
The thing is there are usually several normal loos available for use by those unaflicted by issues. And if you are not desperate then I would wait for one of them to be free, purely on the basis that someone may be in dire need of the disabled loo due to 'issues' in whatever form. And they don't have the luxury of using another loo. Without being crude, none of us know whether our use of a disabled loo because we can't be bothered to wait, could be the cause of a disabled person messing themselves.

Plus, when did our empathy and moral integrity sink so low that we feel it's ok to make fast and loose with the limited facilities provided for the use of the less abled. It's a sad world we live in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bailey 15
Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
There's no harm in having to wait surely, disabled or not ? We have to wait if other cubicles are full.
Don't get it really, like they've said it's disabled access not ONLY

Marcus75

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
HYMER b544
Exp
new
There's no harm in having to wait surely, disabled or not ? We have to wait if other cubicles are full.

In my case, we cannot get my daughters wheelchair into a normal sized cubicle. If she has to wait for someone who is not disabled and could have quite easily used said normal sized cubicle then that is not right.
It is not a case of disabled access not only, it is about having social awareness just to think that just possibly there might be someone behind you that really has to use that facility, and would love to be able to use a normal facility like anyone else but because they are stuck in that bloody chair, life just gets a bit more difficult and frustrating, things that some people can do without a thought or care in the world, she/we have to plan for.

OP
OP
Bailey 15
Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
W
In my case, we cannot get my daughters wheelchair into a normal sized cubicle. If she has to wait for someone who is not disabled and could have quite easily used said normal sized cubicle then that is not right.
It is not a case of disabled access not only, it is about having social awareness just to think that just possibly there might be someone behind you that really has to use that facility, and would love to be able to use a normal facility like anyone else but because they are stuck in that bloody chair, life just gets a bit more difficult and frustrating, things that some people can do without a thought or care in the world, she/we have to plan for.
Totally sympathatic with anybody disabled but sorry, if you have to wait for such a short time then so be it.
Many disabled people I know don't want to be treated any different or given special treatment anyway .

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015

Same with me my husband. Makes me so angry that those with little or no knowledge or understanding of disability issues can be so glib about using disabled facilities......

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
W

Totally sympathatic with anybody disabled but sorry, if you have to wait for such a short time then so be it.
Many disabled people I know don't want to be treated any different or given special treatment anyway .

Stupid comment. And totally unsympathetic too.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
they are disabled access yes, not disabled only i agree.

However in my case, having a disabled 8 year old daughter in a wheelchair most of the time, I think it is fair to be bit brassed off when what 'appears' to be a perfectly healthy man bound out of such a facility when we are waiting to use that facility, Especially when it is obvious all the other 'able' cubicles are certainly not in use.
My daughter has not got the ability to use a 'able' facility, i think it is a bit of a cheek for her to have to wait to use a facility to aid her, that is being used by someone who may not need it.

I was not advocating the use of disabled facilities as a first choice.
If the able loos are all occupied and I was desperate I would, as said, use disabled access loos.
If you have a bout of diarrhoea or similar your need, in your own view, changes to urgent. I cannot comment on the difficulties you or any disabled person suffer as, thankfully I have never been in your position, but you genuinely have my sympathy.
I really do hope that your daughter is disabled in a way that will allow her to have a full and rewarding life. (This may not read in the way I mean it to, but I hope you will read in the way it is intended).
Geoff

Marcus75

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
HYMER b544
Exp
new
W

It's not about being treated any differently or given special treatment.
It is about being physically being unable to use a non disabled access toilet and having to wait for someone who is capable of using such a facility. That person has a choice and made that choice to use that facility. My daughter does not have that choice, her life is difficult enough as it is without having to wait for someone who could have quite easily used a different facility if they thought that quite possibly someone with a greater need may require it. All we are asking for is that thought.
It seems you feel differently and that is your right of course, you are perfectly entitled to it. I hope that you are not in this position now or in the future where this would affect you.

Marcus75

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
HYMER b544
Exp
new
I was not advocating the use of disabled facilities as a first choice.
If the able loos are all occupied and I was desperate I would, as said, use disabled access loos.
If you have a bout of diarrhoea or similar your need, in your own view, changes to urgent. I cannot comment on the difficulties you or any disabled person suffer as, thankfully I have never been in your position, but you genuinely have my sympathy.
I really do hope that your daughter is disabled in a way that will allow her to have a full and rewarding life. (This may not read in the way I mean it to, but I hope you will read in the way it is intended).
Geoff

Yes, Understood and thank you for your thoughts. She certainly does her best and keeps us on her toes.

I will bow out of this now as I have said all I wish to say, 99% of people we meet are very helpful, welcoming and tolerant and it is those people that we wish to concentrate on and remember.
Good evening all, I now need to wake my daughter up for her to use the bathroom, hopefully my wife and eldest daughter are not already using it! :LOL:

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
At the campsite we used to go to in Spain in the winter you had to have a key to use the disabled facilities.

It's the radar key scheme over here in the UK. Brought in, I imagine, to stop those without a need for disabled facilities, using them.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Totally disgusted with some of the comments I have read in this thread . Hope you never have to deal with a loved one wetting or soiling themselves hope you never have to wipe a loved ones bottom or wash them or dress them . Or Wipe a tear away from a loved ones cheek when they are so upset . This is a daily occurance in many people lIves mine included .
Kate

petrocspals

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
Without access to disabled facilities we would not be able to go away. There are other limiting conditions that may arise because of the medication people need to help with their conditions. This can include urgency or even incontinence.Rarely are disabled people just affected by one issue. We are in the C&MH club because there facilities are fairly standardised and my husband who also has a cognitive impairment can find his way around them once I have opened the door for him. I wish all sites would use the radar key system.I am surprised and saddened by the, lack of empathy shown in some comments ,especially those about waiting. Nobody wants to be treated differently but some times life thrusts difference upon us.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Totally disgusted with some of the comments I have read in this thread . Hope you never have to deal with a loved one wetting or soiling themselves hope you never have to wipe a loved ones bottom or wash them or dress them . Or Wipe a tear away from a loved ones cheek when they are so upset . This is a daily occurance in many people lIves mine included .
Kate
Well said Kate.
Sometimes folk need to realise what they're posting before hitting the blue button.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

Why are you all using site loos and showers when you have a perfectly good one in your Motorhome...?

As for some of the comments on here, you better hope you don't have me waiting outside...:mad:

If you want my toilet/shower then have my disability

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
In hindsight I removed my comment, too emotive a subject to discuss and a motorhome forum is probably not the correct place.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
W

You live your life by your own set of rules.

There are 'disabilities' where the afflicted may, on a frequent basis, urgently need to access a toilet and having to wait for someone without a disability to vacate a toilet could end up with them not making it.

Ian

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
No...would not use disabled toilet. We use our own facs in the motorhome or if we are using site facilities for washing my long hair (which I don't want going down the plug hole in the MH) we get up extra early and get to the first and are finished long before anyone else is around.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
No...would not use disabled toilet. We use our own facs in the motorhome or if we are using site facilities for washing my long hair (which I don't want going down the plug hole in the MH) we get up extra early and get to the first and are finished long before anyone else is around.

I remember when I used to have long hair!!!
I feel your pain!! Xxxx lol

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I will add this, to those of you too selfish to wait a few moments for the a non disabled cubicle to be free, just think on. It could be you who suffers a car crash that disables you. It could be one of your cells that mutates into Bowel or pancreatic cancer nessisitating an illiostomy or collestomy. It could be you struck down with Guillane Barr Syndrome, or a stroke, or crippled with arthritis. You are always a hairs breadth away from a catastrophe that could blight your life and disable you. Count yourselves very fortunate that you have been spared....thus far.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back