When did you change your cam belt? (1 Viewer)

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I am happy to do mine at 5 years with similar low mileage.
If it is something that would worry you thinking about it then do at 4 years as the extra cost (between 4 or 5 year replacements) is less than a tank of fuel.

Reactions: Sue
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Just searched on here and found a thread relating to this in Feb. Seems like the advice is 5 years even if low mileage. Although I notice one post said year of manufacture can mean that date should be brought forward.
So looks like it's a job to be done next year, for us. Pretty expensive too from what I read.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
@Sue, it's a lot more expensive if you DON'T have it done and it breaks. Ten years ago we bought a second-hand Renault Scenic from a trusted garage and drove it to Spain, where we lived for three months. Halfway up a mountain road the cam belt went and it knocked out two valves in the engine. Even with breakdown cover the cost made a big hole in our spending money. When we bought our motorhome the first job we had done was full service and cam belt change.

Reactions: DBK

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Just had mine changed at 6 years as per advice from Fiat.
(2.8tdi, don't do great mileages.)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ours is a chain....the first thing we had checked.
Mine too thankfully,.. I've also had cambers snap in the past and aren't cheap to put right.
Coincidentally also on a Renault scenic with only 40k on the clock think it's cost about £700 to fix

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi
It is "X" miles or. 5 years. Advice from Dr. Raj. Garage owner and top man. (He will be an Older top man now...where did those years go?)
Tea Bag

Reactions: Sue
Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
Hi, our 2008 Renault master based m/h approx 15000 miles on the clock. Checked with previous owner had not had cam belt changed. Had it done in March this year by Renault truck dealer in Carlisle approx cost £600. Cheaper than truck dealer near Edinburgh. Should h have been done 4years ago. Never chance your luck could be expensive.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Did my 2.8 jtd at 28000 miles as no history of it being done since 2003... car one is 84000 or 4 years.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
This is how important dealers regard the changing of cam belts.
We were owner No.3 of our 'van when we bought it (and one of those was a dopey executor of Owner No 2's will who had died!!!)
Our van has had a change of cambelt on each change of ownership.
I've put a tag in the back left corner of my brain to change it in about three years time
(Unless we HAVE to do it because of the mileage we are doing!!!)

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
The advantage of the 100 multijet is it has a cam chain yay.

Incidentally had a cam belt snap many years ago on a 10 month old Vauxhall with 20k on clock while I was parallel parking so not moving quickly.

No cost to me obviously as under warranty and cam belt not due.

Typical - no damage what so ever and car was up and running two hours later.

If it hadn't been under warranty Murphy's Law would have dictated catastrophic damage.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Had mine changed five years ago (about 35k I think) on advice of Dave Newell. He'll be changing it again at next service - just passed 90k. The van is regularly used and driven responsibly so probably not really needed but compare the cost to a new engine.

Many years ago had the cambelt break on my fathers Vauxhall Victor FD when I borrowed it one day to go to work. AA man towed me into a nearby garage, who told me I had been extremely lucky, no damage at all, just new belt and re-timed. Won't be that lucky again!

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
My cambelt came off in France less than 1400 miles after I had it changed and it was about 9000 Euros for a new engine to be fitted and that was 5 years ago, so make sure that it was fitted by a reputable garage as my French mechanic told me there was a bolt missing and that was probably the cause of the belt slipping.

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
I'm afraid most engines today are interference so you will get valve damage if it goes. In addition some cam followers are designed to break as well. Valve stems are a lot smaller in diameter these days so tend to bend when they hit the piston. Just gone through thus on sons A3 diesel, belt had been changed 2 years ago, so far even pulling in favours all new valves , followers , skim head and new head set and cambelt set. Just under £1000 would probably have written car off if garage quoted( getting partial refund from original cambelt supplier) so advice is change on age and mileage even if low miles between changes

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
@Sue, it's a lot more expensive if you DON'T have it done and it breaks. Ten years ago we bought a second-hand Renault Scenic from a trusted garage and drove it to Spain, where we lived for three months. Halfway up a mountain road the cam belt went and it knocked out two valves in the engine. Even with breakdown cover the cost made a big hole in our spending money. When we bought our motorhome the first job we had done was full service and cam belt change.
How old was you Renault? Sounds awful.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Fiat 2.3 engine. 2014 reg. 12000 miles. Read it should be changed at 4 years. Any experience anyone?
DON'T CHANGE IT, AND YOU ARE BEGGING FOR TROUBLE, I WOULD SAY CHANGE IT NOW WITHOUT DELAY IF ONLY FOR PEACE OF MIND,A SMALL PRICE TO PAY ONCE EVERY 4 YEARS, OR WAIT FOR THAT EXPENSIVE PUFF OF SMOKE AND BE PREPARED TO FORK OUT FOR A COMPLETE NEW ENGIN.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
DON'T CHANGE IT, AND YOU ARE BEGGING FOR TROUBLE, I WOULD SAY CHANGE IT NOW WITHOUT DELAY IF ONLY FOR PEACE OF MIND,A SMALL PRICE TO PAY ONCE EVERY 4 YEARS, OR WAIT FOR THAT EXPENSIVE PUFF OF SMOKE AND BE PREPARED TO FORK OUT FOR A COMPLETE NEW ENGIN.
It's just 3 years old, so was thinking we MUST change it ....next year

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
This also begs the question: You buy a second-hand motorhome from a dealer that has had 'a full service', and the said motorhome was, say, 5 years old and no mention of cambelt change in the service history. I would suggest that if the belt breaks within the next four years because it had not been changed the dealer would be liable for the full cost of repair.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
My mh is on the Ducato X250 chassis, manual says 90,000kms or 5 years, not far off both and I'm booked in on Wednesday to have it done. Travelling to Spain the following week so don't want to chance it. By coincidence the other half's mothers car has just had its cambelt snap, quoted £700 for repair :(

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
This also begs the question: You buy a second-hand motorhome from a dealer that has had 'a full service', and the said motorhome was, say, 5 years old and no mention of cambelt change in the service history. I would suggest that if the belt breaks within the next four years because it had not been changed the dealer would be liable for the full cost of repair.

Not a snowballs chance in hell of getting the dealer to suck that mop. Full service does not include replacing the cambelt.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back