driving in france. (1 Viewer)

dorry

Free Member
Jun 19, 2009
Funster No
could anyone give advice to a first time novice driving in france.. traffic island who has right of way? and any french sign on the island I may encouter. many thanks dorry.

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
The best advice I can give is as you come off the ferry just follow the vehicle in front and trust (s)he knows what he's doing. It works a treat. When you get into traffic follow a local vehicle. When you gain confidence you can the go solo.
I've covered many miles in Europe on two and four wheels and find this works.

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
I made the classic boob on my 2nd day came out of the campsite turned right and you guessed it carried on on the left hand side of the road for a few yards until I realised my mistake its the easiest thing to do 1st thing in the morning you only do it once its quite a wake up call :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
could anyone give advice to a first time novice driving in france.. traffic island who has right of way? and any french sign on the island I may encouter. many thanks dorry.

I was going to mention the very occassional Priority A Droite (Give priority to traffic entering from your right) that are 'usually' well signed - it can be just a tad un-nerving to have a CV2 popping out of an obvious side road! Can't do better than point you to Link Removed

Enjoy:Smile:

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I made the classic boob on my 2nd day came out of the campsite turned right and you guessed it carried on on the left hand side of the road for a few yards until I realised my mistake its the easiest thing to do 1st thing in the morning you only do it once its quite a wake up call :Eeek:

I suppose we've all been guilty of that eh?

My usual was petrol stations.

No more though as every time I pull away after stopping anywhere good old TomTom alerts me - come to think of it it's still telling me to drive on the left now I'm back!

BW:Cool:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Baggins have to agree entirely the best help is the TomTom just tells you which way to go around Islands keeps you where you should be, but don't worry after a couple of days you will start to relax and enjoy it. Happy motoring.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Dorry
We landed in Dunkirk Motor home Trailer with smart car, a bit daunting at first never done it before but as others have said just go with the flow, roundabouts and junctions same as here (you do have to watch out for some the traffic joining from the right as they have the right of way not many of those) but most of the time just the same as here but on the other side of course.
I did the wrong side of the road bit once:Doh:BUT that was the first time out after we came back from France:Doh: made the traffic slow down a bit.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just a little reminder I was told, keep your backside in the kerb and you will be right.

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
I find returning to the UK after driving abroad is just as bad, I get to a round about I have to stop and think.

Deleted User

The vast majority of roundabouts operate the same as the UK (except you go round anticlockwise!) as you enter the roundabout, you'll see a give way sign and dotted line on your lane - the sign will either say "cedez le passage" or "vous n' avez pas la priorite"

these mean give way :Smile:

Be carefull if you don't see these signs, as the old system of roundabouts in France is "priorite driote" and people entering the roundabout have priority over those on the roundabout, these are rare now though. but are still found in town centres (the arc du triumphe is a classic example of the chaos the old system causes)

One thing to remember is the speed limits in villages is not signed, but heavily policed (they hide behind hedges and everything!!) entering a village you get a red village sign, this is the start of 50kph, and as you leave the village the sign has a cross through it meaning you can return to 90kph - all other speeds are signed.

Have fun

Mick

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
wrong side

if you have a right hand drive vehicle, its easy, just keep the kerb close to you, the hardest move is a left turn, again if the kerb is nearest to you, no problem, even roundabouts, wont take you long to get it right, enjoy, dont forget , never drive faster than your angels can fly,,, :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
To answer your question who has right of way ? The Frenchman driving the lorry !!

Seriously, the French used to have 'prioritie a droit' this is being phased out so as you approach an island you may well see ' vous n'avez pas prioritie' i.e. give way to vehicles already on the roundabout.

Taking it is easy because if you are driving on the right you naturally follow round anti clockwise.

To ensure you drive on the right, the best thing I have seen is sign reverse printed white on black 'KEEP RIGHT' when laid on the dashboard it reflects the correct way round on the screen

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
The one good piece of info l can give you is THINK, before you set off, which side am l on, etc; also drive carefully, slowly, and read the road. But mainly ENJOY yourself! And relax.

chewy

Free Member
Apr 11, 2009
Funster No
all the above and mainly just take your time go at your pace dont be afraid to double check what your doing... look out for Truda Coo (lets see if anybody out there gets that one)

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Its's got to be French and something like Trou de coup (so go on, what is it?) the suspenders are killing me.

Deleted User
Just to add what I and others posted above, when I'm approaching a "T" junction I say to myself either

"Lefts Lethal"

or

"Rights all right"

Basically the dangerous moves are turning left, as you are crossing the traffic (same as turning right here)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as said before...its so easy when setting off after an overnight stop or if you get in a 'stress' situation (lost at a junction:Blush:) to drive on the 'wrong' side without realising.

easy solution...after tomtom...is tape a note on the steering wheel center...KEEP RIGHT.

works for me most of the time and the locals will soon but you right...:ROFLMAO:

went about 300mtrs down a residential street in a village on the wrong side...looking for somewhere to turn around and not concentrating on what i was doing.

i wondered what the local was doing on the 'wrong' side behind me, flashing his lights and waving like a loony...:Blush:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
I agree with pappajohn but instead of middle of steering wheel when on ferry i put some tape around the right hand side of the steering wheel where my hand normally sits i find this tends to trigger my brain to drive on right

Gerry

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I guess the roundabout situation has been covered now. Here are a few more things to keep in mind.
When your road has signs showing a yellow diamond, you have priority over minor roads joining from the right. When the diamond has a diagonal black line through it, that means you no longer have priority. This is sometimes seen when entering towns. And this is the tricky bit. In built up areas, unless it is clear that a road joining from the right has to give way, assume it has priority over you. Many side roads have solid white lines and Stop signs, but unless you can see these, assume that anything coming from the right will drive straight out in front of you. A Renault Twingo driver makes no allowance for the fact that s/he can nip out, but you need a lot more stopping distance!

Regarding Stop signs, they mean exactly that. You MUST come to a standstill. If you are caught creeping up to and over the line, a fine can be levied. 'Give way' is 'cedez le passage', Stop is STOP.

Cross road signs also need to be observed with care. If you see a sign with a broad black vertical bar and a thinner horizontal one, you have priority over the minor road (just like UK). But if you see a diagonal cross (like a St Andrews Saltire) that is an advisory warning that a cross roads is ahead. These are normally encountered on country roads, and you have to give way to the right. In fact take care on country roads / lanes generally. Often there are no markings and the locals will assume priority to the right, even though your road may look like the more important way.

Just take your time and enjoy. It's a good plan to make sure your passenger is well briefed to 'watch your back' and warn you if you start driving like a Brit, until you get really used to it. And finally, that of course is the time you must maintain concentration. Two or three days in and you will feel at home, and that is the most likely time to turn onto the wrong side of the road, or fail to look left for oncoming traffic on your side.

Philip

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well I'm thick in French then, young Yodel. (Are you really Swiss?)

I do know now coz I just Alta Vista'd it, that a trou de coup is apparently a blow-hole - but I cannot recall having thus far met a whale anywhere upon my travels in Europe although I have seen dolphins several times here and there worldwide, and also a shark in Australia.

Tous droite is another one. (or is it tout?) (ie straight on) Why does this bloke keep saying 'all right' to me ..... I only wanted to know which way to go? Neither did I know feu rouge were traffic lights LOL, until a teenager on a moped kindly drew it for the 'retard motard Anglais' bless him!

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
for some reason I always have more trouble back home a few weeks later generally when driving down narrow roads with no markings....I suddenly find myself very indesisive and wondering which side of the road I ought to be on......

chewy

Free Member
Apr 11, 2009
Funster No
Alright! what is Truda coo? Put me out of my misery.
Un Trou is a Hole Un cul is an A** (Backside) so a Truda Coo is an A** hole... I have a french mate who mutters it all the time when driving ..usually followed by de Belge.. (It seems Belgians are equivalent to Irish when it comes to jokes & abuse)
Missed my chance to get one over on Wogan with that one !

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
as it is so easy to start off driving on the left I suggest that when you park you ALWAYS do so on the continental side of the road , so that if you drive off that side you are right ...and RIGHT , if you see what I mean

by the way , they don't have cul de sac's in france ....they have impasses !

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Un Trou is a Hole Un cul is an A** (Backside) so a Truda Coo is an A** hole... I have a french mate who mutters it all the time when driving ..usually followed by de Belge.. (It seems Belgians are equivalent to Irish when it comes to jokes & abuse)
Missed my chance to get one over on Wogan with that one !

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:i was wondering how to explain that to Sedge! Well ...you've done it!

Amicalement

Frankie:roflmto:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Well I'm thick in French then, young Yodel.thanks for that:Blush:(Are you really Swiss?) NOOOOOOOOOO i'M FRENCH !!!!! I do know now coz I just Alta Vista'd it, that a trou de coup is apparently a blow-hole - but I cannot recall having thus far met a whale anywhere upon my travels in Europe although I have seen dolphins several times here and there worldwide, and also a shark in Australia.

Tous droite is another one. (or is it tout?)YES THAT'S THE RIGHT ONE (ie straight on) Why does this bloke keep saying 'all right' to me I DON'T HAVE THE CLUE ..... I only wanted to know which way to go? Neither did I know feu rouge were traffic lights LOL, until a teenager on a moped kindly drew it for the 'retard motard Anglais'DON'T GET THAT BIT...ARE YOU SURE HE SAID THAT??? IT DOESN T MAKE ANY SENSE TO ME bless him!

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back