david32

Free Member
Jul 23, 2008
N Ireland
Funster No
MH
C/B
Exp
Anyone got any idea how to get a alloy rear wheel of a M/H that is seized on i been hitting it with a rubber mallet now for 4 hours i have now give it up as a bad job. Tried all the rest they are the same so when i do fine some way of getting them off how do i stop them from seizing on again. Hope someone on the froum can help me.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Anyone got any idea how to get a alloy rear wheel of a M/H that is seized on i been hitting it with a rubber mallet now for 4 hours i have now give it up as a bad job. Tried all the rest they are the same so when i do fine some way of getting them off how do i stop them from seizing on again. Hope someone on the froum can help me.

Try loosening the wheel nuts and gently lower the the vehicle back down, the weight of the vehicle will probably free it . When replacing the wheel smeer grease on the inside to stop it sticking again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

happytraveller123

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Funster No
siezed alloys

try pouring hotwater around where the alloy fixes to the wheel studs . then hit wheel from behind while turning it . i have on occasion had to use a lump hammer and a block of wood on some cars . be very carefull while balanced on a jack and use a axle stand ! once off wire brush contact area and brush on a coating of copperslip grease . wheels will come off easy every time from then on .

sanandreas

Free Member
Sep 20, 2008
Derby
Funster No
MH
C class
Try using a blow lamp if you can apply the heat without damage to wheel centre - disimilar metals expand a different rates - you'll hear a crack as the seal breaks.

Roy

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
The only way to get them off my range rover is to slacken the wheelnuts then move the car about very slowly until it broke the seal, then when putting it back on put copperslip in the center of the hub to make it easier next time.

John

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
forget the rubber mallet...too bouncy.

a 2lb lump hammer and a block of soft wood on the inside of the rim....dont be afraid to hit it..hard.
the soft wood will prevent damage to the rim but dont hit it end grain on...it may split and damage the tyre.

keep turning the wheel a small amount regularly until it pops off.

it wont be the studholes that have corroded but the hub center corroded to the hub lip.

as others have said.....clean the wheel center and the hub lip then apply a little copperslip/brake grease to both surfaces.
regular grease will wash out in time...copperslip wont.

last time i had one do this it took 10minutes with a 4lb lump hammer :Eeek:

firebladejim

Free Member
Jan 15, 2010
Barton Le Clay
Funster No
MH
Knaus
Exp
Raise the vehicle on an axle stand then kick the top of the wheel/tyre inwards with the sole of your feet to get it off, it might take a few good kicks, never fails and wont damage a thing, except your foot if not careful.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Raise the vehicle on an axle stand then kick the top of the wheel/tyre inwards with the sole of your feet to get it off, it might take a few good kicks, never fails and wont damage a thing, except your foot if not careful.

you've obviously never had one thats really corroded on Jim....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

By the way....welcome to the fun...:thumb:

Mick H

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Near Leicester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30 yrs
I too had this problem. In my case it was one of the rear wheels, so my solution was to Jack up the vehicle and place an axle stand under the back axle to give approx two inches clearance when it was lowered again.
With all five wheel bolts loosened, I then released the hydraulic jack, as quickly as I could, so that the full weight came to bear on the wheel. This worked first time.

Obviously you need to take care that nothing can go wrong, by providing any additional support that might be required, and keeping anyone else out of the way, just in case.

Future prevention is by using "Copperslip", or similar, as others have advised, also I now make a point of removing all wheels, as part of my service schedule

Mick H.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Alloy wheels

hi guys,yep the only way you will get them off is with a hammer and a block of wood.make sure your motorhome is on level ground,dont forget to chock the wheels back and front.jack up the side you wish to remove high enough to put an axle stand under and drop the weight of the vechicle onto the stand.release the handbrake and place the block of wood at the back of the wheel and hit with the hammer,turning the wheel so that you hammer off evenly all round.hard work but its the only way.then as some other members have said always apply copper grease to the rear of the wheel where it makes contact with the hub.finally make sure you re-torque the wheel nuts to the correct tightness.the torque settings will be in the vechicle handbook. hope this helps:thumb: regards brian,jo & josh:winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I cannot help with getting them off apart from perhaps going for a run and do repeated heavy breaking stints
Get the hub good and hot and that will transfer to the ally wheels.
Ally expands more than steel so you would have a good chance of getting them off.
I would be inclined to get a LONG lump of 4 x 4 timber and use it as a ram
A rubber mallet is sadly not that effective agin something the size of a wheel.
Use a piece of plywood between your make shift battering ram and the wheel to protect it and spread the shock.

Once off I would use Corrosion Block grease.
Whilst Brians suggestion of Copperslip is ok, it is a bit yesterday ( sorry Brian :Smile: )

Corrosion Block grease stops any future corrosion of ally and will make a darned good job of inhibiting rust on steel too.

If you cannot find any locally ( look for someone selling ACF-50 or if you have a small air drome close by you might be able to scrounge a little ) drop me a PM

Sorry.. Just read the other replies and P J's would be a good move before you try my method

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
how to get alloy wheels off

I have had this problem many times in the course of my work,(mot testing,repairs etc ).And a tip I was given some time ago was to pour a small amount of coca cola or in my case pepsi max between the road wheel and the hub(don't forget to leave enough for the vodka for afterwards).I have used this method loads of times and it has never yet failed to release the wheel within minutes.hope this helps ,good luck. steve.:thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Alloy and steel just dont like each other! When ally wheels get stuck its more a nuisance than anything. Still, with all the advice you've had I should think you must have them off by now?!! :Smile:

Sometimes get the same problem extracting over tightened spark plugs from aluminium heads, though this can have far more serious issues than getting a stubborn wheel removed!

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Been their many times and have many 'T' shirts.
Listen to pappajohn comment, but I would use a 7 lb lump hammer. Take off all the other 3 wheels and clean the hub centers and grease them so you don't have the problem at the road side. :thumb:
PK

MicraMan

Free Member
Feb 9, 2010
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Motor Caravan
Exp
Cocca Cola

In fact Cocca Cola warmed to 40 degrees c is the best for eating through rust and freeing things up, in a recent test it beat WD40 and AC90 ! I kid you not. Give it a try.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Plain water beats WD40 ( and does not rot neoprene like WD40 does !!! )

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Go and boil your head you ignorant git!!!

Plasma.

Now then Plasma, thats no way for a chap from the wirral to speak. Or are you just trying to sound posh when you really live in Rock Ferry. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim
:roflmto:
Edit: And when you say shipbuider your really a Welder

plasma

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Now then Plasma, thats no way for a chap from the wirral to speak. Or are you just trying to sound posh when you really live in Rock Ferry. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim
:roflmto:
Edit: And when you say shipbuider your really a Welder

No Jim i am not a welder and dont live in rockferry but i am sick of people like that.

Plasma.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back