What is the general opinion to who to insure with (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
ok peeps, its insurance time of year again, valued opinions as to choice please ?

Almost impossible to answer without a person's personal requirements.

Age of MH

Age and number of drivers

Mileage one drives(not always relevant)

Geographical area one wants included - not usually a problem for EU but can be outside

Weight and dimensions of MH, if you want Rescue included, and whether you want only UK or Europe.

Amount of time one is away a) total in year b) siingle trip.

Whether it is parked on the drive, in the road or in storage - then the security level of the storage. Also the postcode of any of these.

Then there is a question of NCB - is it from previous MH, or from a car - some will some won't credit it.

Previous claims record.

Drivers points record.

I may have missed some factors, but you see the variables, and not all companies treat them the same.

You might need to write you requirements down and shop around.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Lots of existing threads on here.
I've just started and gone with Comfort.....seem very good so far,but I haven't had a claim yet. Others have said they were dealt with OK when having to claim.
If I were you I'd get quotes from several of the companies mentioned on the existing threads.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Although I'd always recommend Comfort - very happy with price and service - a check of all the Insurance threads will show that they occasionally have unhappy customers, as do all brokers, and there doesn't seem to be any common reason. Just be consistent and honest with your info.

My advice is get a telephone quote from as many as you can and you'll be surprised at the range. There again as many of them use the same underwriter quotes can be quite close, so then you go for the one you feel happiest with.

Don't forget to have a look at Jims new "Reviews" section, some insurers appearing there.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Lots of existing threads on here.
I've just started and gone with Comfort.....seem very good so far,but I haven't had a claim yet. Others have said they were dealt with OK when having to claim.
If I were you I'd get quotes from several of the companies mentioned on the existing threads.
I unfortunately made a claim with comfort and their service was excellent

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Comfort for us, couple hundred cheaper than Saga and for same terms & conditions

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Many thanks for all the replies, after a considerable trawl (yawn) I connected with the caravan and motor home club £379.00, as apposed to my existing insurer £450.00 and club care came in at £1812.00, WHA WHA, so it looks like I'll be going with caravan and motor home club

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We also went with Caravan and Motorhome Club this time as they bettered our previous insurer by £25.

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Many thanks for all the replies, after a considerable trawl (yawn) I connected with the caravan and motor home club £379.00, as apposed to my existing insurer £450.00 and club care came in at £1812.00, WHA WHA, so it looks like I'll be going with caravan and motor home club

I will need to phone them to make sure that includes euro breakdown ?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Offhand I don't think it does. You need to take out their Red Pennant service for that I believe.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
My quotes ranged from £311 to over £1200. I don't suppose they're like for like but it's a big range.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I approach Insurance as if I was walking into a Bookies.
I'm having a bet with them that I will not have a claim.
They, on the other hand are betting I will.

It's a question of getting the best 'odds'.

That is why, I habitually change Insurance Co's as they have no loyalty bonus (other than NCB and they all give that).
Furthermore I do the same with Utility providers. I'm just about to do that and go for the first time to a minnow as they will save me more than 10% for the same stuff that comes out of the plug/oven/boiler.

If we ALL did that, year on year then we would all see a marked improvement in our Bank Balances.
Banks...... Thats another one.(y)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Today is a sad day, the first time I have not renewed with Safeguard and commenced a dalliance with another, I feel dirty! ;)

Safeguard prices have gone up, very noticeably. This year their best "discounted" price for us was circa £540. We have never claimed in circa 9 years with them either.

So I look at some of these insurance threads, go on the Comfort website and get similar cover for circa £334.

Safeguard were then either unwilling or unable to provide any further reduction to tempt me to stay, but asked me to keep them in mind at my next renewal? Will they then offer competitive prices to tempt new business in the door after having lost a previously loyal customer? Bizarre.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Dear RowleyBirkinQC.
Next year they will use a budget to tempt you back again just like the rest of them. It does not pay to remain loyal to one company these days. I switch nearly every year, its hassle but it pays.
Phil

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Today is a sad day, the first time I have not renewed with Safeguard and commenced a dalliance with another, I feel dirty! ;)

Safeguard prices have gone up, very noticeably. This year their best "discounted" price for us was circa £540. We have never claimed in circa 9 years with them either.

So I look at some of these insurance threads, go on the Comfort website and get similar cover for circa £334.

Safeguard were then either unwilling or unable to provide any further reduction to tempt me to stay, but asked me to keep them in mind at my next renewal? Will they then offer competitive prices to tempt new business in the door after having lost a previously loyal customer? Bizarre.

I am a bit surprised at that as my recent renewal with Safeguard only cost me 1.9% increase. I am paying just over £400 for a £27,000 MH and 5,000 miles a year.

The reason I stick with Safeguard is the 365 days Europe cover(trip limited) and Recovery included(used twice - minor)

Geoff

Husky

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
I appreciate that the premium is a concern but I wouldn't start ringing every Tom, Dick and Harry. That's because when you ring back you'll never speak to the same person. Hence I use NFU Mutual. You're never more than 13 miles from a local office. You can pop in without an appointment and speak to a real person who are all qualified in insurances and can advise you.

Their cover is new for old for the first 2 years of a vehicle being new. Having no shareholders you get a rebate each year. Autoexpress Mag have appointed them 1st place out off all the insurers for about 12 years out of 13 years or so. They are good enough for me so should be for you.

Husky

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
Dorset Driver.
NFU don't do insurance. They are the governing body representing the farming and rural community. You mean the NFU Mutual Insurers which are a seperate diffetent company dealing with insurance and they are the official insurers for the NFU. Pedantic but accurate.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Dorset Driver.
NFU don't do insurance. They are the governing body representing the farming and rural community. You mean the NFU Mutual Insurers which are a seperate diffetent company dealing with insurance and they are the official insurers for the NFU. Pedantic but accurate.
Nothing wrong with a little pedantry now and again.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I appreciate that the premium is a concern but I wouldn't start ringing every Tom, Dick and Harry. That's because when you ring back you'll never speak to the same person. Hence I use NFU Mutual. You're never more than 13 miles from a local office. You can pop in without an appointment and speak to a real person who are all qualified in insurances and can advise you.

Their cover is new for old for the first 2 years of a vehicle being new. Having no shareholders you get a rebate each year. Autoexpress Mag have appointed them 1st place out off all the insurers for about 12 years out of 13 years or so. They are good enough for me so should be for you.
I have been with nfu for as long as I can remember, they are usually not the cheapest but they don't go up on a whim either our van has been with them for 5 years and it is much the same as it has always been £277

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
I have been with nfu for as long as I can remember, they are usually not the cheapest but they don't go up on a whim either our van has been with them for 5 years and it is much the same as it has always been £277

Our insurance is up for renewal soon. We are definitely going to search around this time and NFU are on the list of companies to contact. I like the idea of the local offices as well. A bit more expensive for local contact is reasonable to expect , rather than possibly having to speak with umpteen people in a national/international call centre.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
, rather than possibly having to speak with umpteen people in a national/international call centre.

Only ever spoken to two people at Comfort, maybe 3 when I was trying to sort out a little problem. Just saying.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Wanted to go through NFU as like the idea of local branch,and they have a good claims reputation. But they worked out nearly double what Comfort wanted including breakdown cover,and the policy conditions with Comfort look OK.

Nov 23, 2015
Ramsey, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Montana
Exp
I'm a newbie
My insurance is up for renewal in a weeks time I'm with AXA. They were the only company, apart from NFU Mutual (who wanted an incredible rate) who would offer me insurance because of my age (83). Every one else refused, they said 79 was their cut off point. I'd be interested if any other member has had this problem or got better deals?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
My insurance is up for renewal in a weeks time I'm with AXA. They were the only company, apart from NFU Mutual (who wanted an incredible rate) who would offer me insurance because of my age (83). Every one else refused, they said 79 was their cut off point. I'd be interested if any other member has had this problem or got better deals?
I have a vague recollection that the companies linked to the CC or the CCC have a high upper age limit,but I guess you will have already checked with them. Other than that it might be worth checking with you car insurers or with Saga.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

I am finding the same between the two!!!

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
I am currently looking around for insurance for our recently ordered MH.

Both husband and I have maximum NCB on our cars, but as we're keeping those vehicles then the best I got from most companies was an introductory NCB discount of 3 or 4 years.

Comfort, on the other hand, offered to "mirror" the 15+ years that we each have which has made their quote extremely reasonable, and it includes AA breakdown cover and misfuelling. Haven't bought it yet, but have been very impressed with quote and the lass I spoke to who called to follow up the online enquiry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back