Pilote P740GJ - Anyone have one or similar? (1 Viewer)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi David, I was up in the loft today and I thought this pic of the van roof would help you better plan your solar layout.

All the best,

Andrew

Attachments

• 20170822_163349.jpg
    20170822_163349.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hi David, I was up in the loft today and I thought this pic of the van roof would help you better plan your solar layout.

All the best,

Andrew

Cheers Andrew. Think you know me too well :)

Although it's not like I've been using TPE to work out the shadow angle at our favourite spots or anything :whistle:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Cheers Andrew. Think you know me too well :)

Although it's not like I've been using TPE to work out the shadow angle at our favourite spots or anything :whistle:
I like your style David.

I've just fitted heavy duty carpet tiles to the garage today. They were left over bits so no cost. It will save the floor from knocks.

All the best,

Andrew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• 20170823_142919.jpg
    20170823_142919.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 46

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Team,

We visited a council weighbridge on Thursday morning and with all of our gear, excluding the two mountain bikes @ 30kg, but with full fuel and full fresh water we came in @:

Gross weight: 3,520kg
Front Axle: 1640kg
Rear Axle: 1900Kg

We're up in SW Scotland at the mo so I'll do some calculations when I return to help establish the original manufacturers MIRO figures.

All the best,

Andrew

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Thanks for that, good to get some actual weights and not to rely on the manufacturers figures.
As I will be carrying a motorbike in the garage will blow the 3500k so will get the heavy weight chasis to 4400k.
What extras did you weigh with?
I will be carrying as well as clothes and food, normal things.
120kg motorbike
2 bikes
Inflatable kayak
Table and 4 chairs
Awning
Sat dish and tv
Solar panels

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Last edited:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
David, Jands, Dave et al,

I've come up with a few figures regarding the Pilote-advertised MIRO of a P740GJ and how it compares to my own realtime numbers.

1. Sensation MIRO as per Pilote figures: 2,970Kg
2. My registered MTPLM: 3,650Kg
3. My gross weight as per weighbridge: 3,520Kg
4. My gross calculated payload (see note below): 575Kg
5. My available unused payload (axle dependent): 130Kg

.......so therefore: 3650kg - (575kg + 130kg) = 2,945Kg

Note: My '575Kg figure' is based on everything from the weight of our new toothpaste tube to a full fuel & water tank(s), solar, GRP-sides, the missus and I, to the 3kg of carpet tiles I've just fitted in the boot and the weight of the 4kg of gas remaining in my gas bottle; I've gone through the lot in fine detail.

Although our scales are incredibly accurate I still have to throw in the caveat that my gross mass calculation may have a few very minor discrepancies. That said, the figures above show that the MIRO of my own van is better than the original one advertised by -1%, minimum.

I'm really happy with the result.

All the best,

Andrew

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Chaps,

It has been a long day and I think my figures are a bit wonky.

To calculate the variation of the van-build itself I should really use the MIRO figure minus fuel, gas & bottle, water. This means using the new figure of 2,854.95kg because there should not be a +/-5% variation in water/gas/fuel.

If my thinking is correct then I should have an available payload of 795kg (as stated previously) to use for people, fuel, water, accessories etc but in my case I can only manage 705kg (575 + 130kg).

If this is correct then my van weighs 90kg more than it actually should on paper, meaning a +3% variation and not -1% as previously mentioned.

Oops, sorry guys,

Andrew

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Lots of variables in calculating weights from slight inaccuracies of weigh bridge to rounding up and down of all the items that make the MH and added payload.
Pity that manufacturers don't weigh the MH with factory fitted accessories prior to delivery.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Lots of variables in calculating weights from slight inaccuracies of weigh bridge to rounding up and down of all the items that make the MH and added payload.
Pity that manufacturers don't weigh the MH with factory fitted accessories prior to delivery.

I totally agree but what I can be certain is that the weight of our van was between 1 and 100Kg over the manufacturers stated figures:D2 (Not much good as a scientific experiment eh).

The important point for my future plans (mountain bikes etc) is that the contents of our garage came in at only 26.5kg of the 575kg which we added. It therefore looks as if our garage space will only cope with a maximum of between 130 and 160kg based on how we operate and if we can safely 'forward load' more gear to the front overhead lockers.

We had a thoroughly enjoyable time in the SW of Scotland and what we did ascertain is that we've chosen the right MH for our needs in terms of size, quality, living capacity and practicality.

That said, we did find that the chassis was fairly poor in negating roads with cambers and some of the roads around the coastline of Portpatrick were verging on being dangerous for a 7.5m long Pilote.

If you do opt for a heavy chassis @ 4.4T then you will have to be sure that you can use the extra payload safely, since most of the storage volume of this van is behind the rear axle and the risk of riding high at the front, regardless of chassis type, is a significant one.

Cheers,

Andrew

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Don't expect it to be a sports car though.
Want to carry a 120kg motorbike, table and chairs and a couple of bikes, also an inflatable kayak, that might go into the kitchen area when travelling to change weight distribution.

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
You want to be careful about ordering imitation leather or else you might drip out through your socks in the summer. It looks great but the missus and I have specifically avoided it at all costs. It's good for cleaning purposes but other than .............. er, nope.

Andrew, we have the faux leather and have had no problems with it at all. We had a hot week in Cornwall in July and I was sat in shorts and didn't stick to it all.

Diane

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I've never thought of keeping my motorhome in the loft :eek:

Cheeky chappy :)

I don't keep our van in the loft because that's where I keep my car. I did drop the lift by 80cm for the pic and by doing so I almost damaged the screen on the ST13 Pan. It's back where it belongs now ;-)

Attachments

• 20170828_154307.jpg
    20170828_154307.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 43

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

Hi Diane,

I think our preference is plain material. We're simple folk and don't like all that posh stuff :)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006

Hi @Diggerdi , nice to see another Pilote owner enter this thread :)

Thanks for the info on the Faux leather.

Do you mind if I ask, have you had any issues with your van since owning?

How did you find your dealer?

Thanks, David

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Evening all
Has anyone tried to site an inverter anywhere, unfortunately the waste water tank is directly below the seat that houses all the electrics, I was hoping to go out through the floor and into the seat base which is on your right as you enter the van and fix the inverter there, I'm going to have to think again!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Evening all
Has anyone tried to site an inverter anywhere, unfortunately the waste water tank is directly below the seat that houses all the electrics, I was hoping to go out through the floor and into the seat base which is on your right as you enter the van and fix the inverter there, I'm going to have to think again!

Dave, the waste water tank is centrally positioned to the underside albeit as you say it's attached directly to the floor.

All is not lost though; if you drill a whole a few cm's from the battery housing to the Near-Side of the van then you should be able to access the underside without any issues. It's a very clean area under there so you shouldn't succumb to any problems but it will give you a load of space inside to mount the inverter.

Regards,

Andrew

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Dave, the waste water tank is centrally positioned to the underside albeit as you say it's attached directly to the floor.

All is not lost though; if you drill a whole a few cm's from the battery housing to the Near-Side of the van then you should be able to access the underside without any issues. It's a very clean area under there so you shouldn't succumb to any problems but it will give you a load of space inside to mount the inverter.

Regards,

Andrew

Cheers Andrew, are you saying there is a void between the waste water tank and the floor of the van? Must admit I've had a quick scout in there but assumed the waste water tank takes up the area below the batteries.
Thanks
Dave

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Hi Diane,

I think our preference is plain material. We're simple folk and don't like all that posh stuff :)

Oy, we isn't posh, but we are mucky pups and faux leather is easy to clean :wasntme:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Cheers Andrew, are you saying there is a void between the waste water tank and the floor of the van? Must admit I've had a quick scout in there but assumed the waste water tank takes up the area below the batteries.
Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave,

If you drill through the floor at the standard battery point which is the closest point to the centre of the van then you'll go straight into the tank. If you measure out a spot next to the Truma heating system (as an example) then you should be fine. You've still got the position of the chassis to consider when drilling but IMO you should be able to find a number of points to use for threading your new wiring.

There are two Truma overflow pipes which exit the underside of the van - you can use these as a positioning indicator for drilling if it helps.

All the best,

Andrew

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
@Wissel, hi, we love our Pilote, it's the P650GJ. The only issues we have had have been minor and sorted by Hayes. During the first week we had two lights problems, the "mood" lighting in the bedroom area was flickering - loose connection in the switch, and the light in the under bed locker was on all the time - faulty contact. Fortunately we were passing Hayes on the way back from Vanbitz so they sorted both in half a hour. Next, we had a faulty rear view/reversing camera monitor which had been flickering but then kept going off completely until we wiggled the cable, then it went altogether. They put in a new monitor and wiring loom to it. I couldn't connect my phone to the radio via bluetooth even though I could play music from phone through it. Again, they just replaced the radio and it worked perfectly. I have no complaints about Hayes at all and would have no hesitation in recommending them.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
@Wissel, hi, we love our Pilote, it's the P650GJ. The only issues we have had have been minor and sorted by Hayes. During the first week we had two lights problems, the "mood" lighting in the bedroom area was flickering - loose connection in the switch, and the light in the under bed locker was on all the time - faulty contact. Fortunately we were passing Hayes on the way back from Vanbitz so they sorted both in half a hour. Next, we had a faulty rear view/reversing camera monitor which had been flickering but then kept going off completely until we wiggled the cable, then it went altogether. They put in a new monitor and wiring loom to it. I couldn't connect my phone to the radio via bluetooth even though I could play music from phone through it. Again, they just replaced the radio and it worked perfectly. I have no complaints about Hayes at all and would have no hesitation in recommending them.

Thanks for that @Diggerdi - just the sort of info I'm after :)

Must admit I'm leaning towards buying from Hayes. Everyone I've spoken to who have used them seems happy.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We've heard nothing but praise for the Hayes Dealership during the period we were looking to purchase our van so, like Diane says, I would be very confident to buy from them. The reason why we discounted Hayes was due to the distance from Durham -just too much of a stretch; still, we settled on SMC in Newark and things have been very good so far (including their after service which we had to use the other day).

The saving grace for you David is that you don't live in Durham as our local Pilote Dealer (11-minute drive from our home) is very low league compared to the rest (and I do mean 'very low league'. They are extremly selective with the vans they take as a PX; they don't do finance for those that wish to purchase via that method; they are unable to supply and fit an Avtex TV (I'm not joking); they charge you £200 for upgrading the van to 3.65T, and the saleswoman who we dealt with was as helpful and as knowledgable as a dead squid.

We went to see their P740GJ which was up for sale in February this year (it is still for sale albeit reduced now) and the only option we had was to keep our 66-plate van and sell it privately while paying cash for the new Pilote!!

The Durham Dealership only sell about 5-6 new Pilote's per year and they struggle with that rate and volume.

That's my wee grumble over:rolleyes: Our experience was just not good at all.

I'm off for a coffee.

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Been to Hayes and found them friendly and helpfully.
Distance wise it's between Hayes and Pullingers also found them friendly and helpfull.
I do feel the Pilote range is good and thought about everything, viewing then can't find anything much to fault, unlike many other brands.
After looking at the P740C it feels like home, and unless anything changes will be mine in 2019.

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Oy, we isn't posh, but we are mucky pups and faux leather is easy to clean :wasntme:

Going for the faux leather too.
Know that cloth will stain within weeks lol
If it's hot I will be outside.
If sticker a throw will sort it out, cheap at BandM and can put it in the washer.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Distance wise it's between Hayes and Pullingers also found them friendly and helpfull.

How have you found the prices of the Pilote range at Pullingers. They seem expensive to me whereas Hayes appear to have the more competitive price list by a few thousand quid.

SMC are competitive and so are the Durham lot (still wouldn't touch them though) while Dicksons of Perth seem a bit OTT on the pricing.

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Expect the final decision as from which dealer will be down to price.
Have to visit both and ask there best price for the spec I want.

Freedom Hunter

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2008
I've been avidly reading all your Pilote Sensation P740GJ posts! And in fact, last Thursday, we bought the said 740GJ Pilote from Robsons near Durham - and at a very good price, i might add - fortunately for us we had the cash and no trade in - though they were happy to take our Autocruise Starburst as part ex if we had not managed to sell it beforehand. So far, they have been excellent and very knowledgeable and helpful regarding our Pilote purchase - we'll see how this continues! We are due to collect it around the 20th September - we can't wait! And we live 375 miles away in Somerset - but this was the last remaining P740GJ available in the country and we just love the whole Pilote style and build and after months of searching, visiting dealers countrywide, could find nothing to match this for fulfilling our tick list. And yes - with the white faux leather! Robsons are fitting the Thule 5200 4.5m awning and a dual control Solar panel, altering the waste pipe by extending the pipe to the side of the van and ensuring the CD/Radio has a live feed to be able to play continuously - all included in the sale price!!. As soon as we collect we are off to Ash at Vanbitz for fitting of a Dometic reversing camera, Striker and Growler alarm and Non Starter MT Tracker - and maybe a few other bits too! We are concerned about the payload, as we have many goodies onboard and I think i shall contact Robsons tomorrow regarding the possibility of upgrading to the 3650T at this late stage - and see if they quote £200!! My concern is, my partner meets 70 years of age in Feb and is going to apply to retain C1. but sticking with the 3500 would be good!
So - i'll keep you posted and continue to keenly watch all your posts!!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I've been avidly reading all your Pilote Sensation P740GJ posts! And in fact, last Thursday, we bought the said 740GJ Pilote from Robsons near Durham - and at a very good price, i might add - fortunately for us we had the cash and no trade in - though they were happy to take our Autocruise Starburst as part ex if we had not managed to sell it beforehand. So far, they have been excellent and very knowledgeable and helpful regarding our Pilote purchase - we'll see how this continues! We are due to collect it around the 20th September - we can't wait! And we live 375 miles away in Somerset - but this was the last remaining P740GJ available in the country and we just love the whole Pilote style and build and after months of searching, visiting dealers countrywide, could find nothing to match this for fulfilling our tick list. And yes - with the white faux leather! Robsons are fitting the Thule 5200 4.5m awning and a dual control Solar panel, altering the waste pipe by extending the pipe to the side of the van and ensuring the CD/Radio has a live feed to be able to play continuously - all included in the sale price!!. As soon as we collect we are off to Ash at Vanbitz for fitting of a Dometic reversing camera, Striker and Growler alarm and Non Starter MT Tracker - and maybe a few other bits too! We are concerned about the payload, as we have many goodies onboard and I think i shall contact Robsons tomorrow regarding the possibility of upgrading to the 3650T at this late stage - and see if they quote £200!! My concern is, my partner meets 70 years of age in Feb and is going to apply to retain C1. but sticking with the 3500 would be good!
So - i'll keep you posted and continue to keenly watch all your posts!!

Hi F-H,

That's great news. I'm chuffed that you've bought your favourite van and I'm really impressed that you're prepared to travel 375-miles each way to collect it; that must be some kind of forum record (y) I think the dealer has had that particular P740GJ sitting on their forecourt for about 10-months and we've been very sad every time we drove past it - it's now found a good home so good news indeed.

That said, (and this is where the honesty kicks in), you now have to be realistic with your payload figures and see if you can go ahead with this purchase based on an MTPLM of 3,500kg. Personally speaking I don't think this type of van should be sold @ 3.5T as it's only that extra 150kg chunk which 'starts' to give the van user some real flexibility.

The actual model which you've reserved has a spare tyre @30-35kg and is underslung way behind the rear axle. You've also added a Thule 5200 awning @ 30.40kg so I think you're now struggling with payload figures.

Also, have you come to some sort of deal regarding warranty issues as 375-miles is a long stretch. There may be a chance that you can access the Hayes Dealership since the Durham guys (so I've been told) seem to like them.

I'm not certain what deal they've done regarding the dual solar unit and the permanent radio feed as these systems are standard kit via the Pilote's auxiliary electrical system. The solar panel is an extra accessory but the internal gubbins are standard - Umm!

If you want any stats/measurements/info then post up and the team and I will help if we can.

Finally, if you do go ahead with the purchase @ 3.5T then what I would suggest is that you stay at the Robsons-own mini camp site for a night or two and test all of the systems before travelling South. I will also provide you with the two local council weighbridges which you can choose to help establish your payload.

Here to help,

Andrew

Freedom Hunter

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2008
Many thanks Andrew - so helpful! A few replies - I've been watching the van since May, as we desperately advertised selling our Starburst. Unsure why the Pilote didn't sell sooner, as the price was good and there were no other similar vans about - maybe it's not a popular model!! I'm thinking that folk prefer to stick sub 7 metres - as we do - but similar vans felt very 'pinched'.
I haven't a clue with the Pilot electrics!! However, I was told the radio was presently connected to the engine battery so would switch off - whatever! But hopefully they will sort it!
Due to the huge and boring distance, we plan to stay on Robsons site for 2 or 3 nights trying everything we can! Then plan on attending the Lincoln motor home show for the 4 nights - if OK, slowly forwards via Malvern and then onto Vanbitz for a few nights and goodie fittings! If we have problems, then back the 150 miles to Wolsingham! Happy days! Then home and hope it will fit in the drive!
Yes, any warranty work required will be a nightmare - hopefully we shall even out any tricky wrinkles over the week. Ongoing, Davans of Weston-super-Mare or Freeborn at Southampton are our local Pilote dealers - we have not approached them yet regarding warranty issues and doubt they will be keen, as they have met us in our motorhome search and both hoped we would buy from them! Any Fiat problems, we can go to the Fiat dealer locally and if it comes to it, provided the habitation issues are not critical we will be spending a few holiday weeks in Wolsingham!! Pilote seem to have a good record and I think I have a good relationship with Lynne at Robson - hope!! A third resort is Hayes, though they are not near either and again, may not be keen to undertake our warranty work!
Regarding the scary payload - we have spreadsheets everywhere and know we are skating on legal thin ice! Age wise my partner would prefer to remain on the 3.5T until he hopefully receives his C1 permissions - he will be 70 in Feb. Fortunately, I will hopefully have 9 more years to be able to drive freely!! We are unsure who it is best to go to regarding upgrading to 3650T, if we can decide we are best to apply for it?? Do we request Robsons before they apply to DVLA for registration this week whilst they await the Pilote conformity paperwork - who actually puts the upgrade request forward - and to whom? Or is it easier to go to SV Tech? Do most selling dealers do this at no cost? We are totally unfamiliar with the procedures.
Last week we stayed in Wolsingham at Melbourne Place, whilst viewing and formalising our purchase. What a lovely and friendly place and a lovely village. When we collect in Sept, we are thinking of sending by courier the equipment we shall need and then coming up by train - via the world it seems! If we drive up, we'll then be separate in a car and motor home - life is never easy!!
Caroline

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back