Free Member
Oct 21, 2008
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
I’ve been a Sky subscriber for longer than I care to remember and finally decided to bite the bullet and cut back on my full viewing package (£47.50pm) in order to make a saving. I decided that I don’t need Movies and could manage with Sports plus 4 of the entertainment packs at a cost of £38.50pm. So I rang Sky to make the change and they advised me that because I was “a long standing valued customer”, I could keep the full viewing package for the next 6 months for 20% less than I’m currently paying. This seemed like a good deal so I said yes, with the intention of making a permanent change to my viewing package when the reduced price deal comes to an end.

Now I don’t know if this is coincidence, but I have a Pace 12v digibox in my motorhome and always take my blue Skycard with me on my travels. I accept that I can’t get Movies & Sports but at least I can get all the other channels. Anyway, today I put my card in my motorhome digibox and an on-screen message comes up saying that this is the wrong card for this box when I try to select Sky 1, Euorsport and other similar channels. Is it something that Sky has done in authorising my reduced price viewing package? I don’t know.

Faced with the prospect of only limited viewing options, I ring Sky to see what they can do about it, telling them that I’m using my viewing card in another box in my holiday home. They suggest that I should get one of their Freesat Cards for a one-off payment of £20 but it doesn’t seem to give access to Eurosport. Sky offer to pair the card with my second digibox but warn that this may take a few hours to come into effect and that I might have problems re-pairing with my Sky+ box when I return home. I decide to take a chance and less than 5 minutes later I have full access to all channels Movies, Sports the lot!!

Sorry to have been so long winded in telling this story. I know from other threads that Sky will pair the card to different boxes but I’ve always shied away from doing this thinking that it would be more trouble than it was worth. Anyway, having got the full Sky package whilst away from home, I’ll be trying it again, assuming that re-pairing with my home Sky+ box is just as easy.

Brian

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
Good result there Brian. :thumb:

We rang them a couple of nights back to cancel our full package, as since getting the m/h hardly watch TV. They offered the reduced fee plus also offered us a free Sky+ package. I was tempted but refused. I mentioned it to a couple of friends who are going to try 'cancelling', (even though they've no intention), just to see if they can get an improved package.

Paul

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Sky

l cancelled sky a couple of years ago, and they were forever ringing me up and offering me all sorts to come back. They offered the full package for £7.50 once, can you believe that? Then they even gave me 3 months for free to entice me back. l refused point blank, to which they asked, "what will it take to get you back to Sky"? l said, "how about you give me £7.50 per month to watch the repeats you keep churning out". No more phone calls since. l will be honest, l haven't missed it either.
Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Brian I had Sky talk & Basic TV package no movies sport etc, I cancelled both and for 12 months I was getting bills and letters re -phone calls bills I was paying to BT, I had to send them photo copies of all there letters stating dates I left them at last No further contact from them for 4 months so I hope that's an end to it. Pete :Angry::Angry:
P's I would not go back for a free service.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Now I don’t know if this is coincidence, but I have a Pace 12v digibox in my motorhome and always take my blue Skycard with me on my travels. I accept that I can’t get Movies & Sports but at least I can get all the other channels. Anyway, today I put my card in my motorhome digibox and an on-screen message comes up saying that this is the wrong card for this box when I try to select Sky 1, Euorsport and other similar channels. Is it something that Sky has done in authorising my reduced price viewing package? I don’t know

basically, you could use a blue sky card in any sky receiver...but the sports and the movie channels would only be avilable on the cards "paired" receiver. you woul dget the "wrong card" message.

If you were getting the "wrong card" message on the non paired box WITH A BLUE SKY CARD, then this is because your new white sky card has been posted to you.

When the "Insert your new card" message is sent, which is the first sign that your new white card is in its way, the software in the box checks to make sure your card is in the corrct box...as your new white card can only be activated in the correct PAIRed box.....

so the "wrong card" message appears on ALL ENCRYPTED channels to warn the user of this,....and to contact Sky to get your card paird to your box so you can activate the new card automatically and correctly.

I am not too sure if I have explained that in the best way..but thats why you were getting wroing car on all channels....your new white card is on its way....and the card / box was telling you that you may have problems as you were using your card in the nonpairee box.

Remember that when you call sky to get your card paired back to your Sky+ box that you tell them it is a sky+ box and to enable the record functions...sometimes they forget...

OP
OP
Benwick Rambler

Benwick Rambler

Free Member
Oct 21, 2008
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Thanks to the Sat & PC Guy. I had an on-screen message today advising that my new White Sky card is in this post. This confirms your view. Hope they don't cut me off for the next 10 days until I get home and start using the White card.

Brian

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
you have about 14 days or so from the time of the message to sirt out your new card.....

otherwise you 'll end up on the phone to sky to sort it out...!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Why have any package at all? I don't and get most of the programmes for free both at home and in bus.

The box is yours and the card will give you the basics including FIVE and so on.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Why have any package at all? I don't and get most of the programmes for free both at home and in bus.

The box is yours and the card will give you the basics including FIVE and so on.

they are also, quietly, going to change all the freesatfrom sky cards so....

so all BLUE YELLOW house cards will cease to work from the 1st October 2009.....

More (shamless plug for my site!) on this forum, including the link to the sky site to see if you are able to get a free replacement card (if you got the freesatfromsky card in the last 3 years!) or not.....

Link Removed

there is also a post on there about recent changes to FIVE.....one of the four Sky regional variations of FIVE has ceased on the "pan european satellite", and been mapped to the Freesat version, which is on the same frequency as bbc2! Causing so many problems here on the costas bue to the weakness of the bbc2 signal.....!
Link Removed

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
they are also, quietly, going to change all the freesatfrom sky cards so....

so all BLUE YELLOW house cards will cease to work from the 1st October 2009.....

More (shamless plug for my site!) on this forum, including the link to the sky site to see if you are able to get a free replacement card (if you got the freesatfromsky card in the last 3 years!) or not.....

Link Removed

there is also a post on there about recent changes to FIVE.....one of the four Sky regional variations of FIVE has ceased on the "pan european satellite", and been mapped to the Freesat version, which is on the same frequency as bbc2! Causing so many problems here on the costas bue to the weakness of the bbc2 signal.....!
Link Removed

Thanxs for that info, nice site BTW:thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I only have the £20 Sky subscription (Sky Freeview I believe) and they recently (2/3 months ago) upgraded my card to the white one and everything worked well, but i have just been away over the weekend and I can't get 5 etc its just showing "this is the wrong card for this set top box"

I don't have Sky at home its just an old basic box in the MH, it worked perfectly when I upgraded from the old card to the new white one but it won't now, we haven't used the MH for a few months so the Sky box has not had any power to it.

When we aren't using the MH the box is turned off (no Power) as we only use it when we are away, this weekend we left if turned on all over the weekend thinking that it would update itself like the old one used to if it had not been used for a long period but after 48 hours it still didn't work,

Any help/suggestions would be very welcome.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i have a suggestion.....kick all the robbing ba**ards into touch...
buy a free to air box and watch loads of channels for free. :thumb:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Hi Brian I had Sky talk & Basic TV package no movies sport etc, I cancelled both and for 12 months I was getting bills and letters re -phone calls bills I was paying to BT, I had to send them photo copies of all there letters stating dates I left them at last No further contact from them for 4 months so I hope that's an end to it. Pete :Angry::Angry:
P's I would not go back for a free service.

Crikey - are they all the same? I'm with Sky now but had horrendous problems with Talktalk when I cancelled with them. I was pleading with them to prosecute me.

tonybrightspark

Free Member
Dec 31, 2009
Kent
Funster No
i have a suggestion.....kick all the robbing ba**ards into touch...
buy a free to air box and watch loads of channels for free. :thumb:

Best thing I ever did going to Humax hard drive Freesat. I would'nt have Sky even if they were the only option.
Tried to cancel subscription even sending a registered letter which they denied all knowledge of ! Worst Customer Service I ever dealt with.
That was 18 months ago, price of Freesat box now recouped, free HD and now able to get BBC IPlayer on unit.

tonybrightspark

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Hi,

I only have the £20 Sky subscription (Sky Freeview I believe) and they recently (2/3 months ago) upgraded my card to the white one and everything worked well, but i have just been away over the weekend and I can't get 5 etc its just showing "this is the wrong card for this set top box"

I don't have Sky at home its just an old basic box in the MH, it worked perfectly when I upgraded from the old card to the new white one but it won't now, we haven't used the MH for a few months so the Sky box has not had any power to it.

When we aren't using the MH the box is turned off (no Power) as we only use it when we are away, this weekend we left if turned on all over the weekend thinking that it would update itself like the old one used to if it had not been used for a long period but after 48 hours it still didn't work,

Any help/suggestions would be very welcome.

Firstly if you pay a monthly subscription of £20, then it is not "sky freeview" - as it is not "free!".
the "this is the wrong card" message appears when the cards go to sleep - ie they have not had a signal from the satellite to keeep them awake. so, ensure the receiver is working and getting a signal...like Sky news, and leave the box turned on (turn off autostandby) and over 24 hours the card should wake up and channels will be back.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't make it clear I don't pay monthly it was just a one off £20 payment, or an amount very similar to allow me to get Channel 5 and a few others.

I understand your suggestion about the card going to sleep and needing to leave the box on standby, as that is exactly what used to happen with the old card, the one before this new white one, but over last weekend we left the box on, or on standby for at least 48 hours and it was still giving the same message.

I suppose the best thing would be to ring Sky and ask, unless anyone has any other suggestions.

I did think of using a FreeSat box as that is what we use at home, but i find the signal strength meter that is built into the sky box so good that it makes setting up the dish position so easy I can't find anything nearly as good.

I have a cheap signal strength meter but that only tells me when i have found a satellite, in most cases NOT the correct one.

Any suggestion would be welcome, also can you receive FreeSat as easy as Sky when in Europe ?

[LEFT said:
Satandpcguy[/LEFT];248304]Firstly if you pay a monthly subscription of £20, then it is not "sky
freeview
" - as it is not "free!".
the "this is the wrong card" message appears when the cards go to sleep -
ie
they have not had a signal from the satellite to
keeep
them awake. so, ensure the receiver is working and getting a signal...like Sky news, and leave the box turned on (turn off
autostandby
) and over 24 hours the card should wake up and channels will be back.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi Braunston,

I know what you mean about tuning using the satellite meter. I bought a Silvercrest sat. receiver some time ago from Lidl and found this to be very useful for tuning the dish.
It gives me a much faster signal meter reading than the sky box as you turn the dish.
I also carry an old sky box but use my card from home so get more channels than are on Freesat.
I can get many channels in Europe but if I had a larger dish I may get many more, but I don't want to carry a big one. :RollEyes:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

Now I don’t know if this is coincidence, but I have a Pace 12v digibox in my motorhome and always take my blue Skycard with me on my travels. I accept that I can’t get Movies & Sports but at least I can get all the other channels. Anyway, today I put my card in my motorhome digibox and an on-screen message comes up saying that this is the wrong card for this box when I try to select Sky 1, SIZE]

Brian[/QUOTE]

Hi, we have sky plus at home and just unplug the box and put it in the motorhome whilst we are away, we have a double lnb so we have no trouble getting the full recording and package.

Ginny

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't make it clear I don't pay monthly it was just a one off £20 payment, or an amount very similar to allow me to get Channel 5 and a few others.

I understand your suggestion about the card going to sleep and needing to leave the box on standby, as that is exactly what used to happen with the old card, the one before this new white one, but over last weekend we left the box on, or on standby for at least 48 hours and it was still giving the same message.

I suppose the best thing would be to ring Sky and ask, unless anyone has any other suggestions.?

MOst the card I have wake up mid morning, mid afternoon, and late night (2amish) when I have to wake them up....I leave the box turned on to Sky 1, (not on standby), turn off autostandby, and when the signal comes along you get the "upgrade to a sky subscription" message and not the "wrong card" message.

Any suggestion would be welcome, also can you receive FreeSat as easy as Sky when in Europe ?
The channels on Freesat receivers use the same frequencies as the channels on a Sky receiver. So if you can get channels on a Sky box you should be able to get the same (FTA) channels on a Freesat receiver.

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years

Link Removed

Word of warning I bought a 'freesat' (???) card from Sky more than 3 years ago and have now been informed that i need to pay another £20 for a replacement card - Robbing b******s:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Moral of the story - if you don't want to pay for Sky subscription any longer buy a true Freesat box and ditch your Sky box cos Sky will have you in the end!

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Word of warning I bought a 'freesat' (???) card from Sky more than 3 years ago and have now been informed that i need to pay another £20 for a replacement card - Robbing b******s:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Moral of the story - if you don't want to pay for Sky subscription any longer buy a true Freesat box and ditch your Sky box cos Sky will have you in the end!

a sky box without a sky card gets the same channels as a sd freesat box....(although the freesta will not show all the pay tv channels you can get, but you do have the freesat and nonfreesat EPG to contend with to get the other 150plus FTA channels that are not on the freesat EPG!)

and freesat is not an option if you want to watch Fiver or Five USA, or make use of strong ITV1 and C4 irish version when travelling around europe (blame the actual channels for that not Sky!!!) And Sky were forced into the FSFS cards by ofcom, otherwise these channels would all be on a subscription package, not a FTV package...as noone else (ITV C4 Five) wanted to fund the FTV cards once the BBC went FTA and pulled out of producing the "solus" cards..

and in the FSFS T&Cs it states that sky will change the card from time to time which may incur a cost....so if they have notified you of this charge how can that be "robbing"?

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
and in the FSFS T&Cs it states that sky will change the card from time to time which may incur a cost....so if they have notified you of this charge how can that be "robbing"?

Oh yeah I always (like everyone else) read T's & C's word for word 14 times before buying - especially when what I am buying is Freesat!!!....and the transaction is done by phone (can't remember them reading T's & C's out to me) - they are Robbing B******s!!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have had issues with Sky in the past (No longer a customer) I had problems with the staff in the call centre etc.

I then wrote to James Murdoch @ sky .com (Took a flyier) and eventually got some action.

The best e-mail to use is CRsupport@bskyb.com they are the people to deal with and they do have the ability to make things happen. They willo take you seriously...

Regards

ShiftZZ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back