Is salt good for you? (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I've been told putting bowls of salt in the 'van helps to reduce moisture. Do you leave the salt in the bowls until spring or do you change the salt every week or so?

Thanks for any advice.

Phil

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
If the van is ventilated so more cold damp air can get in, I cannot see how a bowl of salt would absorb enough water to make any difference. The only thing that would keep it dry is heating the van, which is expensive and bad for the environment.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Taranlass, After reading Peter's posting I don't know whether I've been wasting my time, but I alwys save those little sachets of - think it is silicone or something - that you find in new stationery or handbags (they look like little sachets of salt in crisps), and I scatter them around the van in drawers and the water tank container and cupboards for over winter. I hoped that they would help keep my van dry but just in a small way.:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I've been told putting bowls of salt in the 'van helps to reduce moisture. Do you leave the salt in the bowls until spring or do you change the salt every week or so?

Thanks for any advice.

Phil
Hi Phil, the salt bowls are not going to hurt anything.Rather than throw it away just pop them in the oven to dry out and use again :thumb:

movan, the name you want is silica gel crystals or desiccant - both work the same as salt :thumb:
Personally I do not use anything but do put the heating on the day before we want to leave,spreading out the bedding etc, on the seats to warm up / air off.As Peter said it is a expensive hobby to keep things warm all the time and I am not sure as to which is better.If the heating is on very low this may create damp through condensation,and if it is high enough to dry out condensation it will be expensive :Eeek:You pays your money and makes your choice :ROFLMAO:
PS as a foot note I put in a small thermostat controlled oil filled heater in the van set on anti frost setting alongside a min / max temp gage and it went down to 4 f and stayed on until 15 f so as such you will be heating up a lot more than people think :Eeek::Eeek::ROFLMAO:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Forget the salt or heating ..

My advice, keep the van ventilated, roof vents open.. our RV has been in storage for four months, when I visited yesterday it was as dry as a bone, no damp, no condensation.. no musty smell..

keep the salt for your fish supper and your money for diesel :winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Forget the salt or heating ..

My advice, keep the van ventilated, roof vents open.. our RV has been in storage for four months, when I visited yesterday it was as dry as a bone, no damp, no condensation.. no musty smell..

keep the salt for your fish supper and your money for diesel :winky:

:thumb::thumb: Cannot fault that Jim :thumb: if the van is dry then it will be dry :ROFLMAO:the heater only serves to warm things up :ROFLMAO:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
:thumb::thumb: Cannot fault that Jim :thumb: if the van is dry then it will be dry :ROFLMAO:the heater only serves to warm things up :ROFLMAO:
terry

being a soft Englishman you are excused :roflmto:

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Many thanks everyone.:Smile:

Phil

I'll have to buy rather a lot of fish and chips to use up the kilos of salt. Nevermind, I think I've got sufficient vinegar too!:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back