Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've just completed the installation of a 100 watt solar panel to our Tribute 650, so we are virtually not relying on hook up anymore,

100 watt panel £245 ebay
10amp controller £17 ebay
10 metres of cable with waterproof connections £14 ebay
plastic entry cover with gland nut £6-50 ebay
sika flex 252 £22 ebay

total £284-50 plus my time

John.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've just completed the installation of a 100 watt solar panel to our Tribute 650, so we are virtually not relying on hook up anymore,

100 watt panel £245 ebay
10amp controller £17 ebay
10 metres of cable with waterproof connections £14 ebay
plastic entry cover with gland nut £6-50 ebay
sika flex 252 £22 ebay

total £284-50 plus my time

John.

Hi John, Congrats on the panel, tell me have you laid it flat or can it be angled to face the sun? if its flat you can get another 30% approximately, out of the panel by being able to angel it to face the sun.

Doug...

kennygd

Free Member
Dec 1, 2009
Anywhere in the UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Starting out fulltiming
:Smile:Hello John,
What can yuu run off the 100watt solar panel, does it run direct into the appliance or is the power stored somewhere, I am a bit thick about these panels, did you buy from an ebay shop?
KennyGD:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Doug's right about the angle, but if it's fixed at 30 degrees, it will cause wind resistance as you motor on your merry way, and in theory you'll need to keep moving the van *when parked to get the panel pointing in the direction of the sun.

PS* except at night, I'm reminded by the local literalist as I type!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What can yuu run off the 100watt solar panel, does it run direct into the appliance or is the power stored somewhere, I am a bit thick about these panels, did you buy from an ebay shop?

hi kenny.

panels are a form of battery charger and arent really suitable to directly run appliances.

the output varies depending on the strength of the sun.

in theory a 100w panel will produce 8 amps @ 12v with the sun directly overhead on a very sunny day but will be nearer to 5amps in reality.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Doug's right about the angle, but if it's fixed at 30 degrees, it will cause wind resistance as you motor on your merry way, and in theory you'll need to keep moving the van *when parked to get the panel pointing in the direction of the sun.

PS* except at night, I'm reminded by the local literalist as I type!

You may care to re-read my post again, and have a re-think.

Doug...

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Guessing here....... but unless you have some outlandish ( and heavy ) mechanism to produce the varying angles needed you will have to keep climbing up onto the MH roof to alter it, and even then fixing points would be a problem.

How heavy and fragile are these things ? free standing on the roof ( out of kids way ) would be easier but I suspect it is all to much hassle.

What we need in the UK is an easy and effective way to make rain produce electricity

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Guessing here....... but unless you have some outlandish ( and heavy ) mechanism to produce the varying angles needed you will have to keep climbing up onto the MH roof to alter it, and even then fixing points would be a problem.

How heavy and fragile are these things ? free standing on the roof ( out of kids way ) would be easier but I suspect it is all to much hassle.

What we need in the UK is an easy and effective way to make rain produce electricity

free standing on the roof and one good gust and its free standing on the ground...in pieces..:ROFLMAO:

mine measures around 1.2mtrs X .75mtrs and is heavy and unwieldy so not an option for lifting onto the roof and down again when it can be fixed there permenently.

if you desperately need more solar power then buy a second or bigger one:thumb:

angling towards the sun may give you 30% more output but a second panel will give you 100% more:thumb:

this is what Olley came up with...tilt and track the sun for two panels..
Link Removed

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp

Well your guess was miles off, but I will tell you that a roof rack makes everything easy. but there is a purpose built attachments to do it without the roof rack. easy!!

Doug...

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You may care to re-read my post again, and have a re-think.

Doug...

Well your guess was miles off, but I will tell you that a roof rack makes everything easy. but there is a purpose built attachments to do it without the roof rack. easy!!

Doug...
Mind Readers Wanted
Apply Within:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Doug I know you were referring to 30 degrees vertically, rather than lying flat.

I was making 2 points.

1, If the panel is simply fixed at that angle, there will be much more wind resistance when travelling than if it were laid flat.
2 A level (i.e flat on the roof panel) is the same whatever the relative position of the van. but if you have a fixed, 30 degree panel, you've got to allow for the changing relative position of the sun and the roof of your vehicle.

Not sure from your avatar whether you're also an aviator??

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi John, Congrats on the panel, tell me have you laid it flat or can it be angled to face the sun? if its flat you can get another 30% approximately, out of the panel by being able to angel it to face the sun.

Doug...

Doug's post is quite clear.. he said ... CAN IT BE ANGLED ...

I understood this to mean can the panel be angled as required to face the sun directly rather than lying flat .. no where did he mention having it fixed at 30deg

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
Nice one John:thumb:
Did you have to drill any holes into the roof? I mean for the cables entering MH as i guess you secured panel with silkaflex

Was it a company on Ebay or private seller that you bought from? Have you any photos of finished product

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I removed cab overhead locker front, removed side panelling, removed bed settee framework, because I wanted to hide the cables with out using plastic trunking. I fitted stainless steele bolts in roof rack.

Click on pictures.

Link Removed

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j156/harleyjohn/th_fittingsolarpanel006.jpg[/img][/URL]
Pic 1&2 shows bolts fitted in roof rack

Link Removed

Link Removed
.Pic 3 shows water proof cover with gland nut & trunking with cables inserted all Sikaflexed on roof.

Link Removed
Pic 4 shows the cables through to batteries & some timber strenthening for bed base

Link RemovedU
Pic 5 shows Controller fitted in top locker.

I've finished fitting the panel this morning (Sat), top picture showing the waterproof cable connections, the middle one with the pipe insulation to middle of roofrack support to prevent vibration and the last one is the finished product.

I also had to remove front and rear roof rack bars ,lift them up on scraps of timber to enable getting arms and spanner underneath to tighten fixings. Then fit hole assembly back on to roof rack bolts.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004

Doug...

Hi Doug, yes I've fitted the panel flat as shown above.

John.

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Hello Kenny, It charges my 2 85 amp batteries hopefully will not ever need hook up again.

John.

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Nice one John:thumb:
Did you have to drill any holes into the roof? I mean for the cables entering MH as i guess you secured panel with silkaflex

Was it a company on Ebay or private seller that you bought from? Have you any photos of finished product

Hi Mark, I brought it of a company on E bay wwwesunsolarcom they were selling for £259 or best offer, I offered £249 and they agreed. Yes I drilled 2 holes in roof to bring the wires through I also fitted a water proof cover with cable gland nut which I Sika flexed to the roof.

John.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
free standing on the roof and one good gust and its free standing on the ground...in pieces..:ROFLMAO:

mine measures around 1.2mtrs X .75mtrs and is heavy and unwieldy so not an option for lifting onto the roof and down again when it can be fixed there permenently.

if you desperately need more solar power then buy a second or bigger one:thumb:

angling towards the sun may give you 30% more output but a second panel will give you 100% more:thumb:

this is what Olley came up with...tilt and track the sun for two panels..
Link Removed
Bloody hell John, have seen smaller trailer chassis than that, whats he fitted it on?.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back