Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Compass 2 berth
Exp
since March 09
Hi, just been quoted £170.00 + VAT for annual habitation check (first one) Compass 115 Avantgarde - medium size.

Have been looking at old posts on this generally but wondered if anyone had just had one and what was size of the bill? Would be grateful for any answers - many thanks!:whatthe:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi, just been quoted £170.00 + VAT for annual habitation check (first one) Compass 115 Avantgarde - medium size.
Have been looking at old posts on this generally but wondered if anyone had just had one and what was size of the bill? Would be grateful for any answers - many thanks!:whatthe:

For example my prices:

SERVICE CHARGES
Motorhome Habitation service £135.00 + vat
Mechanical service £145.00 + vat
Single axle caravans £160.00 + vat
Double axle caravans £180.00 + vat

All plus parts and materials

Peter

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs

That's exactly what we've just been quoted and my reaction was the same as yours :Eeek:
Apparently it takes 4 hours for the habitaion check. I don't actually know what this involves, as we have just been sent a letter from the dealer as it is nearly a year since we bought the van now.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what the usual habitaion check involves?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Before you commit contact Mark at C.L.S. he will even call on you if it's on his way.

He's a member on here, I seem to recall he will be cheaper than the quote you have been given. PM him I think his 'handle' is C.L.S.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Before you commit contact Mark at C.L.S. he will even call on you if it's on his way.

He's a member on here, I seem to recall he will be cheaper than the quote you have been given. PM him I think his 'handle' is C.L.S.

Excellent suggestion, Mark covers the Midlands mainly. Just Google Central Leisure Services

Peter

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Its not that the habitation check is of any use, because its not, its imo a waste of money.

The problem that people have is that the warranty will be invalidated unless it is carried out.

There is a Habitation Check List posted on the forum. Do a search and you will see the sought of nonsense that you are paying good money for.

Jim
:Smile:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
There is Dave Newell who advertises on this site::Smile:

Quote from Dave Newells website: (Site Sponsor)

"The work takes around three hours to complete and includes a full electrical system check including 12 and 240 Volt systems, a full damp test and visual inspection, tyre inspection for date type and condition, gas system inspection including regulator age and operation, hoses age and condition and gas tightness. A flue gas analysis is carried out on items such as gas fired space and water heaters. I can also now check Axle weights up to 2000kg per axle. Habitation Service £123.38 inc Vat"

http://www.davenewell.co.uk/

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Dave's got a lovely dog called Dexter too! :Smile:

You need to check what the conditions of your warranty are and/or the contract you took out with your dealer. It may be that you HAVE to take it back to them for the habitation service to stay within the terms of the warranty, however you should NOT have to take it to them for the base vehicle service and so long as you take it to a place that is VAT registered and uses genuine parts for your base vehicle your warranty with the manufacturer should remain intact. For example, we've just had our Rimor base vehicle service done (Ford) at a local garage and including the damp check (not a full habitation as we don't have to have one annually), it cost £149.00 inc VAT.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Its not that the habitation check is of any use, because its not, its imo a waste of money.

The problem that people have is that the warranty will be invalidated unless it is carried out.

There is a Habitation Check List posted on the forum. Do a search and you will see the sought of nonsense that you are paying good money for.

Jim
:Smile:

Got to disagree there - the habitation checks that we used to have on our Burstner caravan included services on the boiler - heating system - gas system - brakes etc etc and if we had the service / habitation done then any problems we had were always sorted FOC ( we did have one or two minor ones) also if anything happens to the van and you have good service records then the insurance will always pay top price because the condition can be proven in the event of a claim. When we sold it the price we got was well over book price as it was in mint condition with a full record we certainly got more than our money back for the care and maintainance we put into it.

mikeange

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
wimborne near new forest
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
2 year (caravan before)

Hi
Just had 2nd habitation service done at Marquis, Poole, Dorset....cost £99-00 (services done for warantee.. 3rd year now)
Had my 2nd service on Bolero 680fb 2008.....£279.84 at fiat / swift agent poole... Essanjay Ltd.Poole.
regards mike

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
There is Dave Newell who advertises on this site::Smile:

Quote from Dave Newells website: (Site Sponsor)

"The work takes around three hours to complete and includes a full electrical system check including 12 and 240 Volt systems, a full damp test and visual inspection, tyre inspection for date type and condition, gas system inspection including regulator age and operation, hoses age and condition and gas tightness. A flue gas analysis is carried out on items such as gas fired space and water heaters. I can also now check Axle weights up to 2000kg per axle. Habitation Service £123.38 inc Vat"

http://www.davenewell.co.uk/

Can I add that Dave does a great job (watch out for the soppy dog :Smile:) There's also a great site across the road http://www.severngorgepark.co.uk/

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Due for my Fiat service and habitation check at Slaters North Wales £400 for both incl VAt . Not the cheapest for sure but it’s the most convenient geographically for me.
Owned a boat for years and never even heard of a b***dy habitation check, IMHO the it’s a warranty rip off that new MOHO owners are all more or less forced to accept .

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
I too have had boats for years and this hab check is new to me too as i said in my post on same matter last week it sounds like money making thing to me

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
we have been quoted £425 for our first 0ne year service on a ford transit duetto includes both vehicle and habitation service, feel tied to it as its the first service and the guarentee will cover any faults hopefully.

whats you opinion of this.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Service

we have been quoted £425 for our first 0ne year service on a ford transit duetto includes both vehicle and habitation service, feel tied to it as its the first service and the guarentee will cover any faults hopefully.

whats you opinion of this.

You don't have to have it serviced with the dealer There probably are cheaper options avail to you but you do need to do your homework For example I have always had my vans serviced at my local garage with warrenty still intact!!

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
SMC - 77 Motors in Newark just quoted me £95 for a service ::bigsmile:, £145 for habitation & £54 for the MOT.:thumb:

Seems good value to me for my Dakota.:roflmto:

woodyold

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Poole
Funster No
MH
panel van
Exp
many
If youve got a marquis motorhome dealers near you theyre doing hab service for £99 inclusive of vat .:winky:

OP
OP
S

suntorfan

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Compass 2 berth
Exp
since March 09
That's exactly what we've just been quoted and my reaction was the same as yours :Eeek:
Apparently it takes 4 hours for the habitaion check. I don't actually know what this involves, as we have just been sent a letter from the dealer as it is nearly a year since we bought the van now.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what the usual habitaion check involves?

Hi there, sending you a PM (haven't done this before so hope you get it!!):Eeek:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Only other comment I would make is that if you buy a new or used Motorhome from me, you get FIVE years free habitation sevices in with the price:thumb:

Peter

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
Hi I had our 1st check done at Brownhills wasn't really impressed after a bill with full service of £625.00.
Second time around asked Mark from CLS to do Hab check £99.00 Mark found damp totalling £2500.00 in Warranty repairs, I had the van serviced at VW commercials for £145.00 inc VAT
Mark does a first class job and I wonder if Brownhills would of conveniently overlooked something that might reflect on the type of checks they carry out at the prices that they charge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back