Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Big brother is really watching now:Eeek:

A suspected car thief who hid from police in thick undergrowth became the first arrest made by a remote-controlled, heat-seeking hover drone.

The Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) - a four-rotor flying camera, operated by a police officer on the ground - spotted the 16-year-old suspect from 300ft away.

Its thermal imaging technology located the teenager on a dark night and pinpointed his hiding place.

The UAV has a top speed of 30mph with a ceiling of 400ft and comes with flashing police lights.

Merseyside Police, who took delivery of this hi-tech tool in November, reckons it can be used from serious firearms incidents and hostage situations to monitoring large public events and football matches. At £40,000 each, are far cheaper to use for small-scale operations than a conventional helicopter.

Chief Inspector Nick Gunatilleke, from the Anti-social Behaviour Taskforce, said: "We are the only police force in the country currently using a UAV like this, and this is the first time the thermal imaging equipment has led directly to an arrest since the UAV went live in November so we are very pleased.

"It also has a wealth of other technology on board and we will use it whenever we can to support other resources such as the force helicopter and dog patrols in dealing with incidents when they arise."

The incident happened in the Bootle area of Liverpool on January 26. A second 20-year-old man was also arrested, and both have since been released on bail pending further inquiries.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004

A suspected car thief who hid from police in thick undergrowth became the first arrest made by a remote-controlled, heat-seeking hover drone.

The Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) - a four-rotor flying camera, operated by a police officer on the ground - spotted the 16-year-old suspect from 300ft away.

Its thermal imaging technology located the teenager on a dark night and pinpointed his hiding place.

The UAV has a top speed of 30mph with a ceiling of 400ft and comes with flashing police lights.

Merseyside Police, who took delivery of this hi-tech tool in November, reckons it can be used from serious firearms incidents and hostage situations to monitoring large public events and football matches. At £40,000 each, are far cheaper to use for small-scale operations than a conventional helicopter.

Chief Inspector Nick Gunatilleke, from the Anti-social Behaviour Taskforce, said: "We are the only police force in the country currently using a UAV like this, and this is the first time the thermal imaging equipment has led directly to an arrest since the UAV went live in November so we are very pleased.

"It also has a wealth of other technology on board and we will use it whenever we can to support other resources such as the force helicopter and dog patrols in dealing with incidents when they arise."

The incident happened in the Bootle area of Liverpool on January 26. A second 20-year-old man was also arrested, and both have since been released on bail pending further inquiries.

I am all for anything that catches the scroats. :thumb:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
At £40,000 each, are far cheaper to use for small-scale operations than a conventional helicopter.

Both youths who were well known to the judiciary were each given 100hrs community service, the judge commented.......the two lads were unaware of this new device so therefore may have well co-operated with the police. All charges were to be paid for by the tax payer.

I could go on but you get my drift :Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve1087

Free Member
Nov 20, 2009
Selby, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
The Force helicopter is a fabulous tool when villains have gone to ground. It used to give me a lovely warm feeling when the chopper led you straight to a suspect that you otherwise could not see. You really felt you had the upper hand when the 'eye in the sky' was there. This sounds like another good piece of kit which will also be useful in search and rescue operations.

Last edited:

grandpabeard

Free Member
Jul 28, 2009
Solihull West Midland
Funster No
MH
demountable
Exp
since May 2009
Its Alright if its used for the fight against crime but it will soon be turned against the man in the street because he is an easier target

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Its Alright if its used for the fight against crime but it will soon be turned against the man in the street because he is an easier target

How long till they strap a speed camera on them?? :Doh:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I wish they'd use one round here - we get sick to death of the helicopter overhead in the middle of the night!!!!:cry:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

This reminded me of a clip shown on a recent TV Police series where a microlight pilot who was giving rides to the public had just taken off with his fare paying passenger onboard when he spotted something odd. A Transit van which did a quick reverse into someones driveway, hitched up a caravan and towed it away. Unbelievably when he looked closer he realised the caravan belonged to a friend of his.....so he called him up on his mobile and asked if he had lent his caravan out to anyone!

The microlight pilot told his passenger what was going on and that he may be in for a longer ride than expected as he began to follow the Transit.

Meanwhile the caravan owner had got in his car to give chase following directions given him by his pal in the microlight.

Eventually the Transit pulled into a lay-by and this was where the owner caught up with the astonished thief. As the microlight was fitted with an onboard video the entire scene was caught on camera.

One very very lucky caravan owner!

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I wonder how long it wil be befor they become a motor home accessory, launch if from your roof, send it ahead to find a aire, land it to reserve the place....all piloted by the passanger.................

Hycon

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
N.E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
just starting
Both youths who were well known to the judiciary were each given 100hrs community service, the judge commented.......the two lads were unaware of this new device so therefore may have well co-operated with the police. All charges were to be paid for by the tax payer.

I could go on but you get my drift :Angry:

So whats the point we the taxpayer pays for the drone and police and then, when they catch the culprits we the taxpayer pays the fine cost etc via the benifits system .
Heads they win tails we lose.:shout:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Probably this one. It will be very interesting when they get the first failure/error and it drops on someone.

No way should it be used over a crowd.

No way can it be used except under ideal weather conditions.

So don't panic just yest unless it's right over you.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ3sa1iGcZo[/ame]

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Now they have this fine machine, why don't they do a proper job and fix a couple of missiles underneath?

Used to great effect in Afghanistan. Saves pilots lives and soldiers on the ground. amazing to think that the remote aircraft is controlled by a pilot sitting in the comfort of an Ops room in the US of A vai satellite. Look on You tube for some interesting videos.!!

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Probably this one. It will be very interesting when they get the first failure/error and it drops on someone.

No way should it be used over a crowd.
No way can it be used except under ideal weather conditions.
[ame][/ame]

There are lots of technical papers from the CAA for professional flying of drones and the Police have quite a few exceptions

The only weather that adversely affects drone flight is wind most of the expensive ones (like mine) are waterproof so that doesn't make a worry

Wish I could afford an infra-red camera the ordinary camera for Phantoms costs well over £400 to replace

So Police drones can fly over crowds for crowd control
they are flown to much stricter controls than civilians ones and one completely different scrambled frequencies
and yes I wish they did fit the police ones with arnament

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
7 years on since the original post and I don't think there's been a massive uptake of drones in use by the emergency services, in comparison to their use by the general public.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
The Eurcopoter (favoured by the police air support service) costs around £6m and is eye wateringly expensive to maintain. £40k seems like a bargain if it gets these little scrotes off the streets! :D

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There are lots of technical papers......................

You've picked up a 7 year old thread here. I've no idea what the video was, it's not working for me now. I really did not realise drones had been around that long.

I do notice a lot more use of them in TV programs now. Highly beneficial at low cost for the likes of Country File.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
This thread is seven, 7, years old!!!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
A battery drone has nothing like the duration, minutes rather hours. Yards rather than miles.
True, but you can have a few spare, £6m would buy 150 of these drones, I'm sure you could keep a few in reserve! :D

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
True, but you can have a few spare, £6m would buy 150 of these drones, I'm sure you could keep a few in reserve! :D

It all depends on the job in hand. Now if was just looking for a burglar doing a runner and every car carried one, that could be a brilliant provided they caught him/her within 10 mins. But we often see the chopper in car chases and there's no battery drone could do that. The military ones can of course but they probably cost as much as a Eurocopter.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I thought others may not have noticed.

I didn't notice until I could not get the video to run and then I spotted the date. I remember now, it was just after Liverpool police demonstrated their new toy in an appalling dangerous manner, flying it at head height near the TV reporter, which may have made for a good TV shot but could just have easily been a shortened reporter.

Funnily enough I've been entertaining my 3 YO granddaughter with my tiny hexcopter today, she loves it. So do I for that matter.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It all depends on the job in hand. Now if was just looking for a burglar doing a runner and every car carried one, that could be a brilliant provided they caught him/her within 10 mins. But we often see the chopper in car chases and there's no battery drone could do that. The military ones can of course but they probably cost as much as a Eurocopter.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the helicopter doesn't have a role, and in car chases, a Eurocopter that can run at around 140mph over land is a valuable tool.

However, hypothetically speaking, if I were to have listened in on the radio traffic from an endlessly hovering helicopter over my house, to discover that they are directing officers to a miscreant who is static, then perhaps the drone is better suited to that role. As @Minxy Girl said, it would be a damn sight quieter!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
then perhaps the drone is better suited to that role.

Could be. But first you have to get it there which may well be a lot slower than a heli. Then you need two maybe three operators ( not cheap ). CAA regulations say a you cannot fly using VR goggles without a safety spotter. I can't see the pilot being able to control direction and pan/zoom the IR camera, so a camera operator. But the real killer is battery life, criminals are not all stupid, if they hear a drone they will know to lie low for 10 minutes or so and it will be off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back